Epic stingy prize money

Titleist

Because the prize money, that none of us would ever win, is not worth our while. Makes sense.

I think Swiss is just joking  :P

I can always do with another good excuse for missing out

Edited by Skubarra

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Prize money is related to spectator support for different sports.

So lets say tennis, rugby, boxing or football, have a massive appeal to the general public in terms of support for individuals or teams.

Other than the big races like the tour or the giro there isnt really mass interest in other cycling events that brings in big TV screening rights deals.

Reckon the tv rights drive the the prize money and competitor pay packets.

Tv rights values are driven by public appetite for the event.

No public appetite = no big cash.

But the amateur participants  providing the cash  - R82K a shot  ^_^

Edited by Mongoose!

But the amateur participants  providing the cash  - R82K a shot  ^_^

I assume they make a handy profit between the sponsorships & entry fees. That doesn't mean the organisers would feel inclined to hand out large portions of it as prize money to the winners.

Prize money would probably only increase if there is a compelling reason for the organisers to do so, I can imagine something like a new competing event luring away the top pros 

Lol, perhaps the average Joe Soap should boycott the race because the pro's prize money is poor by international standards. Pro's are not complaining, they fully aware of the prize money and still do it, quite a number repeatedly. 

I wonder why Wimbledon even bother with prize money.

They could cut it by 70% and the same okes would still come (albeit with grumbling).

They could spread it out along the field and the same okes would still come (albeit with grumbling).

you can't really compare the Epic with anything else. Cape Pioneer Trek tried to beat them at the prize money game and it didn't really make a dent. If anything you can look at the Ironman purse

4/15/2018

IRONMAN African Championship, South Africa

P-4000

$150,000

10/13/2018

IRONMAN World Championship - Kailua-Kona 

N/A

$650,000

Lol, perhaps the average Joe Soap should boycott the race because the pro's prize money is poor by international standards. Pro's are not complaining, they fully aware of the prize money and still do it, quite a number repeatedly. 

epic greediness I guess, all in the name of supply and demand :whistling:

Branden Grace is ranked 27th best golfer in the world at the moment. I chatted to his mom a while back, and she confirmed that when he competes, it is no longer about the money, but the prestige associated with winning big tournaments. For instance, in the the Major, to be played next month, the players are competing for the green jacket worn by the winners circle. The pay cheque is secondary to saying they are major winners. But in saying that, I do feel that when you win that amount of dosh, it truly ceases to be about money in golf. Even if you don't win, and end up last on the final day, you are in the money.

I suppose to a degree, the same applies to winning the Epic. It is more about the prestige associated with winning. Also, I suppose that sponsorships are more readily achieved having won. The winners cheque becomes a mere formality at that stage. 

But then all this pales if you are a soccer player...

Branden Grace is ranked 27th best golfer in the world at the moment. I chatted to his mom a while back, and she confirmed that when he competes, it is no longer about the money, but the prestige associated with winning big tournaments. For instance, in the the Major, to be played next month, the players are competing for the green jacket worn by the winners circle. The pay cheque is secondary to saying they are major winners. But in saying that, I do feel that when you win that amount of dosh, it truly ceases to be about money in golf. Even if you don't win, and end up last on the final day, you are in the money.

I suppose to a degree, the same applies to winning the Epic. It is more about the prestige associated with winning. Also, I suppose that sponsorships are more readily achieved having won. The winners cheque becomes a mere formality at that stage. 

But then all this pales if you are a soccer player...

When you already swimming in moola you can then no longer care I guess.

When you already swimming in moola you can then no longer care I guess.

Unless you are Messi or Ronaldo where it doesn't matter how much as long as it's more than anybody else. That kind of vanity is strange. 

the players are competing for the green jacket worn by the winners circle. The pay cheque is secondary to saying they are major winners.

sounds like a magic green jacket.

When put on, there is no desire for money :D  

Better prize money will result in better growth of the sport. Few people consider cycling as a career as you cannot cycle and live on cardboard at the same time.

Better prize money will result in better growth of the sport. Few people consider cycling as a career as you cannot cycle and live on cardboard at the same time.

That doesn't apply at Epic where all the top racers in the world are already here.

An amateur trying to make his way relying on prize money isn't going to be racing for top spot at a race like the Epic.

That filters down to smaller races and maybe age group where your Matt Lombardi's and Luke Moirs win everything but win nothing. 

Anyone relying on prize money as a privateer isn't going to last on the race scene unless he gets picked up by a #fullfactory team. To do that he probably has to race XCO and not suck, which means racing in Europe, which means a massive trust fund, which very few really driven South Africans have. Most China's with a trust fund spend their lives dabbling and being into stuff and never really letting go of the fact that they don't have to...

This circle of life explains why so few SA bike riders actually make it to the top tier of MTB despite coming from a MTB mad country.... 

Unless you are Messi or Ronaldo where it doesn't matter how much as long as it's more than anybody else. That kind of vanity is strange. 

What I don't get is how these so called footie-stars can take a tumble straight to hospital when an opposing player merely whips his fashionable fringe out of his eyes, and gets paid so much, but heaven forbid a MTB'er should fall, and get back on to finish the ride, and get paid nothing. Think Sabine Spitz and her now (in)famous endo in last year's Epic. Shocking I tell ya, truly shocking.

Better support and sponsorship from the big brands in the cycling industry will make mountain biking in SA a more appealing career choice, not more prize money in events. We unfortunately sit with a dysfunctional national cycling body who’s mandate is to grow the sport (amongst other things).

Let the Hippies bleat about how Ironman is getting rich off the poor entrants. Fact is that we now have pro’s coming out to do our local races a good couple of months before the Epic (and no, its not for the prize money). Many now train in SA in the Off Season and the event has evolved into an international series. Local events are selling out to Ironman as well.

Just out of interest, do you know what rugby players earn from contracts and endorsements opposed to prize money? Prize money does not feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro