Tubeless on the road

Popit

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

they are comparing the 25mm and I hope nobody is using these pressures on actual roads. I run 6 bars in 25mm and used to run 5.8 bars in the last 28mm I had. I can tell you that going back from the F1 to the GP5000 felt like riding a tailwind all the time. I'm just saying it's not a fantastic tyre, but yeah, it has the merit of at least being available in 28mm and be resistant to punctures. But so is the Huntchinson Sector that I have on my training wheels (I got it at cost though, not sure how much that one retails for)

Fair enough. might not be fast, but so far they have been brilliant at puncture resistance for the money.

a good training tire? - maybe not an option at the new pricing.

I have not tried the Hutchinson as yet. i have a set of their 28mm Fusion 5s on my Zipps(25mm inner) they blew out to 32mm once installed. simply massive.

going to give them a test and see how things go - not cheap tires though.

i expect at 32mm they are going to be very slow 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/12/2022 at 2:35 PM, ChrisF said:

I top up sealant about every 3 month, certainly before events.

I also use the Giant tube kit to remove excess "milk" every 6 months.  

After a recent puncture on the HT, aka road bike, the frame was covered in Sludge.  The Giant tube kit only extracted about 15ml of Sludge !!

I absolutely hate removing and refitting a tire .... the tube kit just works SO much better

What is this tube kit that you speak of? 

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

That's the one :thumbup:

Is this any different to the Stans one which I currently use? 

4 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Is this any different to the Stans one which I currently use? 

It is just a syringe and a thin tube that fits inside the valve ....

Pretty sure all brands have added there badge onto it over the years.

The Giant one works okay to extract the old Sludge .... it blocks up when trying to add new sludge into the tire.  The tube is too narrow and the Sludge does its job, and plugs the hole.

I do have another syringe which works better for adding sludge.  The "Giant" is just used for removing old sludge.

PS - I am will be experimenting with an old valve body .... want to find the thickest possible tube that fits into it.  Work from there to the syringe with plastic tubing to get the optimal tool for the job .....

Edited by ChrisF

I use enduro seal in all my bikes, mtb and gravel bikes…even my 28c trainer in the garage(it helps with leaky valves ok lol). Granted my gravel bike is 50C but i ride it on the road most if the time too and i havent filled it in almost a year now. I can still hear sealant sloshing about inside when i turn the wheels so im assuming its good and i havent had any issues yet. My only issue with enduro seal is how much the price has increased since the last time I bought 1L

On 10/18/2022 at 2:54 PM, The Ouzo said:

I cant find Pirellis Cinuratos in 28mm anywhere right now, and when I do they are stupidly priced or they have tanned sidewalls.

So currently running a tube in the rear wheel

Couldn’t find any either. Running one Pirelli and one Vittoria. 

9 hours ago, Jbr said:

no they are not, not when the GP 5000 TL are on special for R800 at least. When they are at ridiculous prices like 1700 then maybe...

image.png.0011caf557d0bc9bc0d74d96b9901c49.png

I didn't say anything the first time you highjacked this post to advertise your tyres but since you insisted...

Racing on the F1 feels like driving with the handbrake on

Most people don't know and most shops won't tell you that the GP5000TL's (as opposed to the TR) are not compatible with hookless tubeless rims. They are also a MASSIVE PITA to get on and off. 

I ran a set of Goodyear F1's for 6000 trouble free kilometres and I'm afraid to say I couldn't feel the 2 watt extra that I had to pedal. I think describing them as a handbrake is slightly dramatic 

10 hours ago, Jbr said:

no they are not, not when the GP 5000 TL are on special for R800 at least. When they are at ridiculous prices like 1700 then maybe...

image.png.0011caf557d0bc9bc0d74d96b9901c49.png

I didn't say anything the first time you highjacked this post to advertise your tyres but since you insisted...

Racing on the F1 feels like driving with the handbrake on

10 hours ago, Furbz said:

Thats a good deal at R800, provided you are running hooked rims. Where is that available and is that for 28mm version?

keep in mind most stores are shelling these off to buy in the newer version 5000 S TR that is compatible with hookless rims. the 5000TL version is not compatible with the latest wheel design.

fair enough about the hijacking of a thread - i was hoping to give people a cost effective option when gonig tubeless. nothing more.

my favourite tire is still the GP5000 tires, they are stunning as they have puncture protection and great rolling resistance.

my issue is paying more than the cost of a tire for a small car for a bike tire, and then having that tire fail early on due to a tire gash from glass on JHB roads. its expensive to run R1400 tires when you only get 3000km on them and have to turf with plenty tread on them due to a glass cut

10 hours ago, Furbz said:

just another totally off topic note. the graph above - are people still running 7 and 8.3 bar pressures!?

9 hours ago, Jbr said:

they are comparing the 25mm and I hope nobody is using these pressures on actual roads. I run 6 bars in 25mm and used to run 5.8 bars in the last 28mm I had. I can tell you that going back from the F1 to the GP5000 felt like riding a tailwind all the time. I'm just saying it's not a fantastic tyre, but yeah, it has the merit of at least being available in 28mm and be resistant to punctures. But so is the Huntchinson Sector that I have on my training wheels (I got it at cost though, not sure how much that one retails for)

When you two are done slapping each other with perfumed doilies can we get a proper fight going please! This place is quietly dull at the moment....

One word for you bitches....Pirelli

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

When you two are done slapping each other with perfumed doilies can we get a proper fight going please! This place is quietly dull at the moment....

Too many punctures according to your strava 😅

Edited by Jbr

10 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Haha - Hambini correctly calls them Pirelli ditch finders 🥸

also heard a few colourful comments from Poga about them on TV 

15 minutes ago, Furbz said:

Haha - Hambini correctly calls them Pirelli ditch finders 🥸

also heard a few colourful comments from Poga about them on TV 

I haven't tried their tubeless but I tried one set with tubes after 2 years of tubeless, (just because they were the only tan walls available at the time 🤣) After 3 punctures in 300km I remembered why I ditched tubes in the first place. Sold them and reverted to some old tires I had in the garage. Then I tried the F1 when they became available in tan walls. Had them for a little while, not one puncture !

4 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I haven't tried their tubeless but I tried one set with tubes after 2 years of tubeless, (just because they were the only tan walls available at the time 🤣) After 3 punctures in 300km I remembered why I ditched tubes in the first place. Sold them and reverted to some old tires I had in the garage. Then I tried the F1 when they became available in tan walls. Had them for a little while, not one puncture !

but which Pirelli's did you try ?

They're not the fastest rolling tyre, but the cinturatos have been marvelous. (and they come in tan sidewall too)

4 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

but which Pirelli's did you try ?

They're not the fastest rolling tyre, but the cinturatos have been marvelous. (and they come in tan sidewall too)

PIRELLI P ZERO VELO 25C CLASSIC 127 TPI TYRE

was in jan 2021 though, at the time the only tan walls available.. the things you do just for looks (had a black bike at the time)

Edited by Jbr