Tubeless on the road

Popit

33 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

What is considered "proper"?
I like maruni but they are scares these days.

The self adhesive ones I wouldn’t trust in the long run, even though I only used one once and it help up great till the end of my ride (and I had no sealant left in my tyre that day).

By proper patch I mean a normal one, where you put real glue, the patch, maybe even some superglue on the outer side of the tyre.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/21/2022 at 11:46 AM, DieselnDust said:

Dynaplug is probably the best plugging solution for a road tyre. 

Where can I find these locally? I had to repair the same puncture three times on Saturday and then just shoved a tube in...

19 minutes ago, Spirog said:

Where can I find these locally? I had to repair the same puncture three times on Saturday and then just shoved a tube in...

Takealot and Evobikes if you are shopping online

1 hour ago, Spirog said:

Bikalot used to be the distributor so maybe give Chris a call to check if he has stock or for a retailer

071 095 4376

Edited by DieselnDust

2 hours ago, Spirog said:

Don't Waste your Money. At least 700 ZAR and they come Loose  (Temporary Repair). (Been There)

Edited by dasilvarsa

17 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Don't Waste your Money. At least 700 ZAR and they come Loose  (Temporary Repair). (Been There)

What's the alternative?

3 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

What's the alternative?

That's my issue. The normal plugs that you shove in to get you home tear big holes in the tyre. I'm happy to remove the tyre and patch it when I'm home, but I'd like to find a roadside solution that will allow me to finish my ride without having to put in a tube.

Just now, Spirog said:

That's my issue. The normal plugs that you shove in to get you home tear big holes in the tyre. I'm happy to remove the tyre and patch it when I'm home, but I'd like to find a roadside solution that will allow me to finish my ride without having to put in a tube.

have you tried OrangeSeal?

1 minute ago, Lanoy Sports said:

Yip. It's currently in my tubes. But, Saturday's cut was too big for the sealant. I know that there are some punctures that the sealant can't seal.

I'm happy with the OrangeSeal, I'm looking for the solution to use when the hole is too big for that...

10 minutes ago, Spirog said:

Yip. It's currently in my tubes. But, Saturday's cut was too big for the sealant. I know that there are some punctures that the sealant can't seal.

I'm happy with the OrangeSeal, I'm looking for the solution to use when the hole is too big for that...

Hmm, that must be one big cut. 

thanks for your support!

i've yet to come across a plug that holds at pressure - i'll do a little research and if i find anything i'll post it here.

i'm currently carrying a Dynaplug kit on my rides - i've yet to need it so i cannot comment on if it will work.

Edited by Lanoy Sports

9 minutes ago, Lanoy Sports said:

Hmm, that must be one big cut. 

thanks for your support!

i've yet to come across a plug that holds at pressure - i'll do a little research and if i find anything i'll post it here.

i'm currently carrying a Dynaplug kit on my rides - i've yet to need it so i cannot comment on if it will work.

Have been running OrangeSeal since April 2021 and have put in around 20 000km.  Zero punctures that I know off in Pretoria roads doing around 1200km a month.  
In the past I would have had around 4-6 punctures every year?  If lucky.

Till date, on the tubeless tyres, only one bad cut which I repaired roadside with a dynaplug.  Held around 1000km and it came out again.  Replaced the tyre. 

6 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Have been running OrangeSeal since April 2021 and have put in around 20 000km.  Zero punctures that I know off in Pretoria roads doing around 1200km a month.  
In the past I would have had around 4-6 punctures every year?  If lucky.

Till date, on the tubeless tyres, only one bad cut which I repaired roadside with a dynaplug.  Held around 1000km and it came out again.  Replaced the tyre. 

Thanks for the feedback - i'm glad it is working for you.

i've stopped buying expensive tires as i find you just have to be unlucky and you are down R1500 to R2k per tire (GP5000 and Vittorias high end tires)

my go to now is Goodyear Eagle F1. i'm still relatively new on them with only 3000km, so far they are wearing well and no punctures riding the cradle area in JHB with has glass all over the place.

nice thing is if i ever do get a cut i don't feel totally upset at replacing the tire at half the price of Gp5000 tires (my favourite tire).

37 minutes ago, Lanoy Sports said:

I'm keen to give orangeseal a go, will get a bottle as soon as I have funds.

Is there really a big difference between the endurance and the normal one ?

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

I'm keen to give orangeseal a go, will get a bottle as soon as I have funds.

Is there really a big difference between the endurance and the normal one ?

Yes, the Regular is better at sealing larger holes.

its also better at high pressure.

that downside is it needs to be topped up more regularly - officially once a month.

i on the other hand have found i can go 2-3 months without needing to top up.

the Endurance is slightly less efficient at high pressure and with larger holes. but does last substantially longer.

i have topped up with Endurance before without any issues noted - my thoughts  are the particles from the regular sealant are already in the tire. provided it did not dry out completely the Endurance should at least in my mind give more fluid for these particles to be suspended in.

Honestly

I'm a Tubeless User

I've Never Managed to Completely Finish a Tubeless Tyre on Sealant. (Road or MTB)

After the First Puncture it's not a Tubeless Tyre Any More.

Even the Small Thorn Punctures Eventually Start Leaking.

To Completely Finish off a Tyre I need to put in a Tube.

Which sort of defeats the Objective.