Interval training

Searching the forum using Tapatalk is a hit and miss affair.

Anyway just found out my TomTom watch can be setup to do interval training.

What is a good interval plan and how often a week should it be done?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Well typically you would prepare for a specific event and interval training is part of a training plan.  Many years ago I got a Excel spreadsheet from Polar with a training program that I used with a reasonable amount of success.  If you are interrested let me know and I will go look for it and mail you it.

It boils down to a 12 or 16 week program with two weeks building and a third week less effort with a combination of interval and lsd rides.  The close you get to you event the more focus is done on intervals up until shortly before the event when you start tapering.

Well typically you would prepare for a specific event and interval training is part of a training plan.  Many years ago I got a Excel spreadsheet from Polar with a training program that I used with a reasonable amount of success.  If you are interrested let me know and I will go look for it and mail you it.

It boils down to a 12 or 16 week program with two weeks building and a third week less effort with a combination of interval and lsd rides.  The close you get to you event the more focus is done on intervals up until shortly before the event when you start tapering.

Thanks, would appreciate the spreadsheet if you can find it.

Searching the forum using Tapatalk is a hit and miss affair.

Anyway just found out my TomTom watch can be setup to do interval training.

What is a good interval plan and how often a week should it be done?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Firstly before you look for a plan, you going to be training based on heat rate or based on using a power meter?

Find yourself a race and download a programme - there are tons that are free or you could pay for it. This will get you familiar with intervals.

"Intervals" can be very simple or very complicated depending on how you want to use them.

Simple - any intervals are better than no intervals. Whether it's just sprinting for city limit signs, smashing each hill and chilling in between - they all make you faster...

Complicated: There is generally a 12-16 week programme that peaks you for a race. It starts with longer lower intensity intervals and moves towards higher intensity shorter intervals towards race day (over simplification!).

Are there any interval training programs available for weekend warriors?

In an ideal world I'd love to be out riding 4 times a week.

But with the little time I do get to ride I'd like to make the most of it and improve my ability.

Chingy182, the spreadsheet I have will help in your case.  You decide how much time a week you have and work from there.  Ideally you would focus on Interval training in the week (that is how used to do it to some extent) on a spinning bike (once or twice a week) and on the weekend get the lower intensity LSD rides in.

In reply to two of the questions that have been asked, I will be using a heart rate monitor and I am also a weekend warrior. Also see this as some intervals are better than none and time is always a limiting factor especially in winter. Will probably use my indoor trainer for this.

Sorry to ask gent is there place where I can download free training programs. Thanks in advance

Chingy182, the spreadsheet I have will help in your case.  You decide how much time a week you have and work from there.  Ideally you would focus on Interval training in the week (that is how used to do it to some extent) on a spinning bike (once or twice a week) and on the weekend get the lower intensity LSD rides in.

Can you send it to me via PM please?

I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise I'll send you my email address if that works

Can you send it to me via PM please?

I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise I'll send you my email address if that works

I will go look for it tonight and then let you guys know.

In reply to two of the questions that have been asked, I will be using a heart rate monitor and I am also a weekend warrior. Also see this as some intervals are better than none and time is always a limiting factor especially in winter. Will probably use my indoor trainer for this.

I do spinning at the gym (Viva) during the week. They use the Myride virtual ride programs, and these are built around interval training. Apparently Virgin also has this. This, combined with circuit and free-weight training such as squats, dead-lifts etc. has resulted in massive gains, both on and off the bike.

I do not race, but my rides are easier. Hills are less of an all-out effort, and long LSD rides are less of a strain the further they go.

All in all, interval training has more benefits, to me at least, than merely a 12 week training block leading up to race day.

I am entered for Karoo to Coast again, and will initiate a more focused interval session before then, but until such time, the spin sessions help a great deal.

I'm very interested in the spreadsheet you have Bateleur1.

Archived