Homeschoolers Not Welcome at Spur MTB League

Shaun Green

In fairness, this is a School's Mountainbike League, where riders representing the schools amass points to determine the overall winning school?

Surely there are many other events that your daughter can enter as well?

I guess its REALLY hard to have different categories at mtb events if schools amassing points is the big issue

The more I think about this the less sense this rule makes - isn't the whole point of these events to grow participation in the sport?

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She does participate in other events, and does well, but the Spur Series is really the premier series for High School age children.

If they are concerned about prize money to be allocated to schools, other arrangements could be made: eg. "you must enter via the nearest participating school".

I absolutely hear you and can understand that you must be super frustrated about this.

Why not try and set something up with the Homeschooling organisation (I assume) and see if there are other parents affected by this, and then petition to enter under the organisation?

The act defines a school as 

Section 51

Homeschooling is not a school, unfortunately. It's a legal means of education.

The School's Act does not govern Sporting Leagues, it governs Schooling. My daughter is willing to participate via a school. The school is happy to have her on the team. She scores lots of points for them.

Okay. Let's change this.

Oh slow one, or Matt or any other mods, how was BikeHub involved with Spur's MTB league? I remember there used to be a dedicated section for that. What happened to it?

Anatomic used to or still do sponsor this series - they have been contacted

They do not give rational reasons. We have imagined that it could relate to the organising and/or prizes. But that cannot be since she was willing to enter via a school.

The smallest school teams consist of only one rider, and usually the Team Manager for that school is the parent of that rider.

It is an Inter-school League, but homeschoolers often participate in leagues like this in other sports. Either via a local school or as part of a Homeschool Association.

Homeschoolers also easily organise themselves into groups if necessary. Why not allow a Provincial Home-schooling Association to enter a team?

They are screwing the cat.

And yes home schooled kids do participate for mainstream schools in other sport.. the school where my boys go to have a golf player and a hockey player who are home schooled.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Anatomic used to or still do sponsor this series - they have been contacted

Great. We have a hubber that's involved with Anatomic as well IIRC?

I've let the relevant persons involved in this specifically know of this thread - there will be feedback, please just remain calm and sensible for a moment  ;)

Complete BS - I am sure this is discriminatory... something Spur seem to not have under control...

Now - where is HarryN...

Ja no, when you call Uncle HarryN, then you know HKGK.

I've let the relevant persons involved in this specifically know of this thread - there will be feedback, please just remain calm and sensible for a moment  ;)

CALM AND SENSIBLE!?

I find it sad that a series that was started as a means to get kids on bikes have become so competitive that it needs a complex law book and that this law book then excludes kids.

#laatdiekindersspeel

Archived