Karoo to Coast

Marichen

I joked at the start I was taking R100 cash to buy a carbon duallie cheap-cheap at the finish, but in the end, the joke was on me: all had left by the time I got there

Well nearly all.

The photographer at the Lagoon couldn’t hold back her laughter as I squelched through the last drag to the finish. The expression on my face is actually priceless. I think it was frozen like that from about Boskak on. Roughly translated into, I’m riding THIS until I’m either effing REMOVED or I get to the END where you WILL give me that medal even IF it’s tomorrow!!

(Never knew I’d care so much about a mass produced metal lump on a silly piece of ribbon )

yea i'll admit from all the useless lumps of stamped metal i received this year....this one definitely means the most. Its by far my most expensive medal to date....

Edited by morneS555

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't wanna jinx it, but could it be any worse than this year? 

/touch wood. 

I was given that exact same process of thinking...

touch wood  :whistling:

Only thing worse would be snow falling on top of Pr Alfreds.

One of the main reasons I do this every year is to enjoy the beauty of nature. Did not like the mess left behind at the waterpoints especially with the wind blowing the cups all over the place .Wish they would make dedicated chuck zones.Even those big fruit bins would do the job.Did not like throwing gel sachets,bar wrappers etc on the ground at the waterpoints because there were no bins or they were full.

My gillet blew out on that long downhill, guy came past at the bottom and said he saw it at the fall out near the top, i could not see myself going back up to get it, hopefully someone picked it up, it was a nice one and still dry

If he saw it blow out - surely it would not have made that much of a diffs to his time if he stopped, picked it up, and pass it back to you when he caught up. Some folks.....

I don't wanna jinx it, but could it be any worse than this year? 

/touch wood. 

the weather a few days before k2c 2019 perhaps? 36*and up? 

funny part is...while we were in Knysna those days prior to the race, i told my wife that i'll rather ride in cold wet weather than that heat. oh how wrong i was.... :lol:

Edited by morneS555

imo your body still take a beating on the route  even though it's "district roads", you have to be a bit fitter when taking on the k2c on a hardtail. Last year a few people passed me on the fast sections the few km's before Simola, not because it's downhills that's above my ability, I was just too damn tired to keep up with my hardtail bumping on the corrugations.

it all depends on HT. With the new geometry and frames made to be more comfortable than ever. I did it last year on my HT and it was a lekker ride for 1 thing nothing climbs like a HT.

I did my first K2C back in 2005(I think) and it was also raining for most of the way. I am wondering which year was worse? Back then bikes were not nearly as advance as they are today, 26 vs 29 ect. Anybody else did K2C back in 2005? What year was worse?

My dad told me of that one.He said they had lots of chain suck and that was what I dreaded most on this one - and had plenty of it too. Unfortunately he did not ride this one so can't really make a comparison. How cold was it in 2005?

My first post in many years on this forum. Congrats to everyone who toughed it out and commiserations to the rest of the entrants.

I did the second ever K2C somewhere in the early 2000's and we hit a mini heat wave, high thirties. I finished in a few seconds over 6 hours but was still in the first half of the field. At the finish the organisers were calling for persons  to assist them to collect participants from the route.

My dad told me of that one.He said they had lots of chain suck and that was what I dreaded most on this one - and had plenty of it too. Unfortunately he did not ride this one so can't really make a comparison. How cold was it in 2005?

It was cold but not freezing.

It was however very, very muddy and the ou-wapad was still a wagon trail.

I went through a set of brake disks after the brake pads wore down to rivets and ate them up. The descent down towards the river crossing before the Simola was a highlight as I realised I had no way of stopping.

I also ground away a new chain and took years of the rest of the drive chain.

Ps.

I found the t-shirt in my cupboard recently and found that 15 years at the bottom of a pile of tees has caused it to shrink around the tummy area...

My first post in many years on this forum. Congrats to everyone who toughed it out and commiserations to the rest of the entrants.

I did the second ever K2C somewhere in the early 2000's and we hit a mini heat wave, high thirties. I finished in a few seconds over 6 hours but was still in the first half of the field. At the finish the organisers were calling for persons  to assist them to collect participants from the route.

2011 as well

That was brutal. Unfit and fat. Broke the 8 hour barrier..... more than 3 hours slower than normal :o

Edited by TIB