Karoo to Coast

Marichen

No K2C thread is complete without this little rant...

However

1 jeeptrack. 

3000 cyclists

Physics 101 tells us no one other than the first few riders are riding up there without being blocked.

It's got nothing to do with skills or fitness - just simple physics 

Going down the other side stay in the jeeptracks,overtaking in the middelmannetjie is going to lead flats and then we will all be passing you !

Please hang on to you water bottles,make sure you bot cages are vas

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the single time I've participated in the Karoo To Coast in 2017, my thoughts are as follows:

Worst walking event ever!  You're forced to drag a bicycle along for the first 10 km...

PS: Writing this was a "big deal" for me, as it's the first time I'm able to publicly talk about it.   :D

Awesome post!!

My first was 2015 and VERY similar experience.  Made damn sure to finish so I would never, ever, have to go back... but I did, last year, and enjoyed it thoroughly.  Back again this year... between 2015 and 2017 I did some really crazy stuff (for me) based on the lessons of suffering learned at K2C 2015  :lol:

See you in 2019!

However

1 jeeptrack. 

3000 cyclists

Physics 101 tells us no one other than the first few riders are riding up there without being blocked.

You forgot that people have no K2C values.... :whistling:

and that Is much harder to fix. E.g.

Me: "oom kan ek track kry asseblief?"

Oom:" Nee, *** jou. Waar moet ek nou eintlik ry?!!!"

Me: "oom Jy ry in die regte lyn and the linker kant het niemand op nie!"

Oom: " jou m**r man. Julle mense moet in die A batch begin,!!"

Me: "oooom.....dit is die A batch ......"

Oom: breathless and confused cos he was supposed to start at the back yet somehow got stewarded into the wrong chute but decide to stick with it anyway

Edited by DieselnDust

However

1 jeeptrack. 

3000 cyclists

Exactly this. And what sours my moer is some D**S coming from behind shouting at us fat folk or a poor child confused with the 3000 cyclist. I've seen it every year that i have done this event. Going on 5/6 this year where these idiots coming from behind shouting about making way between 200 cyclists walking ruining someones day by causing them to fall.

If you want to race get a seeding and start in A. If you are not in A expect to walk and as one of the previous posts, make the best of it and enjoy it.

To important matters: when/how does the bike raffle happen??? I’m probably so slow it happens the day before I get in ????

However

1 jeeptrack. 

3000 cyclists

These days it's a bloody freeway compared to the earlier days  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

To important matters: when/how does the bike raffle happen??? I’m probably so slow it happens the day before I get in

I've only made it once, but i was just in time to see them call the winner  :blush:

I've only made it once, but i was just in time to see them call the winner :blush:

Oh well... was a nice idea while it lasted ???? But seriously, some pity for the guys at the back riding their last century penny farthings. At least organize an e-bike raffle for us ????

????

However

1 jeeptrack. 

3000 cyclists

I started in F batch last year. I managed to ride Ouwapad.

all 

the 

way...

But then, I ride technical trails for fun, and enjoy getting my bike to navigate obstacles. Also, yelling that I am "passing right, please walk left" helped. Everyone moved out of my way. My experience with that piece of hell is that people walk because they "train" maybe twice before the ride, and this most likely on tar. 

Skills go a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way, and for me at least, 3000 lemmings walking in front of me have as of yet not deterred me from riding up that mound.

all 

the 

way...

But then, I ride technical trails for fun, and enjoy getting my bike to navigate obstacles. Also, yelling that I am "passing right, please walk left" helped. Everyone moved out of my way. My experience with that piece of hell is that people walk because they "train" maybe twice before the ride, and this most likely on tar. 

Skills go a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way, and for me at least, 3000 lemmings walking in front of me have as of yet not deterred me from riding up that mound.

My secret is out!!!!

I like to do one or two rides in the week leading up to my events. This way the actual event is less of a shock to the system.

Been working well for the last three events I partook in...

all 

the 

way...

I started out with the same yell strategy and added loud hammering on my bicycle bell for added effect.  Was making good progress at a snails pace, but at least I stayed on my bike and moved faster than the hikers.  Until I got to the two ladies that were clearly not fit enough for the event, walking next to each other and having a blast yapping away, refusing to make way and occasionally glanced angrily over their shoulders every time someone tried to pass them.  I had to get off the bike and squeezed between them to pass while they made horrible remarks which I just ignored.  At that point I was unable to get back on the bike because none of the hikers at that point seemed willing to make sufficient space for anyone to get back on their bikes.

I don't believe my case was an isolated incident, as I saw more or less the same happening to numerous other riders.  It does, however, raise concerns about proper etiquette and common courtesy.

To be on the safe side, I'm considering using flat pedals and hiking boots for the Karoo to Coast in 2019...  :P

So if I start in B or C there's no way to aim for a 4:00-4:15 ride? 

I don't see why not.  The last time I did it I started in D group and was able to ride up Ou Wa Pad.

Until I got to the two ladies that were clearly not fit enough for the event, walking next to each other and having a blast yapping away, 

I remember seeing a rider with a diff in excess of 75cm in width (not girth) riding on the tar section dropping to the Lyonville turn-off. I say to my boet, "I don't care where we finish, as long as it's not behind this person..."

I caught up to said person on Kom se Pad, just before that last aid station before dropping down to Simola...

(in my defence, I made the mistake of lending my multi-tool to a oke on the climb out of Angie's G-Spot, only for him to resort to a complete dismantle and overhaul of his brake system up front...I literally lost 25 minutes waiting for this chop to finish, only for him to grunt some form of gratification and promptly mount up and leave me dumbfounded.)

This year, " No, I did not bring my tools, sorry..." will be my standard response when asked.