Evil bikes thread

PhilipV

Agree with this. I am 1.78m and bought a Medium because of the sizing chart (I am smack bang in the middle of the range for Medium), and it is quite a bit too small for me - now running a 60mm stem with 800mm bars for it to fit. I love the bike, but really wish I had spent some time on a demo model, definitely would go Large if I could have a do-over.

If I was 1.9m a Large wouldn't even be a consideration for me.

Hey GM, I am your height and ride a medium Insurgent and it is spot on.

I tried the large but I have so much more free movement on the medium whereas the Large had me very static.

I run 800mm bars on a 40mm stem.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey GM, I am your height and ride a medium Insurgent and it is spot on.

I tried the large but I have so much more free movement on the medium whereas the Large had me very static.

I run 800mm bars on a 40mm stem.

I run 55mm stem with 810mm bars. My ideal cockpit is 40mm stem with 780mm bars but that is just too cramped on this bike. A 70mm stem puts me on the right spot with this bike - but I can't bring myself to do it to this bike!

Strange enough I don't feel cramped when descending, only when climbing. The seatpost is extended so far that I am basically over the rear axle, and my upper body feels cramped - kills my back and I can't keep the front wheel down on steep climbs...

But anyway, when I start descending I forget about that!!

I run 55mm stem with 810mm bars. My ideal cockpit is 40mm stem with 780mm bars but that is just too cramped on this bike. A 70mm stem puts me on the right spot with this bike - but I can't bring myself to do it to this bike!

Strange enough I don't feel cramped when descending, only when climbing. The seatpost is extended so far that I am basically over the rear axle, and my upper body feels cramped - kills my back and I can't keep the front wheel down on steep climbs...

But anyway, when I start descending I forget about that!!

you feel cramped when climbing cos you're on the saddle, so the top tube measurement comes into it. You don't feel cramped when descending cos you're out the saddle, and the reach is a decent number. 

I'm 1.92m 6.3 and the Following MB XL fits great with a 50mm stem. Just dropped to XXxx-low mode so I need to do a steep climb to see how she feels.

I'm 1.92m 6.3 and the Following MB XL fits great with a 50mm stem. Just dropped to XXxx-low mode so I need to do a steep climb to see how she feels.

Climb up to Saaltjie is waiting for us and you know my setup;)

As Dan and Jadyn of FanatikBikes have stated :

"

A thoroughbred Evil

When all was done and dusted with my first day on the Offering, I came away from it feeling that it’s definitely an Evil, through-and-through. It possesses that super lively nature that I’ve come to love with all the Evil bikes, eager to pop around and play in the dirt. This has always been a huge selling point for me, and a major reason that I’ve always been a fan of these bikes. The Offering, being a solid 25mm longer in reach and wheelbase than any of their other bikes, is a bit of a departure, and as I mentioned earlier, requires that you ride a bit more aggressively with weight positioned slightly further forward over the front wheel. Once you unleash the bike on the fast/rough/steep, you forget about everything and the bike does the rest. The 140mm of travel is just enough to smooth out anything but the roughest slams. It’s not quite as monster trucky as the Wreckoning, but it is more nimble. Of all the Evil bikes, I would say the Offering will appeal to the widest range of riders. Many folks absolutely loved the Following (myself included), but couldn’t help but want just a tad more give. And just to hammer it home, that steeper seat angle does wonders for the climbing ability of this bike - I would go as far to say that this is the best climbing Evil to-date. It’s certainly what I’ve been waiting for, and I can’t wait to get more ride time on this dark-hearted beast of a bike."

More importantly as  "Leo Kokkonen" stated:

"There is nothing more satisfying than blasting around on a bike that fits you perfectly. Such a bike becomes an extension of your body, so it’s really worth putting in some effort to find the bike that fits you best."

and makes for an ultra confidence inspiring sled

also

"Everybody is different, some people have longer legs or arms than people of a similar height. So, therefore, factors can come into play when choosing the right frame size such as;

Handlebar width
Stem length
Seat positioning

Crank arm length (170mm recommended by EVIL in all sizes & all models)"

and 

"....so that the rider stands with less effort in a neutral position, arms and legs slightly bent, between the axles. This neutral position provides a very balanced stable ride with rider input transferred to the right places offering exceptional responsive control and grip."

this is how one aims to build your Trail & Enduro sled

also 

"Effective top tube (ETT) describes the horizontal distance between the head tube and the seat tube. If you are a rider with long legs and short back or arms and you feel you are between sizes then it is advised to take the smaller size so that you get the maximum benefit from the bike. If you are in between size, you can just move the saddle forward or backwards or change the handlebars width and/or height. Also, you can change the stem length. Recommended stem lengths are between 35mm to 50mm (on EVILs).

Reach is the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the head tube in a horizontal line. 

Just like the ETT above this refers to the length. The reach position concentrates more on where the rider stands over the bottom bracket. The position can be fine-tuned by, changing the stem to shorter or longer one and handlebar height can be modified up or down to give you best feeling position or by changing the handlebar width. (Pay attention folks)

Standover Height: is the distance from the ground to the top of the top tube. 'EVIL bikes'(my insert) have lots of standover height meaning that when you put your feet on the ground that there is still some room between you and the frame. Also, the standover height allows for increased control and manoeuvrability allowing you to tilt the frame between your legs when cornering and pedalling on a technical trail.   "

and keep this in mind too

"For taller riders, you might want to choose pedals that have more offset from the bike center line (Q factor) to compensate the hip width that is different for all riders."

Recommended cranks lengths on all EVILs - 170mm

Consider all these basic guidelines and forget about the old school way of setting up bikes.

​We are after all talking Trail / Enduro bikes now.

Oh, also keep in mind that all EVIL models run 51mm offset forks 

Only with on the Offering when running a 160mm fork is the 44 or 46mm offset fork recommended.

YES, you can and may run a 160mm up front on the Offering ;)

Edited by Bibi

And some info everyone would like to know regarding the new Offering:

Large Frame Without Shock- 2890 grams (6.38 lbs)

Medium Frame Without Shock- 2860 grams (6.31 lbs)

DPX2 Shock Weight- 405 grams ( .89 lbs)

We are shipping in DPX2 kitted frames for now unless someone specifically wants the
RS Super Deluxe or PUSH rear shock (custom tuned and built for the rider & special order).

We are shipping in DPX2 kitted frames for now unless someone specifically wants the
RS Super Deluxe or PUSH rear shock (custom tuned and built for the rider & special order).

Any idea on pricing yet?

Coil for the win! But those PUSH coils are kaaaaaak expensive...

Coils if you are hefty and can make them work otherwise a decent air shock is still better for a light weight.........

I've ridden a Wreckoning with a coil Push.  It's a thing of beauty.  The wheel feels like its always on the ground, always giving maximum grip, never bouncing or bucking, always smooth and buttery.  It's amazing :wub:

Coils if you are hefty and can make them work otherwise a decent air shock is still better for a light weight.........

I don't really feel much difference in weight on my reign with the cc coil the major difference is that coil is super sensitive to the smallest of bumps and on climb mode she climbs perfectly... I only weigh around 70kg fully kitted with backpack.... the new tech around these modern coils is awesome

From what I was told you looking at R50k for the frame.

UK: £2850 

EU: €3199

around R54K / R55K overseas 

I heard they were going to be about R50 / R51k odd here as well. Better value in SA! 

I rode today for the first time on my Following MB in X-Low mode. I was interested in seeing two things mainly, decending ability and climbing of course with the slacker seat angle.

Climbing was great, rode up a fairly steep rocky road and having a bit more weight on the back actually helped. I often need to pop the front wheel over rocks and having it light almost made it effortless. This I think, helps conserve upper body energy for the decent. I think reading the numbers of it is far from riding the bike and experiencing it.

Decending was really nice, I’d not ridden the trails before so I didn’t gas it. The bike still has all it’s pop and fun but with a more planted feel. Didn’t notice the peddles feeling much lower, I ride the recommended 170mm cranks and it was fine.

If you haven’t tried it I would definitely say give it a try, I’m not going back to low mode anytime soon.

Can’t post here without mentioning the Offering, man that My Boy Blue is beautiful. Totally worth that R48k on top of the R3k carbon frame. :P

Happy riding Evil’ers, I’ll try add more after I’ve ridden more.

Edited by Gambithunt