Evil bikes thread

PhilipV

My hubby says I turn into a Bitch on Wheels...IE "Pure Evil"

Best MTB I have ever owned. Love her for saving my ass and not breaking when I eject and throw her down the mountain!!

That is probably the nicest build I have seen to date - very little I would change! Edited by Grease_Monkey

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Helen72,Great drop indeed ????????.....think i’ll go sit in the corner now ????

@ Helen72,Great drop indeed .....think i’ll go sit in the corner now

You're going to regret the swap ....

• 3 weeks later...

So frigin chuffed with how she turned out! I had to wait a while for the finishing touches so I can colour match all the components...

- Cranks decals by Chrisna (pm me for her details if you want some made up - Traveler put me in touch with her)

- cSixx components provided the decals for the handlebar

- Nic from Ballistic Bike Armour designed and printed the decals for my rims

Still need to get a longer travel dropper from Lyne, and will be doing that e*13 12 speed upgrade soon, but aesthetically the bike is finished. Now I just need to ride it more - out with a cold (2nd time this year), and back injury at the moment - so she is just sitting there in the garage taunting me!!

post-82251-0-00362500-1530104593_thumb.jpg

post-82251-0-87576500-1530104964_thumb.jpgpost-82251-0-82454300-1530104980_thumb.jpg

Edited by I_my_own_bike

So frigin chuffed with how she turned out! I had to wait a while for the finishing touches so I can colour match all the components...

- Cranks decals by Chrisna (pm me for her details if you want some made up - Traveler put me in touch with her)

Still need to get a longer travel dropper from Lyne, and will be doing that e*13 12 speed upgrade soon, but aesthetically the bike is finished. Now I just need to ride it more - out with a cold (2nd time this year), and back injury at the moment - so she is just sitting there in the garage taunting me!!

Screenshot_20180627-145543_Gallery.jpg

20180627_150845.jpg 20180627_150828.jpg

I'll do you the honours and let you loan me the bike for this weekend ???? I'll be gentle

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20180627-145543_Gallery.jpg

attachicon.gif20180627_150845.jpgattachicon.gif20180627_150828.jpg

WICKED 

Many happy trails 

WICKED 

Many happy trails 

Bibi, do you / Evil SA have Demo bikes? I have a friend wanting to test a medium following. 

• 4 weeks later...

Some advice from all you fellow Following evil owners. This relates to a V1 and my general riding in WC @ Tokai, Contermans Cape Cobra, Jonkers etc.

1) Do you run you in the flip chips High or Low mode. How significant is the difference? How are the pedal strikes on low on rocky downs?

2) Angled Headset. What kind of combinations are you running with your Flip Chip settings? 

I'm planning on running my Following with a 140mm fork so that will slack out the H/A a bit. 

Some advice from all you fellow Following evil owners. This relates to a V1 and my general riding in WC @ Tokai, Contermans Cape Cobra, Jonkers etc.

1) Do you run you in the flip chips High or Low mode. How significant is the difference? How are the pedal strikes on low on rocky downs?

2) Angled Headset. What kind of combinations are you running with your Flip Chip settings? 

I'm planning on running my Following with a 140mm fork so that will slack out the H/A a bit. 

I've got an MB, but from my understanding the angles are the same as V1, just longer and some standards changes like Boost, Trunion etc, so the same should apply.

1) I run mine in High mode (Low by Evil's naming convention), with 130mm up front. I ran it in Low (X-Low by Evil's naming convention) for one ride and did not like it, too many pedal strikes and the HA became too slack for my liking when climbing (may just be in my mind as it was just one ride) - I can't say I felt a big difference when descending. Bumping travel up to 140mm will raise the BB by a few mm, so may sort out pedal strike issues when in the lower setting. 

2) I do not run angled headset, but if you are bumping travel up to 140mm, it is already going to slacken HA - so start there before spending any money.

My recommendation would be to first bump up travel to 140mm in high mode - that will raise your BB and slacken HA. If you then feel you still want to slacken HA more put it in low setting. Then, if you are getting pedal strikes consider an angle set in the high mode - but I have a feeling that won't be necessary because pedal strike shouldn't be an issue with 140mm travel up front even in the low setting.

Personally the lower setting wasn't for me - but I am a weak climber, so need all the help I can get with that, so I'm gonna be keeping my following in high setting with 130mm up front.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I've got an MB, but from my understanding the angles are the same as V1, just longer and some standards changes like Boost, Trunion etc, so the same should apply.

1) I run mine in High mode (Low by Evil's naming convention), with 130mm up front. I ran it in Low (X-Low by Evil's naming convention) for one ride and did not like it, too many pedal strikes and the HA became too slack for my liking when climbing (may just be in my mind as it was just one ride) - I can't say I felt a big difference when descending. Bumping travel up to 140mm will raise the BB by a few mm, so may sort out pedal strike issues when in the lower setting. 

2) I do not run angled headset, but if you are bumping travel up to 140mm, it is already going to slacken HA - so start there before spending any money.

My recommendation would be to first bump up travel to 140mm in high mode - that will raise your BB and slacken HA. If you then feel you still want to slacken HA more put it in low setting. Then, if you are getting pedal strikes consider an angle set in the high mode - but I have a feeling that won't be necessary because pedal strike shouldn't be an issue with 140mm travel up front even in the low setting.

Personally the lower setting wasn't for me - but I am a weak climber, so need all the help I can get with that, so I'm gonna be keeping my following in high setting with 130mm up front.

Appreciate the advice thanks. That was just what I was looking for. The frame comes with the adjustable head set so I'll see how it all goes in normal high (aka low) setting before doing too much. I'm not someone who really likes options to tinker with. I prefer to get on and ride and not worry about 'what if I'd slacked it out' and 'what if I'd added 2 more clicks of HSC / LSC / HSR / LSR'. 

I think I keep getting pulled into the longer-slacker rabbit hole when really what you need for most of the trails in CT is a more trail oriented bike. All the websites and reviews everyone is slacking it out, getting into super low H/A numbers but then testing them on trails we can only dream of. Sure you can get the benefits of that but I think for ultra capable, short travel rippers like this, the transition one, Kona Process, Hugene, Ripley I think you loose a lot of what made them so addictive by going too far. Why I'm now at the Following is I sold my Kona Process and got a 150 / 140mm more enduro frame as I thought longer n slacker was better. Yes it was more planted but is was less fun, less maneuverable and, not sure if it was the geo or the suspension, but it was no better on the tougher, rowdier tracks that you can throw it down here in the cape. 

• 2 weeks later...

deb3c3303ad0efd145e6b6c8de64e454.jpg

Finally joined the Evil family. She is so at home at my usual spots (Mont Marie + G Spot)

Very, very tidy! Colour coordination is on point. Just enough to not be tacky. 

Very, very tidy! Colour coordination is on point. Just enough to not be tacky.

Thanks! I also like the subtle color scheme. Can’t take credit for it though. Bought her from a fellow hubber who did a great job on the build.

1.) I have a V1 Following and initially ran it in the H setting with a 140mm fork upfront ( I do run my stem low , without any spacers below) though , switched it to the Low setting after a few months of riding and have not looked back, Bike still climbs well, regarding pedal strikes: the 140mm fork lifts the BB slightly and have not experienced pedal strikes through rocky terrain etc