Evil bikes thread

PhilipV

Hopefully Brenton posts his Evil here, maybe one when I'm big I can also ride an evil until then I'll have to just drool over this thread!

What you had a glimpse of this week Sparky ...

Nothing too fancy this time , but rad none the less.

Transfered all my parts over to the new Following MB that has been sitting on my desk for some time. Now to go ride it.

Also took the time to fit one of our OneUP EDC tools with matching Orange ano. top cap.

Yes, still a big ODI fan ;)

I'll start adding pics of many other builds if you guys would like that ?

post-36678-0-69896100-1527239545_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-82595200-1527239570_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-31006400-1527239666_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bibi

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those one up tools are simply ingenious as is the pump, 2 of the best buys for sure. I do like the black box stem over my gunmetal . Am amazed at the weight or lack thereof of the box stem & bar . Proper kit ????????

Oh and the obligatory rouges and DX pedals , sweet

Edited by Pikey

yea a momentary lapse of f’ing madness . Getting caught up in the race game . I have repeatedly punched myself in the face for this indiscretion

No man 

yea a momentary lapse of f’ing madness . Getting caught up in the race game . I have repeatedly punched myself in the face for this indiscretion

stop with that now Pikey 

Mnr. "Fietsman" before I put him on and got him signed up on the Knolly Knation Grassroots Racing Program.

His Enduro racing career changed permanently the moment he raced a real AM bike.

Good number of Enduro and DH podiums too boot locally and in Europe.

He raced this Insurgent at the 2016 Trans Provence. He was the 1st rider/bike pic in the PinkBike article https://www.pinkbike.com/news/trans-provence-riders-bikes-2016.html

and someone started a post feed on Bike Hub back then too 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/160984-zietsman-on-the-trans-provence-2016/

I made sure to get him signed up with Leatt that same year and he with that Insurgent featured on the 2017 Leatt International catalogue and online ads.

He then raced the Italian EWS leg a few weeks later.

Lotsa cool memorabilia ... ja.... was rad.

Was a pretty exciting time with a lot that happened.

A good memory for me personally that I'll keep for a long time.

post-36678-0-58412100-1527256300_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-25435800-1527256362_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-27686300-1527256390_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-76657400-1527256420_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-81030000-1527256452_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-89198900-1527256539_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-28734900-1527256565_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-64622300-1527256603_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-85396200-1527256627_thumb.jpg

This was my 1st Insurgent build early 2016 I think ...

Was a rad day out in the rain. Trails all to myself ;)

and a pic from G-spot sometime that same year.

Was rad

I know folks only post bike pics , but rider/bike pics are rad too and give some context.

post-36678-0-22131900-1527256905_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-07178400-1527257093_thumb.jpg

post-36678-0-35614700-1527257208_thumb.jpg

So I went for my first ride yesterday on the Following... it was a bit lame because I seriously struggled to get the suspension dialed in! At first it was too stiff, then I'd blow through the travel, etc etc. But that's the case with new bike set-up. After 2 hours I ended up with what I thought was good - but the trails were quite slippery so I took it easy not being used to the bike and so on...

Today was a different story - went to Jonkers, hero dirt! And the suspension feels pretty close to what it should be. Overall the bike feels very similar to my old Stumpy when riding along (reach on my L Stumpy is 4mm shorter than reach on M Evil) the fire road, but that's about where similarity ends.

Once I hit the hills I can immediately feel the Evil's rear wheel track beautifully, gripping up like crazy, and then when I stand and mash the pedals the bike just goes - hardly any pedal bob! The seated climbing position is ideal, I like that the stack height on the bike is so low...

When the trail points down the bike feels super playfull, it just wants to pop of every feature, and once again the rear end is supple and tracks very well, I've never felt such an active rear end on a bike.

I am so happy with this bike - it climbs like an XC bike, and descends like a 150/160mm Enduro bike. The combination of the linkage system and RS Super Deluxe is very well thought out.

Couple things I want to change:

- Bar currently at 760mm wide, feels too narrow, maybe want to go to 800mm

- Still need to understand the effects of lsc on the shock and play around with it more - currently sitting at fully open

- The Ribbon suddenly feels quite different at 130mm than it did at 140mm, and because the rear end is so supple I have to decrease the pressure in the fork and maybe make it a bit more progressive so it works together with the rear end

- On my previous frame 125mm drop was all I could have on the seatpost, but I can easily go for a 170mm drop on this frame - not a necessity, but would be cool...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

The lsc on the shock will make it a little firmer in the 1st part of the travel ,with no downside to getting through the entire travel. Have ran mine on 2 clicks since I got the bike,playing the other day am now between 4&5 clicks of lsc .

The best way I can describe it, is it doesn’t wallow in its travel at all for the first part . Not as plush but way more pedal efficient and when i climb in the rocks now it just grips beyond belief. It’s like a winch pulling you up the hill,quite phenomenal.

Edited by Pikey

The lsc on the shock will make it a little firmer in the 1st part of the travel ,with no downside to getting through the entire travel. Have ran mine on 2 clicks since I got the bike,playing the other day am now between 4&5 clicks of lsc .

The best way I can describe it, is it doesn’t wallow in its travel at all for the first part . Not as plush but way more pedal efficient and when i climb in the rocks now it just grips beyond belief. It’s like a winch pulling you up the hill,quite phenomenal.

Cool, thanks for that! Gonna play around with it a bit tomorrow - I gotta say it is already crazy pedal efficient when I compare it to the Stumpy, but since it doesn't affect the ability to get through the first travel, some damping there may be a very good thing!

Cool, thanks for that! Gonna play around with it a bit tomorrow - I gotta say it is already crazy pedal efficient when I compare it to the Stumpy, but since it doesn't affect the ability to get through the first travel, some damping there may be a very good thing!

and easy to adjust on the fly . Dial it to 5 and feel the difference and play with it from there . Will get through the same amount of travel it’s just firmer at 1st ????

Report back let us know what you think . Will be interested to see if you feel the same .

My hubby says I turn into a Bitch on Wheels...IE "Pure Evil"

Best MTB I have ever owned. Love her for saving my ass and not breaking when I eject and throw her down the mountain!!

That is  a pretty special setup. One question though. When you have your cheer squad in the background all colour coordinated with your evil colour scheme how did the yellow Gforms make it through quality control? 

Nice bike, great drop.