FARR Gravel Frame-Kits - Cromo Frame and Fork

Farrnus

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all.

This build has been rather frustrating for me...

So I have an Ultegra R8020 drivetrain that i want to pair with a 50-34 crank. Apparently this frame can only take a top pull FD! An MTB FD will work BUT that wont handle the 50t chainring size neither will it be compatible with the shifter!#@%#$$

Can somebody please advise how I can get this crank and front shifter to work on this frame? Pleeeez....

Hi all.

So I have an Ultegra R8020 drivetrain that i want to pair with a 50-34 crank. Apparently this frame can only take a top pull FD! An MTB FD will work BUT that wont handle the 50t chainring size neither will it be compatible with the shifter!#@%#$$

Can somebody please advise how I can get this crank and front shifter to work on this frame? Pleeeez....

Hi, I used a bottom pull fd, My cable just comes from the bottom with my rd cable. Will send a poc tomorrow

Hi all.

hi,

this bike was designed as a gravel / tourer / bike packing model. See attached the frame drawing showing spec parameters.

it is for FD top-pull and then a choice of either a 1x or a 2x setup. 1x is 50T max.

the 2x setup suggested is Shimano 46/36T which is in line with gravel trends at the time. This is a rather old model - designed in 2017 now.

Since 2017 Shimano has added a Gravel Specific range of parts - the GRX ,below from their Media Pack about FD options :

GRX Front derailleurs (FD): Complementing the cranksets, the Di2 or Mechanical  front derailleurs are built with 2.5mm more outbound clearance for wider tires (up to 42mm) to cope with riding on rough roads. This means GRX front derailleurs must be combined with Shimano GRX +2.5mm cranksets.

Both RX800-series mechanical and Di2 front derailleurs are built to accommodate Shimano’s widest 17T front chainring 48-31T gear ratio whilst the FD-RX400 10-speed derailleur accommodates the 16T chainrings found on the RX600 46-30T 10-speed cranksets. Shimano Di2 FD’s can be perfectly adjusted using Shimano’s simple and integrated controls whilst mechanical FD’s bring an extremely light front shifting feeling with an ergonomic power curve, toggle link construction for more cable routing options and an integrated cable tension bolt for precise and easy adjustments.

Probably you should be looking at GRX-810 or 815 FD for this build - will allow you to run the 48-31T option they recommend. 

post-121972-0-45771600-1584061777_thumb.png

post-121972-0-75163700-1584062085_thumb.jpg

Hi, I used a bottom pull fd, My cable just comes from the bottom with my rd cable. Will send a poc tomorrow

Really? Please if you can let me know the details of your drivetrain.

You can WhatsApp pics to me on 0844551212.

Much appreciate the input.

Sean

hi,

this bike was designed as a gravel / tourer / bike packing model. See attached the frame drawing showing spec parameters.

it is for FD top-pull and then a choice of either a 1x or a 2x setup. 1x is 50T max.

the 2x setup suggested is Shimano 46/36T which is in line with gravel trends at the time. This is a rather old model - designed in 2017 now.

Since 2017 Shimano has added a Gravel Specific range of parts - the GRX ,below from their Media Pack about FD options :

GRX Front derailleurs (FD): Complementing the cranksets, the Di2 or Mechanical front derailleurs are built with 2.5mm more outbound clearance for wider tires (up to 42mm) to cope with riding on rough roads. This means GRX front derailleurs must be combined with Shimano GRX +2.5mm cranksets.

Both RX800-series mechanical and Di2 front derailleurs are built to accommodate Shimano’s widest 17T front chainring 48-31T gear ratio whilst the FD-RX400 10-speed derailleur accommodates the 16T chainrings found on the RX600 46-30T 10-speed cranksets. Shimano Di2 FD’s can be perfectly adjusted using Shimano’s simple and integrated controls whilst mechanical FD’s bring an extremely light front shifting feeling with an ergonomic power curve, toggle link construction for more cable routing options and an integrated cable tension bolt for precise and easy adjustments.

Probably you should be looking at GRX-810 or 815 FD for this build - will allow you to run the 48-31T option they recommend.

Ok.... thanks for the reply. Will those GRX fd's be compatible with my Ultegra shifter? Also,(and i know I'm pushing it), do you think they might work with my 50-34 crank?

Ok.... thanks for the reply. Will those GRX fd's be compatible with my Ultegra shifter? Also,(and i know I'm pushing it), do you think they might work with my 50-34 crank?

that is a question for Shimano - I am not an expert on their compatibility and range in total - suggest you checking with your local bike shop - they can ask Coolheat ( the importers of Shimano in SA ) those kinda of questions if they don't have the info or know. 

there usually is some "cross-polination" allowed but again - best to check with them directly. 

FD is not so full of @#$ .. you can get away with alot.  If you have one at moment, try it.  

See: https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1297/bicycle-front-derailleur-compatibility/

Shimano road and MTB FDs have different cable pull ratio – that is the amount of FD movement for each mm of cable movement. This means that MTB FDs might not work well with indexed road shifters and vice versa.

With double chainrings, this issue can be fixed with adjusting limit screws and it could be made to work. With triple chainrings, it is harder to get it to work properly. However, FD cage is a lot wider than the chain and triple FDs have just 3 positions, so depending on particular shifter – FD combination, even that can sometimes be made to work OK.

that is a question for Shimano - I am not an expert on their compatibility and range in total - suggest you checking with your local bike shop - they can ask Coolheat ( the importers of Shimano in SA ) those kinda of questions if they don't have the info or know.

there usually is some "cross-polination" allowed but again - best to check with them directly.

Thanks... will do so.

FD is not so full of @#$ .. you can get away with alot. If you have one at moment, try it.

See: https://bike.bikegremlin.com/1297/bicycle-front-derailleur-compatibility/

Shimano road and MTB FDs have different cable pull ratio – that is the amount of FD movement for each mm of cable movement. This means that MTB FDs might not work well with indexed road shifters and vice versa.

With double chainrings, this issue can be fixed with adjusting limit screws and it could be made to work. With triple chainrings, it is harder to get it to work properly. However, FD cage is a lot wider than the chain and triple FDs have just 3 positions, so depending on particular shifter – FD combination, even that can sometimes be made to work OK.

Thanks for the reply.... my main dilema is that the frame takes a top-pull fd and the one in my groupo is bottom pull. Andreas17777 has gotten in touch and says he's managed to get a bottom-pull to work with his setup! So I'm getting details from him.... and keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by Jonesy

Thanks for the reply.... my main dilema is that the frame takes a top-pull fd and the one in my groupo is bottom pull. Andreas17777 has gotten in touch and says he's managed to get a bottom-pull to work with his setup! So I'm getting details from him.... and keeping my fingers crossed.

You can always try this.

fb47e7a478c9617524b5011990462d3c.jpg

Drill a small hole at the back of the seat tube , fit threaded plug ( with a pop rivet like tool) and thread a cable stop for a down pull Fd.

Drill a small hole at the back of the seat tube , fit threaded plug ( with a pop rivet like tool) and thread a cable stop for a down pull Fd.

Interesting.... will look at this option

Thank you very much!????