Shortening Carbon Handle Bars

Balooba

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrap handle with masking or sellotape and draw your cutting line on the tape, the tape will stop the carbon splintering.

Cut using a fine blade hacksaw. Use a cutting jig if you have one to get a straight and vertical cut

Do not use a pipe cutter with carbon, as you wind it tighter so that the rolling wheels cuts the carbon, it will also destroy the bar end.

https://youtu.be/J6ekJBN1HS8

Well there you have it, as simple as that!

No need to over complicate it.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

It is a handlebar. Not an explosive device. Or a cpu of a NASA computer. Just hack it off with a hacksaw wait a fine blade. Take it slow. Rotate it and don't over apply force with the bench vice. Smooth it with fine sandpaper. Don't inhale the dust.

The biggest DON"T is don't cut it too short.

Dust mask, thin angle grinder blade (super thin baby grinder disk) and safety glasses or if you want to have some fun go #fullenduro and wear some old mx goggles (more comfy and keeps the dust out your eyes...looks badass)

Anyways cut my nukeproofs and lightly ground the edges off no issues. Measure twice even three times but most have cutting guides so it's a quick job but if I were you do a couple rides first before you making any cuts and cut very small sections off at a time then go ride again.(you can always cut more off later)

You will very likely end up with the ends splintering a bit. Also sounds like quite a bit of unneccessary pt.

Not true. Done it many times. Seat posts; steerer tubes, integrated seat tubes. ...

Much cleaner cut than hack saw.

As many have said tape first - if you know what you’re doing or know someone handy, a dremel with works very well and is quick and neat - done it several times - same applies with a grinder and very thin blade but be careful here - don’t use a metal blade

Use a pipe clamp as a cutting guide, and start very slowly. Normal hacksaw works just fine.

Just cut it with a fine blade hacksaw.

Nothing complicated about it at all.

Sand the edges smooth afterwards as you would with aluminium.

Thank you all for the sound advise. I have decided to not cut the bars at present.

Believe I will move my grips to the 720mm position and ride like that for a while to get used to the wider bars. Then to 740 and then 760 and THEN will decide if cutting is needed.  :clap:

As someone said earlier, 760 is not all that wide. You have to adjust your set-up for the wider bars with a shorter stem, otherwise the wide bar will feel funny. (I am assuming that your current set-up with a 680 bar, probably had a 80mm-110mm stem). Best way to get your overall reach right to your previous preference is to first try a shorter stem. Chuck on 45mm or 60mm stem and test that first before cutting a carbon bar.

Thank you all for the sound advise. I have decided to not cut the bars at present.

Believe I will move my grips to the 720mm position and ride like that for a while to get used to the wider bars. Then to 740 and then 760 and THEN will decide if cutting is needed.  :clap:

If you do decide to cut it remember you got to cut 1/2 the required cut off both sides of the bar.

Sounds like logic but I have heard of many that have cut the 20mm they wanted off the bar off 1 side in one go and then went "ummmm ooops"  :oops:

I think that's also where all the "don't cut the bars too short" stories come from.

So measure 4 times and cut 2 times is more applicable to handlebars. :lol:

If you do decide to cut it remember you got to cut 1/2 the required cut off both sides of the bar.

Sounds like logic but I have heard of many that have cut the 20mm they wanted off the bar off 1 side in one go and then went "ummmm ooops"  :oops:

I think that's also where all the "don't cut the bars too short" stories come from.

So measure 4 times and cut 2 times is more applicable to handlebars. :lol:

How long is your current stem? If it's longer than 60 or 70mm consider dropping stem length down to 40 or 50 before you cut anything.

Also, when moving grips around to find your ideal width, be very aware of trailside obstacles. Your awareness of where your body ends is sharper than you think, and that extra 10mm sticking out either side will seek out trees.

How long is your current stem? If it's longer than 60 or 70mm consider dropping stem length down to 40 or 50 before you cut anything.

Also, when moving grips around to find your ideal width, be very aware of trailside obstacles. Your awareness of where your body ends is sharper than you think, and that extra 10mm sticking out either side will seek out trees.

That soooo true - I have completed rides where afterwards the bar end plugs where missing and I was sure I did not clip a tree or anything. And the bar ends fitted was a pretty tight fit so they didn't just fall out.

Not carbon but, got my 780mm bar and 50mm stem today, super stoked!!

Also went from 680mm, 90mm stem and I am not planning on cutting it. Can't wait to go and test it today.

Archived