HRM chest or wrist?

Henley 1

I have been using Garmin FR 910XT sports watches since the 910XT appeared. The watch itself seems to last about 3 to 4 years, but the chest band HRM only one year – no matter how well I look after them.

Should I change to wrist type? Stick with the Garmin brand?

Wot you sink?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've made peace with replacing my strap every 8-10 months.

Wrist based is not accurate

I've made peace with replacing my strap every 8-10 months.

Wrist based is not accurate

what strap ? 

my cycleops one lasted A little more than 2years with daily usage 

what strap ?

my cycleops one lasted A little more than 2years with daily usage

Garmin lasts 6 months

Polar 8+

5 times a week with a rinse after every use and a proper wash once a week to keep the stink away (I sweat like a pig)

Garmin lasts 6 months

Polar 8+

5 times a week with a rinse after every use and a proper wash once a week to keep the stink away (I sweat like a pig)

okay maybe that  :D  iwashed mine every two weeks 

but also showered with it everyday so maybe they were just good , can'r remember if it was ant plus ( 90% sure it was )

Chest strap works great for cycling. On the other hand, it is terrible for runnig, as it keeps sliding down.

I have been using Garmin FR 910XT sports watches since the 910XT appeared. The watch itself seems to last about 3 to 4 years, but the chest band HRM only one year – no matter how well I look after them.

Should I change to wrist type? Stick with the Garmin brand?

Wot you sink?

Something wrong with the product if that’s how long it lasts

Try a Polar V800 and polar straps

Had my V800 at least 4 years and it still looks new and works 100% everytime

My Garmin straps are now about 2 years old. I have two which I alternate, so each one gets about 3 to 5 hours use a week. Just wash with cold water after every use, and in the washing machine every 5th use.

Both still 100%. If you are replacing so often something is not right.

Ditto as per the comments, chest straps are far more accurate especially at higher heart beats. I have a Garmin vivoactive watch with wrist monitor and a Garmin edge 520 with chest strap. The chest strap generally averages a 10-20 beats per minute higher reading than the watch.

My Garmin chest strap is currently 30 months old and still working perfectly. I've replaced the battery twice in that time, most recently last month. I ride at least three times a week and average around 5 hours per week. The chest strap is the only part of my cycling kit I do not wash at all, I give it a good rise every 3 months, but never put it in the washing machine.

It seems clear from above that chest straps are superior to wrist HRMs. Good to know because I train on HR.

Wide variance in the time these Garmin straps seem to last though