Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

I hate it when a victory just falls into a teams lap over 8 days of hectic racing against an incredibly strong field...

Except for a few stages, no one has actually won anything at Cape Epic 2019 yet...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.. would that mean that you need to go into the start chute on day 1 slightly undertrained and then get fitter/stronger as the race progresses? If so, then I have only been getting the first part right (execpt for the slightly part) and the second part spectacularly wrong, any tips? :whistling:

You wouldn't go in undertrained and def not at the level they having to race it, you don't have time to race into form as the race is over. The prologue showed their form at the start but the tyre derailed that. 

But it has to do with how their programs were periodized / load / intensity and so forth. 

But this race only started today, people forget that and they have to be good from today onwards. Not on Sunday last week and decline which majority do. 

I hate it when a victory just falls into a teams lap over 8 days of hectic racing against an incredibly strong field...

Bud this race is FAR from over. Nothing is in anyones lap.

Bud this race is FAR from over. Nothing is in anyones lap.

I should of used the font  :blush: 

And 'Lead' would of been a better choice of words too - my bad! My point was you don't just fall into the lead at the Cape Epic, you have to be there.

Obviously still very early days, glad the apple cart got upset a little today  :thumbup:

Are we allowed to check the riders at points that are not on the official spectator point list, as on their website? I see Helderberg Farm is not on their list.

Hmm.. would that mean that you need to go into the start chute on day 1 slightly undertrained and then get fitter/stronger as the race progresses? If so, then I have only been getting the first part right (execpt for the slightly part) and the second part spectacularly wrong, any tips? :whistling:

We'd probably make a pretty good team...

I was almost pretty fit by the end of my 9 day joBerg2c training camp 

Are we allowed to check the riders at points that are not on the official spectator point list, as on their website? I see Helderberg Farm is not on their list.

if you have private access to the segments on the route I don't their scary letter to all riders will apply

if you have private access to the segments on the route I don't their scary letter to all riders will apply

Yup. We have our Helderberg Trails membership boards, so I can't see how they can chase us away.

940266252b50cf90816dc51fba23d38e.preview

Like something out of Mission Impossible

Pic by Cape Town magazine 

What a day of racing

Go Team Scalpels!

From the footage it looks like nino and lars couldnt get the tyre off the rim to tube it. Rookie error. It might be that they are to used to the XC circuit where the tech zone is never too far away

footage from the course

https://youtu.be/SqNAHVOFr1M?t=3639

it looks like they didn't have a tyre lever, so had to use fingers.

can see Lars sukkeling with it, then tries what looks like a stick to get the tyre off

even nino gives it the once over, see how he hands the tube over first and keeps it off the ground.

rookie error? if they didn't have the tools to replace a tube then it really has cost them a bit of extra. But they took the decision not to struggle further and was quite smart to ride as far as they could and wait for the backup, that might end up being the difference in the final result.

the backup team must have taken a while to get to the techpoint, Andri almost got overtaken by his old man (3mins) in the end.

Yup. We have our Helderberg Trails membership boards, so I can't see how they can chase us away.

Access only by foot, from what I understand from their FB page

Yep. Trails are closed.

Yes, but you don't have to ride the trails to get to where we want to be. And there is also no parking at decent walking distance away. 

Yes, but you don't have to ride the trails to get to where we want to be. And there is also no parking at decent walking distance away.

They come down Highway 61 and pop out next to the pump track. So you can basically park at the farm and watch them through the windscreen.

They come down Highway 61 and pop out next to the pump track. So you can basically park at the farm and watch them through the windscreen.

We want to go those berms on the other side of Heartbreak Hill, and maybe also the Whoops section. Those are sure to catch out a few tired mid packers. We will probably walk up to there with our bikes.

e025e721de25a54911f63f8dda69c9f0.jpg

Archived