Next Bike : Trail vs XC

RacePace

Just to add to my comments: My trail bike and my XC bike both climb well. The one is roughly 10% faster up hills, though (based on Strava segments). In some cases (like a ride-buddies hill challenge) it could be important

Edited by Christie

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only negative I have on the Trek Ex 9.8 are the pos SRAM brakes. They are not comparable to anything from Shimano. 

Awesome, thanks.

Also want to add the Trek Fuel EX8 and EX 9.7 to my list as they seem to be good value for money.

I'll definitely look into the stumpy, but they are pricey :eek:

Coming back to the Pyga Stage Max, I do seem to only find good reviews about it on the interwebz. I guess the only real test would be to grab a demo nearby.

What is your budget?

If you think the Stumpy ST is expensive @ R85k, Wait till you see a Santa Cruz build...

Pyga isn't cheap and nor would the equivalent Evil, Trek or Ibis.

Hi Guys

I'm seeking your opinions here since I'm now g@tvol of watching countless reviews and reading forums on bikes and I am too scared of buying a bike that doesn't suit my riding perfectly.

I bought myself a 2018 Scott Spark 950 at the beginning of the year and I ride it HARD! I love it, but I've outgrown it. The reason I went for a XC bike is because I ride (and enjoy) alot of XC events and stage races in the Western Cape, but I really enjoy some gnarly trails. I spend most of my time riding the Durbanville & Stellenbosch trails (Majik, Bloemendal, Contermans, G-spot, Jonkershoek) and the Spark handles it well, but it takes quite a beating and doesn't feel too stable in the gnarly stuff. 

I'm now starting to look at longer travel bikes (120mm-140mm) that are built for a bit of both. I've been looking at the Pyga Stage Max, Evil The Following, Santa Cruz Hightower and the Scott Genius 930 (even though its more of a trail bike).

My biggest focus point is getting a bike that you can spend all day in the saddle in (and a efficient climber) but also an awesome trail shredder. In simpler terms, I'm looking for a bike that will tackle a 70km, 1800m climb, race day and also be very fun and capable on the trails. Also taking best value for money into account.

My mate bought himself a Scott Genius 750 in April. I've taken it for a few short rides and it shreds coming down but the climbing does become sluggish after a while, not too bad but you can definitely feel it and I can only imagine that it will take a toll on you in a long race.

I'm open to any opinions and recommendations. :)

Hi

I'm a Scott guy and if you not loving the Genius 29er it sounds like you need a Santa Cruise Tallboy or Pyga Stages Max with a 34x120mm fork (or longer if you prefer)

Happy shopping

Actually the answer is two bikes. Keep the RC and get a Genius or some other 150mm travel bike. Bikes like an Ibis Mojo 4 are phenomenal climbers and superb descenders. Racing and TBMBC trails use the RC, Jonkers and Tokai take the big bike. 

I'm also biased, but the Intense Primer does all of what you asked. Otherwise just get the new 120mm Spez Stumpy (the new Camber), it's an awesome package.

Big fan if Intense - probably my first pick after the Following - but with their new distribution model the are very expensive to get into SA and it comes with a long wait!

the new Canyon Lux with 110mm front fork and dropper?

That's a full on XC race bike... 69° head angle. I'm sure it's good at what it's made for - but it's a far cry from anything the OP is looking for - the geo is very steep even compared to most modern XC race bikes.

Oh... by the way - there is rumblings of a new Scott trail bike in the makings. Gonna be released around September - from what I hage heard it may be worth the wait.

I had a choice between a Vipa Race One or a Vipa Trail One. I still see myself as a racer and enjoy marathon racing, klapping the uphills etc. I already had a light Cube AMS100 dual sus at home, so chose the Trail One, 120mm travel front and rear. Not a day's regret! I ride it more, even in races with lots of climbs, than I do the lighter Cube.

My biggest focus point is getting a bike that you can spend all day in the saddle in (and a efficient climber) but also an awesome trail shredder. In simpler terms, I'm looking for a bike that will tackle a 70km, 1800m climb, race day and also be very fun and capable on the trails.

I'm open to any opinions and recommendations. :)

seriously have a look at the Pyga Stage Max - should be easily accessible

From their website:

The Stage MAX is intended for the rider looking for an allround mid-travel 29” Trailbike, with the intention of taking part in single or multi-day racing events, without limiting the more playful side of mountain biking.[/size]

Edited by splat