Difference in cassettes

hagar

Just a quick question .

What is the difference besides the price in the various cassettes made by Shimano:

ultegra 10 spd,105 10 spd and tiagra 10 spd.

is it the weight diffrence, durability, shifting ability ect .

would the ultegra be made from more durable material than the Tiagra ? hence the price diffrence ?

Thanks    

Just a quick question .

What is the difference besides the price in the various cassettes made by Shimano:

would the ultegra be made from more durable material than the Tiagra ? hence the price diffrence ?

Thanks    

Short answer yes. 

Cheap, long lasting, light. Choose 2. 

Just a quick question .

Thanks  

Weight weight and weight and usually its steel vs titanium.

Usually the more expensive they are the shorter their lifespan due to lighter material.

105 is generally a really nice cassette but most run Ultegra to maximize weight advantage without too much moola

Weight weight and weight and usually its steel vs titanium.

Usually the more expensive they are the shorter their lifespan due to lighter material.

105 is generally a really nice cassette but most run Ultegra to maximize weight advantage without too much moola

thanks i am looking to put it on my tacx neo so what i really would like is the durability weight will not come into play 

What a blast from the past.  Howzit Hagar!!

To add to his question.  Do you guys see huge differences in the milage of casettes on road bikes and MTB?

On my one roadbike I have a casette with about 15 000km on (changed the chain about three times) and no problem.  Replaced the chain on my MTB after about 5000 km and seems the casette on the MTB is toast.

My opinion the 105 and Ultegra are the same.  In the catalogue they state the weight for a 27/12 105 as being heavier than the 25/11 Ultegra, but if you take two 25/11's they are the same.  the chains are exactly the same weight.  The Tiagra 10 sp cassette is significantly heavier.  That said I ride a Tiagra as the ratios are better suited to me.  As for the lifespan they all last long enough!

To add to his question.  Do you guys see huge differences in the milage of casettes on road bikes and MTB?

On my one roadbike I have a casette with about 15 000km on (changed the chain about three times) and no problem.  Replaced the chain on my MTB after about 5000 km and seems the casette on the MTB is toast.

This sounds about right.

MTB is a much harsher environment, dust + mud+ otherstuff = more wear on components. Whereas road components are usually exposed to less of the stuff.

Road efforts are usually also less erratic and smoothed out, whereas MTB has various short sharp forces applied, which also wears things faster.

Difference probably owing to the dirt and grime that comes with MTB. perhaps check your MTB chain more often for wear and tear?

5000km on 1 chain?! 

MTB chain should be changed at 0.5 wear on 1x systems. 

But 5000km on a cassette seems decent. 

thanks for the info always helps to ask on the hub always someone to give advice  :clap:  :clap:

hey bateleur yes always come here for advice or if i need some cycling stuff  :thumbup:

5000km on 1 chain?! 

MTB chain should be changed at 0.5 wear on 1x systems. 

But 5000km on a cassette seems decent. 

Yip on one chain.  Wear was at about 0.75 when I changed a two weeks ago.  Now I have a jumping/slipping new chain.  Clear sign the cassette has had it.  (Yes indexing is 100%).

Oh .....xxxx I thought you were asking about BASF vs Pioneer

I used to prefer BASF - the black and silver Chrome ones.  And TDK wasn't too bad either :-)

Will the cassette not last longer if you replace the chain more often? 

Yes.  I normally change my roadbike casette on 0,75 and as I say I get 15000+ out of my roadbike casette (Shimano 105).  Currently have a Ultegra on my new bike with about 2500 km on it.

So I applied the same logic to the MTB but seems I should have changed the MTB more often.  So we learn I suppose.

Archived