Conned out of my bike

branded

I actually laughed when I read this, because it took 2 pages of jokes and "Ya no sorry dude but you'll never see that bike again" before somebody actually said something helpful. 

Now you making me feel bad.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you making me feel bad.

Lol, not the intention obviously. You didn't see me offering any help so I'm just as "bad". 

I just found it funny how we all just defaulted to our "Yep yep yep, seen this one before..." response. It took a while before somebody said "OK, maybe we can use this internet community thingy to do some good".

I actually laughed when I read this, because it took 2 pages of jokes and "Ya no sorry dude but you'll never see that bike again" before somebody actually said something helpful. 

yes, but it gores both ways.

if the OP actually put more details on the scam, modus operandi and the bike itself we could all be a bit more helpful.

all we do know is that there is someone who is probably not a cyclist currently in possession of a bike in the stellenbosch area that they want to convert to cash ASAP.

So I posted my bike for sale on Gumtree and got a buyer. Tina Manata, apparently at Stellies call and does an EFT. I get the Sms to say that the deposit has been made, and having faith in humanity decide what the heck I'll trust him. That's Monday as of yet no funds into my account. He promised today that he'll bri g the bike back. If anybody here know this guy please send me his whereabouts.

New on hub . .. 

Posted 01h00 . . . .

No participation in the thread . . . .

This might be a scam!! :devil:

yes, but it gores both ways.

if the OP actually put more details on the scam, modus operandi and the bike itself we could all be a bit more helpful.

all we do know is that there is someone who is probably not a cyclist currently in possession of a bike in the stellenbosch area that they want to convert to cash ASAP.

Didn't know Steinhoff was THIS desperate....

Edited by Neverfit

Evolutionary biologists have noted that in a population where trust is the norm, cheating has adaptive advantage. However when cheating is the norm this adaptive advantage is ameliorated and trusting (reciprocal and beneficial behaviour) becomes more advantageous.

Using game theory and computer power they can simulate these dynamics in a population over thousands of years and draw conclusions about altruistic behaviour, dishonesty and cheating.

The results support the view that one should trust others but wait until the money reflects in your account.

i dont even trust sales on the hub...i drove 6hrs  to jhb to make sure the bike was what the person said it was...paid the man cash...win win.

drove 20 minutes to a sale in Durban...to find the "new" levers...where  badly scratches from an accident "newish" second hand levers.

the moral of the story...dont trust anyone...cash is king.

I recently bought a classic bike frame on the BikeHub and, from another seller, a wheelset. Both times I went to look, found the goods exactly as said, both times the sellers said to just take it and do an eft. The trust put in me was much appreciated because it saved me an extra trip and time and for that I took extra care to get the efts done ASAP. Great doing business with longstanding Hub characters.