Which carbon hardtail

Red Bird

Yes there's a lot of hi end carbon bikes but at those prices you would struggle to get a FSI or Highball to come close in spec or weight.

Going on who wins races doesn't mean it will work for you.

That Kross does look nice the geometry looks better to me than Merida.

But see if you can't get test bike's of the 2 only way to know which will suit you best.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my son a new 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.8 for under R50k last week. Full carbon except the stem. I weighed it at 9.2kg without extras.

The 2019 bikes are out. Look for specials on the 2018s.

Out of interest, where did you find that shot of Gunn Rita?

Google image search was one of the top ones, then just inserted link.

One of yours?

For a high end hardtail, also check the classifieds. Some riders drop a lot of cash on a high spec, only to find that they should have bought a dual-sus.

That said, I built my hardtail up with new components, which I accumulated over 2 years from specials and sales. Total spend was R35k

Rocky Mountain Vertex 999, SID, XTR drivetrain, Hope Stealth Race brakes, Hollowgram SI2 crank, Wide Lightning wheels. 8.8kg with pedals and slime.

about 2kgs lighter than my vertex 990. What tyres you running

look at the tires in those bikes. they are on there cause they are the lightest, gives the bike an unrealistic weight, good on a paved surface only.

fit proper race tires, like Mezcals, and you will be just over 10kg

look at the tires in those bikes. they are on there cause they are the lightest, gives the bike an unrealistic weight, good on a paved surface only.

fit proper race tires, like Mezcals, and you will be just over 10kg

Not true.

Vittoria Mezcal weigh 690g in the 2.25 version.

Tyres on the Merida are Ikon's which weigh 640g in the 2.2 version. (100g lighter than Mezcal's) Therefore bike will weigh just over the 9KG mark probably.

Tyres on the Kross are Scylla which weigh 670g in the 2.25 version. (40g lighter than Mezcal's) Therefore bike will weigh 9.72kg. 

Also, what's wrong with Ikons? 

They are amazing race tires....

They OK. They have a lot more rolling resistance than rocket Ron, mezcals, safari,etc. They are great front tyres

Also, what's wrong with Ikons?

They are amazing race tires....

I love an Ikon/Ardent Race combo on an XC bike - suits the slightly more technical trails nicely. Ikon front and rear (2.1") if it's gonna be a really long ride. But I'm no racing snake and need a bit of extra grip to make up for lack of skills.

They OK. They have a lot more rolling resistance than rocket Ron, mezcals, safari,etc. They are great front tyres

An Ikon as a front tyre?  Hmmm....  I'll pass on that thanks. 

I use an Ikon on the rear and couldn't be happier with it, but need a chunkier tyre on the front.  The Ikon was noticeably grippier than the Saguaro's I had been running for years.

Yeah, but rocket ron's and Mezcals are also about as reliable as an old french car......

I would choose Ikons over pretty much anything. Except these Michelin wild rac'r tires I have on my AR/xc/marathon bike currently... They roll like nothing I have ever ridden but have big ass side knobs when I need to lean them into things. Light too.... 

If I can't get them again I will just buy Ikons again...

Yeah, but rocket ron's and Mezcals are also about as reliable as an old french car......

I would choose Ikons over pretty much anything. Except these Michelin wild rac'r tires I have on my AR/xc/marathon bike currently... They roll like nothing I have ever ridden but have big ass side knobs when I need to lean them into things. Light too....

If I can't get them again I will just buy Ikons again...

Another very nice tyre is the Onza Svelt, rolls a bit faster than an Ikon in my experience, but very lekker side knobs so you can lean them over in corners and they bite! Also seem to get very good mileage and 60tpi sidewall strength is comparable to EXO.

about 2kgs lighter than my vertex 990. What tyres you running

Rocket Rons. (

I replaced the rear at 4500km, front now over 5000km and counting. Mostly hard off-road use, Jonkers, Stellies/Eden/Mont Marie & Helderberg trails. Also did a couple of stage races along the way, tyres have been bullet proof. Note - I understand this is not the norm, I may just be lucky)

post-154-0-91209700-1534405798_thumb.jpg

Merida Big Nine Team 2017

Full XTR

Just under 9kg, claimed without pedals

Special price: R42000 (full price R60000)

Kross Level 14.0 2019

Full Sram X01 Eagle

9,68kg

R43000

I have an alluminium dual-suspension which I love and will keep, but want a race bike. Have been getting a few podiums in age category.

post-36275-0-28453900-1534403876_thumb.png

post-36275-0-28485500-1534405314.gif

Archived