Spinning bike or home exercise bike

Clazst

I'm struggling with which one is more suitable for home exercise and training. Why is it so hard to pick one? I want to know what is your experience and why you prefer a spinning bike or another exercise bike. Which is better and long-term use. I want to exercise during the week after work and then on the weekend I can go outdoors and ride with my MTB. So I don't want to waste my money on if it not a worth. Looking forward to your feedback. 

post-56616-0-51676100-1534397468_thumb.jpg

post-56616-0-30650000-1534397475_thumb.jpg

By far the best for me was mounting my actual bike on a resistive roller and training on that. Get Zwift($10 or so a month), you won't look back.

Cheapest start in my opinion:

2nd hand indoor trainer - R500

Trainer tyre for your mtb - R300

Rear wheel speed sensor - R550

Ant+ dongle - R550

Optional, cheap 2nd rim to mount trainer tyre on to make the swap easier, possibly R600 if you shop around.

I got myself a spinning bike, it does not wear my drive train like my chain and cassette, the Sinning bike was R1000 here on the hub, my 2c, stay away from the electric thing with the big seat, get something that simulates your actual riding.

I started with a used Raleigh spinning bike, found it uncomfortable and nothing like riding any type of bike. Moved to a Cycleops Fluid trainer with my MTB - no power, just resistance training. Found that significantly better and cost effective. Down side is wear on your bike rear tyre, so I set up a used rear wheel with a trainer tyre, This also turned out to be a bit of a hack as I had to keep changing wheels when I wanted to ride my bike outside. Next was a road bike on the Fluid, much better again, but still no power and to be honest, rather boring. A final move, hopefully, to the Cycleops Hammer with Zwift. It has been a revelation, you can use your bike so set up is spot on, you have power, HR, cadence and you have the other Zwift riders out there to battle with. So my advice, go as big as your budget allows. 

my 2c, for that cash get a basic wahoo kickr snap...

What he said - no contest.  Train on a real bike.  Also, the range of software and apps available on ERG trainers is brilliant, and is far better than the monotony of those housewife gym machines

What he said - no contest.  Train on a real bike.  Also, the range of software and apps available on ERG trainers is brilliant, and is far better than the monotony of those housewife gym machines

Quick question on the ERG trainers practically:

My biggest frustration with my "dumb" IDT is the repeated resistance adjustment and gear shifting when doing repeated short and hard intervals as per my training programme, ie 400W on for 30s and rest at 160W for 30s.

Does the Kickr Snap and similar trainers handle those adjustments automatically and you just focus on doing the cadence required?

So "No shifting" or "Still some shifting of gears"? 

Quick question on the ERG trainers practically:

My biggest frustration with my "dumb" IDT is the repeated resistance adjustment and gear shifting when doing repeated short and hard intervals as per my training programme, ie 400W on for 30s and rest at 160W for 30s.

Does the Kickr Snap and similar trainers handle those adjustments automatically and you just focus on doing the cadence required?

So "No shifting" or "Still some shifting of gears"? 

no shifting in ERG mode

To break the monotony I try to watch youtubes of either actual bike racing or "training videos" of great cycling routes. One channel that I really like is Paul Blaes. It's got POV's of loads of amazing routes.