Bike Sizes on The Hub  

216 members have voted

1. 1. What size bike do you ride?

• XS (Extra Small)
    • S (Small)
    • M (Medium)
    • L (Large)
    • XL (Extra Large)

In your case you'll most likely have to stump for a stem in the 100mm range to make it fit. Not ideal, but it's what you'll have to do if you're looking at a "cheap" hardtail, as they're mostly in that measurment range at the moment, unfortunately. 

If you were looking at a full susser, and had a budget of 30-40k we'd be able to find you a bike that fitted properly. 

For example - the Scott Spark XL has a 655mm top tube and 470mm reach. With a 70/80mm stem you would be okay on that. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks cptmayhem. Okay, so worth investigating the merida then on account of the budget. And perhaps then changing the seatpost from upright to the bendy one, and then play with stem length. Basically best options. I can't think of anything else unless something magical miraculously appeared in front of me. Ha ha.

Thanks cptmayhem. Okay, so worth investigating the merida then on account of the budget. And perhaps then changing the seatpost from upright to the bendy one, and then play with stem length. Basically best options. I can't think of anything else unless something magical miraculously appeared in front of me. Ha ha.

Pretty much

52 cm S-M 'Dale

M Scalpel

M. I'm 172 and on a 54 TCR.But I run an 80mm stem.

And a large yt jeffsy

Edited by Duane_Bosch

176cm Merida Tfs 500 ht 29er M 17" and I had a full suspension Merida ninety nine 600 29er L 19".

Both was size fit for me, so I guess it's all geometry specific.

193cm, XL Giant Anthem, XL Giant TCR, 60cm Raleigh Blade on the IDT, XL On-One Inbred, had an XL/21 Momsen 329 on the IDT before the Raleigh.

I generally look for anything with an effective top tube length of 59-60cm in Road Bike. For Reference, Saddle height on the Road Bike is 852mm and 670mm tip of saddle (Spez Power) to centre of bars.

• 6 months later...

FWIW.

I'm 172 on a good day.

- DH bike is a 2012 large Turner DHR. Not much to say here. I don't sit much when I'm riding this so the saddle is to help with steering.

- AM bike is a 2016 Large YT jeffsy. Which theoretically is too big but I've swapped out the 150mm dropper for a 125mm unit and the TT is the same as my old Giant Reign

- Roadie is a 2015 54cm Giant TCR. If I'm honest it's too big for me but I've fitted an 80mm stem to shorten the reach

it's not that simple imo...

i'm 197cm and leggy....so yes when i ride long distances it needs to be on XL and up just for the extra seat tube height or ill have a 270mm+ post showing and 100mm seat to bar drop on a 40mm riser and 40mm spacers. (MTB btw). 

Then enters all this new "low long slack" BS so now an XL bike is close to TOO long for me to be comfortable on longer rides, they stretch me out a bit too much to get comfy....So I tend to prefer the current top tube lenghts of size L bikes....but obviously thats not ideal when it comes to efficient peddling position.

bike companies dont really cater for tall riders...they are too worried about looks and marketing. They design bikes in size medium...and the rest are all compromises...mostly. Larger bikes usually  dont have enough stack height either. basically mediums with higher seat tubes and longer top tubes. Road bikes are a bit better here.

i love being tall in everything other than cycling. i'll admit I've never been 100% comfortable on a bike, it's always a compromise somewhere. ALWAYS.

So if you are on a medium with medium legs and medium arms, congrats on being 'avarage' and enjoy your perfectly sized 'childs' bike :lol:.

Maybe someday i can afford a custom bike from Mr Mercer that doesnt look or ride like a gate.

FML