One Tonner 2018

Tjommie

Yeah, one tonner is what you make of it.

For me it is one long ass roadie fun ride, and as a non-roadie I absolutely love it. Sitting in a bunch until it (your comfort zone) tears apart in front of you on Botmanskloof - what a feeling.

Then trying to nurse yourself, while building up a new bunch, back to Malmesbury - pure strategy. As is the last 60km home. It is what nearly broke me back in 2013. The reason I have to come back every year.

I love the endurance and the character building a ride like this has. That is why, if I have to choose only one roadie ride a year - Argus included - sorry, but for me One Tonner is it.

I love this ride. The people that make it up is 99% thereof. (even if they are team riders - yuck!) 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, one tonner is what you make of it.

For me it is one long ass roadie fun ride, and as a non-roadie I absolutely love it. Sitting in a bunch until it (your comfort zone) tears apart in front of you on Botmanskloof - what a feeling.

Then trying to nurse yourself, while building up a new bunch, back to Malmesbury - pure strategy. As is the last 60km home. It is what nearly broke me back in 2013. The reason I have to come back every year.

I love the endurance and the character building a ride like this has. That is why, if I have to choose only one roadie ride a year - Argus included - sorry, but for me One Tonner is it.

I love this ride. The people that make it up is 99% thereof. (even if they are team riders - yuck!)

And they don’t force you to ride in a team ????????????

And they don’t force you to ride in a team

1,000,000 times YES !!!!  :thumbup:

Edit : Had a few requests for the original shot of going up Botmas, so here you go, don't expect much as it's a sub R2k phone (Redmi 6A) 

IMG-20181028-091842.jpg

Edited by Rouxenator

And they don’t force you to ride in a team ????????????

I really think PPA have missed out on something here.

This had the potential to be a true one day classic of local road riding.

Instead, they diluted the long distance racing by adding a team category, making some short routes (which get the prize money) and generally not caring about the event.

The guy that wins OneTonner is a hard man of SA cycling - we should be punting that.

(And well done to Shameeg for winning it again)

Instead, they diluted the long distance racing by adding a team category, making some short routes (which get the prize money) and generally not caring about the event.

The guy that wins OneTonner is a hard man of SA cycling - we should be punting that.

This!

Well said and I totally agree, you are spot on.

Why mess up one of the best events on the calendar.

so did the winner of 170km get a handshake and dude in pink won prize money in the 109km?

The prize thing might be a little silly, I think only the 170km should have prizes and a specific "race" entry for people wanting to contend. Give us folks that just want to do it as a fun ride a "ride" entry that costs less.

But I see no problem in adding shorter routes as this pulls more people to the event and in the end it has to be profitable. 

Edited by Rouxenator

I thought the same thing too. Just seems all over the show and it takes away from what the One Tonner actually is, the 170km.

so did the winner of 170km get a handshake and dude in pink won prize money in the 109km?

Exactly... I assume the pink dudes pro team all share the money... I don't get it.

Agree, think they should scrap any prizes for the shorter route, maybe a light or some tubes. 

The team entries is taking off for the event, think they are going after the DC market and Maluti 90 vibe which works well. 

Next year for the Savage teams along with kit, accom, Dc entry, will add a one tonner entry so everyone at least rides once with each other. So its not a complete dog show.

"Prize money totalling amount in excess of R25 000 will be on offer to the winners (teams in 170 km and individuals in the 109 km) of the event."

From the RaceTec Website (based on finishers)

2013 (Only 1 Distance)              1116

2014 (Only 1 Distance)              1300

2015 (Only 1 Distance)              1243

2016 (3 Distances/No Teams)    1019  +  671  +  145 = 1835 cyclist

2017 (3 Distances +  Teams)      1096  +  662  +  145 = 1758 cyclist (30 teams assuming 12)

2017 (3 Distances +  Teams)      827  +  460  +  148 = 1435 cyclist (16 teams assuming 12)

We know that 2018 have probably many non starters and non finishers.  But extending to 3 events got more people to the event.  More entrants mean better absorption of race overhead per rider. I think it's positive.  I also liked the large prizes that was part of the lucky draw, as most of the riders have absolutely no chance of winning any merit prizes.

Btw...I was the other guy in the mutual safes kit :clap:

You two did quite a bit of pacing - thanks. ;)

Your mate unfortunately gave up the element of surprise attack with those gears slippy with every acceleration. LOL

The team entries is taking off for the event, think they are going after the DC market and Maluti 90 vibe which works well. 

As much as I detest team cycling I fully agree with you, it brings more people to the event (as does the shorter routes) and in the end if we want rides to survive they require a sufficient amount of entrants. 

My only hope is that the venue remains the same next year.