Tour de France 2019

gummibear

Sadly TDD just couldn't get EBH in a good enough position to contest for a top 10 today. And I always thought that today was going to be a day for either of Ewan or Groenewegen. Viviani always needs to be on his leadout's wheel and it seems he wasn't quite on but still got a good second.

However today's top three is probably the best sprinters in the world at the moment. Champs will be interesting if all three make it there!

Oh and Sagan has the Mailot Vert in his back pocket. He just needs to stay upright until Paris.

Great Sprint by Ewan, what a way to ride your first TDF.

Champs is definitely going to be a proper battle. Plenty sprinters still in it. Leaning slightly towards Ewan, he is producing the goods currently.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And make cut off times [emoji15]

He has done it before and should, theoretically of course, be capable of doing the same again.

He has done it before and should, theoretically of course, be capable of doing the same again.

For sure and even last year after his fall he managed it

For sure and even last year after his fall he managed it

I actually wonder what would happen if Sagan decided to try and go for the Polka dot jersey instead of the Mailot Vert? He certainly is good enough to get into enough of the right breaks to potentially challenge for it in a proper fashion. His main weakness, as I see it, is the high mountain stages but on the rest he is relatively decent. I just get a feeling that with the correct adjustments to his training he could potentially be a real threat in that competition.

Just a really random thought that popped into mind today.

I actually wonder what would happen if Sagan decided to try and go for the Polka dot jersey instead of the Mailot Vert? He certainly is good enough to get into enough of the right breaks to potentially challenge for it in a proper fashion. His main weakness, as I see it, is the high mountain stages but on the rest he is relatively decent. I just get a feeling that with the correct adjustments to his training he could potentially be a real threat in that competition.

Just a really random thought that popped into mind today.

Not interested

Anyway the green Jersey carries far more weight

Not interested

Like I said it was a really random thought that popped into mind. But ja, don't really see him as being interested in chasing the Polka dot jersey.

Not interested

Tell that to Laurent Jalabert- remember that French sprinter that won both the green and polka in his day - amazing accomplishment !!

Oh look, it is raining ...... outside

Oh look it is cold ........ outside

Oh look ... outside.

I am going to have to abandon what ever it is that should be done outside and do strategic planning next to the fire place ... inside...watching TdF and hope the Team Director does not come home early.

Like I said it was a really random thought that popped into mind. But ja, don't really see him as being interested in chasing the Polka dot jersey.

Might not be so random. When MvdP appears on the TdF scene it might be all he can hope to get  :whistling:

Might not be so random. When MvdP appears on the TdF scene it might be all he can hope to get :whistling:

Or anyone for that matter

So how many points does Sagan still need to seal the Green jersey?

no idea

Still a lot of intermediate sprint points available and today is classified as flat (I think) and of course Paris is flat,  so plenty points still available.

Still has work to do.

So how many points does Sagan still need to seal the Green jersey?

Intermediate sprint = 20points

Mountain finish = 20 points

Hilly Stage finish = 30points

Flat stage Finish=50 points

So Max points still on offer per stage

17:20+30=50

18:20+20=40

19:20+20=40

20:20+20=40

21:20+50=70

So mathematically, the maximum someone can still get is an additional 240. 

BUT we know none of the sprinters will be at the pointy end of the race at the finish of the mountain stages. So just taking the values in BOLD, which is where the Sprinters can realistically contest, makes it a maximum of 180 points still on offer.

Sagan leads Viviani by 85 points. Which is a comfortable lead, but no way that he can sit up and take it easy. He will need to grab as many points as he can on all of the remaining days, even he finishes 2nd to Viviani in all of them, to ensure he doesn't give up his lead.

Still  a long way to Paris for Hulk.

Archived