Can I attach my bike directly to roof rack?

Scooterza

Hi all, 

I am planning a few days away with the family and this creates a problem - I gotta take 4 bikes and I have a 2 bike carrier!  So, I've been researching getting a rooftop carrier to take the 2 additional bikes.  But they aren't that cheap.  I was wondering, why not attach 2 bikes directly onto the roof racks?

If you tied the wheels directly onto the bar of the roof rack with straps and then put some further "guy" straps to the handlebar and seatpost to support the bike in an upright position, I don't see why I need a bike rack for this "once every 6 months" requirement.  I have those "proper" straps that have a ratchet that you can use to make the straps really tight so nothing moves.  I have Thule roof racks.  

Or am I kidding myself?  And I'll end up with a bicycle handlebar through my roof or worse - flying off the roof?  

Any advice? 

you can, as long as you've tied it down properly. But I wouldn't do it that way. 

I used to flip my bikes, and tie the bars & saddle to the racks. put one bike bars forward, the other saddle forward. This way there's no chance of them moving, as long as they're tied down properly, and the bike will be far more stable as it's attached at 3 points instead of 2. 

Hi all, 

I am planning a few days away with the family and this creates a problem - I gotta take 4 bikes and I have a 2 bike carrier!  So, I've been researching getting a rooftop carrier to take the 2 additional bikes.  But they aren't that cheap.  I was wondering, why not attach 2 bikes directly onto the roof racks?

If you tied the wheels directly onto the bar of the roof rack with straps and then put some further "guy" straps to the handlebar and seatpost to support the bike in an upright position, I don't see why I need a bike rack for this "once every 6 months" requirement.  I have those "proper" straps that have a ratchet that you can use to make the straps really tight so nothing moves.  I have Thule roof racks.  

Or am I kidding myself?  And I'll end up with a bicycle handlebar through my roof or worse - flying off the roof?  

Any advice? 

I saw this article this morning (see the link below) and thought it is a clever way to do what you want to do.  If you tie the grips on one bar and the saddle on the other, with a little padding then it should work.  You might have a problem if the bikes are not the same size.

https://newatlas.com/upside-rack-review/56476/ 

the way I would do it on a budget:

https://www.instructables.com/id/Mountain-Bike-Fork-Truck-Mount/

https://www.thule.com/en/za/bike-rack/truck-bed-bike-racks/thule-low-rider-_-4880

or

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/bicycle-bike-fork-mount-rack-car-carrier/CB-617C

mount it to the roof racks and then add a strap for extra safety, then put the 2 front wheels in bags on top of all other gear in boot...

like so

img7399-1024x576.jpg?itok=SI2ifIeS

If you are going this route then buy a pool noodle and slice a slit into it length ways so you can nest the bars in the slit. Then place that on the rack and tighten down. Will protect things and help with vibrations causing loosening. As a once off I dont see it being too much of a hassle.

I have done this by using holdfast fittings onto my roof rack.  

It works well as long as you have the distances correct.  

Use a channel from front to back bolted on.

Edited by Sepia

Take pedals off and put them in any way you want but preferably flat (yes on top of each other)

BUT  !!!!   BIG  BUT   !!!!

Use as many pool noodles as you can lay your hands on plus five more and make sure they can't slip out. Slit some noodles open and place over racks.

(flameproof)

Edited by porqui

Hi all, 

Any advice? 

Anything is possible, but this may be a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  This is likely to end in a bunch of  tear-filled scenarios, but if needs must, just use a lot of rope.  In fact, that is good advice for a lot of things

If you are going this route then buy a pool noodle and slice a slit into it length ways so you can nest the bars in the slit. Then place that on the rack and tighten down. Will protect things and help with vibrations causing loosening. As a once off I dont see it being too much of a hassle.

You can buy armaflex or insulation already split and preformed to the correct dia at builders or a plumbing supplier.Much easier and neater.All my kayak and surfboard racks had them on.Secure with zip ties

I would be very careful using ratchet tie downs easy to over tighten  and then over stress and damage the bike

• 7 months later...

Just to report back on this, I did do the trip with bikes attached to the roof racks.  Took absolutely AGES to attach the bikes.  And even with all that effort, we had to stop on the side of the N3 when we noticed one of the bikes was wobbling.  Stood there in the rain sorting it out!   :cursing:

Overall, I would say that whilst it did work, I am not sure I'd repeat the exercise if I had a choice and also, I would be worried about damaging bikes doing this.  It's not recommended (by me anyway!) :oops:

Just to report back on this, I did do the trip with bikes attached to the roof racks.  Took absolutely AGES to attach the bikes.  And even with all that effort, we had to stop on the side of the N3 when we noticed one of the bikes was wobbling.  Stood there in the rain sorting it out!   :cursing:

Overall, I would say that whilst it did work, I am not sure I'd repeat the exercise if I had a choice and also, I would be worried about damaging bikes doing this.  It's not recommended (by me anyway!) :oops:

I thought at the time you asked the question that the better option would have been to put the bikes on the back seat and strap the kids onto the roof rack.

I didn't suggest it as I was worried that you may have done so and then damaged your bike when you put the coolbox on the back seat......

I'm smiling....

Just realised I can borrow my old mans old school holdfast when I'm pulling my trailer and I can gooi the two kiddie bikes on my holdfast twin runner either on my trailer or the roof racks. Mmmm it will have to be on the trailer the one SUP will go on the car... 

**** I'm going to look like I'm coming from the Tranvaal with all my ****! 

:blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

PS there's nothing that makes you feel more of a ballie than when you hooking your trailer!  :offtopic: