Up-size disk rotors

JacBrand

I have a hard tail (old Cannondale F29)

It has as standard 185mm front and 160mm rear disks

I have a spare 203mm and 180mm disk.

What would the advantage be of changing the front to 203mm and rear to 180mm?

P.s. the fork can use up to a 203mm rotor.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better stopping power due to less heat build up.

Unfortunately you need new adapters for the rotor change, also sometimes a washer or 2 getting it to fit perfect.

The fork will likely run without adapter at that size

For a hardtail I see absolutely no point in upsizing your rotors. You're not going to be bombing down hills at the speed of dual suspension bikes, so why require the same kind of stopping power that basically, downhill bikes, have?

All my bikes have 160mm front and rear. My newest bike came with a 180mm on the front (120mm dual sus trail bike), which I promptly swopped out for a 160mm, which is more than enough meat to stop just about any rider who isn't racing world cup downhills.

I went up to 203 and 180 and the difference is surprising. The maths say it should only make a 10% difference or so but it feels like a lot more more. Im liking the stopping power a lot, one finger can send you over the top though so be careful, and warn someone that wants to ride your bike. I weigh 82, if you weigh less than 80 i would not recommend 203 at all

How much do you weigh and what kind of riding do you do?

I am about 75kg, mostly cross country with an unhealthy taste for technical descends.

I know that I will need spacers.

Thanks for the feed back

Pros:

better modulation of power

more power

better heat control (less chance of fade)

Cons:

Heavier, if that makes a difference to you

Its also more prone to bending - another con

what fork do you have that is compatible with a 203mm rotor?

Lefty 1.0

The user manual states max rotor 200mm (doubt the 3mm will make much difference) 

For a hardtail I see absolutely no point in upsizing your rotors. You're not going to be bombing down hills at the speed of dual suspension bikes, so why require the same kind of stopping power that basically, downhill bikes, have?

All my bikes have 160mm front and rear. My newest bike came with a 180mm on the front (120mm dual sus trail bike), which I promptly swopped out for a 160mm, which is more than enough meat to stop just about any rider who isn't racing world cup downhills.

No man - not everyone is a weight weenie XCO Marathon clone who pussyfoots around , even if they ride an F29.  Most of us weigh more than WC dh racers too. I have a hardtail with a 203/180 set up. It rocks. I have never heard of anything as silly as down sizing a disk rotor especially not on a trail bike. How about some skill training so you can actually learn to use the bike properly - including the brakes. 

No man - not everyone is a weight weenie XCO Marathon clone who pussyfoots around , even if they ride an F29.  Most of us weigh more than WC dh racers too. I have a hardtail with a 203/180 set up. It rocks. I have never heard of anything as silly as down sizing a disk rotor especially not on a trail bike. How about some skill training so you can actually learn to use the bike properly - including the brakes. 

LOL. Come ride with me bro, we can talk again. Been racing since the 90's, since the days of SAMBA nationals. Got the medals for top 3 in downhill to prove it. I'm pretty sure my skills is just fine by now  :clap: . I'm not as "carefree/foolish" I was like I was back then, but I defo do not pussyfoot around.

I'd rather focus on making sure my brakes were serviced and dialed in correctly, than upsizing the rotors on a hardtail.

LOL. Come ride with me bro, we can talk again. Been racing since the 90's, since the days of SAMBA nationals. Got the medals for top 3 in downhill to prove it. I'm pretty sure my skills is just fine by now  :clap: . I'm not as "carefree/foolish" I was like I was back then, but I defo do not pussyfoot around.

I'd rather focus on making sure my brakes were serviced and dialed in correctly, than upsizing the rotors on a hardtail.

Hahaha you're on Chomma. Give me a shout when you're in Cape Town again and I'll find you some suitable steep loose stuff to test your 160mm rotor on. 

PS I have a set of LX V Brakes lying around if you interested. Gold and black levers :-) 

Hahaha you're on Chomma. Give me a shout when you're in Cape Town again and I'll find you some suitable steep loose stuff to test your 160mm rotor on. 

PS I have a set of LX V Brakes lying around if you interested. Gold and black levers :-) 

HAHAHAHA! Deal.  :thumbup:

Granted, the last time I raced national downhills, it was on V brakes!  :clap:

OOOHHHH!!!! A willy measuring contest! Slap it out on each others foreheads!

On a serious note, can I come on my HT when you guys do this? Please? 

Archived