Intervals.icu interval detection and training tool

Thanks! or maybe the option of "auto FTP" where you scan the rides and find the best 20min effort

Yes it is working. You probably don't have an FTP set. I need to add a check for that for new users before analysing all their rides. If you go to intervals.icu/settings and capture your FTP I will trigger a re-analysis of your rides tonight.

Not having FTP set will also make a mess of the interval detection. I had better get on the "new user" feature.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Intervals.icu will now prompt you for your FTP if you haven't set one before analysing all your activities. If you have an FTP set on Strava you can choose to use that or change it. This is an important fix for people who are not premium Strava subscribers.

Coming soon: Editing intervals.

Edited by davidtinker

Intervals.icu now supports editing intervals. Just drag the left or right edge to where you want it. If You drag an edge over or into another interval they will be merged. If you shrink the interval to nothing it will be deleted. You can also add new intervals at the marker position by pressing 'A'.

If you find yourself having to edit a lot please send me a link to the activities involved so I can improve the auto-detection algorithm.

I have just add a "time in power zones" chart under "Power Stats" for each Intervals.icu activity. The weekly totals now use this information instead of totalling the interval power zones.

attachicon.gifpower_zones.jpg

My Power Stats is blank.

And I think my time zone is still causing trouble with putting activities into the correct day.

Is there a trick to using the Intervals tab? Nothing I do to time, power or cadence shows any graph/plot. Only a white space.

Thanks David!

post-7393-0-85739900-1542149595_thumb.png

post-7393-0-43854700-1542149955_thumb.png

post-7393-0-85516100-1542150201_thumb.png

The power stats are for each activity, I haven't done anything with accumulated stats yet.

post-5083-0-59142500-1542168193_thumb.png

Your interval search chart isn't working because some of your activities are failing to sync from Strava causing the whole lot to fail. I will figure out whats up with that tonight. Same thing is happening to the fitness chart.

The timezone problems will be harder to sort out I think.

My Power Stats is blank.

And I think my time zone is still causing trouble with putting activities into the correct day.

Is there a trick to using the Intervals tab? Nothing I do to time, power or cadence shows any graph/plot. Only a white space.

Thanks David!

I have sorted out the "Not found errors". The Strava API gives a 404 (not found) error if you try and download streams (time, watts etc.) from an activity that has none ("WeightTraining" in your case). Now the fitness graph comes up and the interval search works.

My Power Stats is blank.

Thanks David!

I have sorted out the "Not found errors". The Strava API gives a 404 (not found) error if you try and download streams (time, watts etc.) from an activity that has none ("WeightTraining" in your case). Now the fitness graph comes up and the interval search works.

Legend! Thanks David. There is always that one difficult customer  ^_^

I have added a power histogram to the Intervals.icu activity power page. It uses a 5 second moving average to bucket the power data.

post-5083-0-79976800-1542469035_thumb.png

Next up: Fix timezone bugs and start working on power curve stuff (including FTP estimate without doing a horrible test etc.).

Intervals.icu now supports editing intervals. Just drag the left or right edge to where you want it. If You drag an edge over or into another interval they will be merged. If you shrink the interval to nothing it will be deleted. You can also add new intervals at the marker position by pressing 'A'.

If you find yourself having to edit a lot please send me a link to the activities involved so I can improve the auto-detection algorithm.

Hi David

Once again no criticism, just comments:

The algorithm does not work very well for sub-FTP intervals, i.e. longer stretches of increased power. 

In the example below, I did a 38 minute block of pretty hard work, where my avg power was in excess of ~250W (to me this is Zone 3B or SS).  This below pic shows what it looks like in intervals.icu.  It says recovery for efforts that were full on Z3B intervals.  For the entire 38 minutes of hard riding, Intervals.icu only gave me credit for 5 X intervals all below 1 minute, where in fact I basically was balls-to-the-wall for 38 minutes.

post-14749-0-41353200-1542691961_thumb.jpg

Just an idea, perhaps one can have a slider function to adjust the sensitivity of the inteval intensity.  I.e. if you know you did an long effort where you tried your best to keep constant wattage over longer periods of sub-FTP efforts, but could not keep it perfectly constant due to the terrain, then it removes some of the spikes and bumps and calculates your intervals over longer periods.  If you did short HIT sprints, then you might want to increase the sensitivity?

In terms of editing, it works well if you want to edit only one interval, but if you have many in one ride, one would need way of saving your data as you go along.

Thanks again for the app

Hi Rudi Tx for the feedback.

Could you please mail me (david.tinker@gmail.com) a link to the activity you are talking about below, then I can have a look. Adding a sensitivity slider is an idea.

"In terms of editing, it works well if you want to edit only one interval, but if you have many in one ride, one would need way of saving your data as you go along"

It should remember your edits as you do them? What happened in your case?

The algorithm does not work very well for sub-FTP intervals, i.e. longer stretches of increased power. 

Just an idea, perhaps one can have a slider function to adjust the sensitivity of the inteval intensity.  I.e. if you know you did an long effort where you tried your best to keep constant wattage over longer periods of sub-FTP efforts, but could not keep it perfectly constant due to the terrain, then it removes some of the spikes and bumps and calculates your intervals over longer periods.  If you did short HIT sprints, then you might want to increase the sensitivity?

In terms of editing, it works well if you want to edit only one interval, but if you have many in one ride, one would need way of saving your data as you go along.

Intervals.icu now calculates a power curve for each ride. At the moment this is just used to pull out best efforts over some durations for a ride on the "Activity Power" page. Power curve etc. coming soon.

post-5083-0-90325900-1543375505_thumb.png

Intervals.icu now has a per-activity power curve. I am trying to figure out what other power curves I should track for comparison purposes (last 90 days, last 180 days, since start of "season"?). Strava's "all of 2018" isn't very useful since that falls in the middle of our summer. When I get that figured out I will add "best power" notifications to rides and so on.

post-5083-0-83091900-1543728140_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Intervals.icu now keeps track of power by training seasons configured on the "Power" page. These are used for comparison there and on the activity power page. Next up: Notifications when you achieve "season best power" for a given time and FTP estimates from shorter max efforts.

post-5083-0-60435300-1544956054_thumb.png