Intervals.icu interval detection and training tool

Ride names for all rides are now displayed in on the activity calendar view (used to be only for races). The ride timeline chart now displays rides with irregular time intervals (e.g. rides with only heartrate data) correctly.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Intervals.icu now calculates its own weighted average power (NP) and training load (TSS) for each activity and displays these on the activity page and activity calendar with weekly total. I can't use TSS and NP since these are trademarked so I have gone with the Strava equivalent terms.

My weighted average power numbers are very slightly different to Strava probably due to the way I handle power drop outs and so on.

Weighted average power is calculated according to this Andrew Coggan post: 

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Normalized_Power_Formula_or_Calculator..._P3097774/

Training load is calculated according to this post from Science2Sport coaching:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/articles/training-nutrition/monitoring-your-training-load-r7477

(the TSS formula needs a x100)

Hmm. Looks like it should have. Could you please mail me a link to the ride (david.tinker@gmail.com) and and also a link from https://intervals.icu/followers so I can follow you and have a look at it. Tx.

Done.. BTW I’ve checked again this morning and it has picked up the 20X 30sec intervals. So not sure if you had had a look already or if it was just a sync server queue type issue. Cheers.

David this is awesome.

Way above my knowledge field.

Perhaps give a bit of back round about yourself?

Surely you are looking at selling this to bigger guys?

Well done and keep it up.

David this is awesome.

Way above my knowledge field.

Perhaps give a bit of back round about yourself?

Surely you are looking at selling this to bigger guys?

Well done and keep it up.

Tx. This is a side project to scratch an itch and learn some new stuff (both in technology and cycling) and the learn new stuff side is going well so far (tx John and Mike from sciencetosport!).

I am a software developer and cycle so I can drink more beer and not get fat.

Intervals.icu will now estimate training load (TSS) from rides with only heartrate data. You need to have at least 8 rides with power and HR data before the "HR only" ride and it works better if there are more.

I have a powertap hub so I don't get power when using my racing wheels or for MTB. Bit annoying to do a 4h MTB race and get zero training load credit :) That had to be fixed!

Hi David

Great app and I'd love to use it more!  Only comment is that I think your window for identifying intervals is a little short, i.e. you don't allow for longer intervals.

I do a lot of 8-10 minute threshold intervals and sometimes perhaps 30-45 minute sweet spot intervals.  Because the algorithm only looks for short intervals, it would break down every "long" interval into a number of sub-intervals with very little recovery time, especially if you're out on the road and lose a bit of power for a few seconds down a hill.

Example, I did a 10 minutes hill interval on the weekend where I averaged 300W.  Your algorithm broke this down into 3 separate intervals of ~330W with a number of "recovery" sessions inbetween.  I never dropped my power below 250W, so the "recovery" between these intervals were not recovery at all.

Perhaps an option to select multiple intervals to combine into 1 would be a great new feature.

Great app and I'd love to use it more!  Only comment is that I think your window for identifying intervals is a little short, i.e. you don't allow for longer intervals.

Tx. Could you please mail me (david.tinker@gmail.com) a link to that activity in intervals.icu so I can have a look?

The algorithm does try to join work intervals separated by "short" recovery intervals but I need to do some more work in that area. Generally intervals that are varied are a challenge vs square ones. 

I probably need to add a combine option as you suggest. I can track how often it gets used to judge the success or otherwise of the algorithm.

David, chapeau sir!! you have done a mighty fine job. I've just landed on intervals.icu, and it's quite a selection of data to peruse and study. only gripe is that the thought-police at my work place have blocked it... fair enough i guess - I'm here to work, not plan training sessions!

thanks again. great job!

edit- what'd be nice is to see heart rate min/max for intervals. not sure why, it'd be interesting to me. not sure of benefit though

Edited by lechatnoir

Hi David

:thumbup:  :thumbup:

Works perfectly on my side,. except the speed is showing incorrectly. shows my max as 15.

Have set the units to metric.

I do from time to time go above 15...... but not very often  :blush:

Works perfectly on my side,. except the speed is showing incorrectly. shows my max as 15.

Have set the units to metric.

I do from time to time go above 15...... but not very often  :blush:

Tx. This is fixed now. It was displaying in m/s. Now its km/h or mph.