Kickr 2018 - high pitched whine/screech after 20min

lechatnoir

OK, so the initial joy of the first 15 rides has been tempered somewhat after the last 2 ended up with a high-pitched whine/screech coming from the trainer after about 20min.

Was doing intervals of about 2min (100W) off and 30sec (500W) on Zwift - the Wringer to be specific. The first time I stopped and did a spindown test and it happened at around 35kmh again. The noise happens with or without load.

I'm going to have another crack tomorrow, this time with a camera capturing video which I'll take to store on Saturday

Anyone have any ideas in the meantime?

OK, so the initial joy of the first 15 rides has been tempered somewhat after the last 2 ended up with a high-pitched whine/screech coming from the trainer after about 20min.

Was doing intervals of about 2min (100W) off and 30sec (500W) on Zwift - the Wringer to be specific. The first time I stopped and did a spindown test and it happened at around 35kmh again. The noise happens with or without load.

I'm going to have another crack tomorrow, this time with a camera capturing video which I'll take to store on Saturday

Surely a defect, can't think of anything else but I don't know the exact internals of the unit.

Probably a bearing that is out of spec.

The Wahoo agents should really sort this out for you via the store you bought it from. 

Surely a defect, can't think of anything else but I don't know the exact internals of the unit.

Probably a bearing that is out of spec.

The Wahoo agents should really sort this out for you via the store you bought it from. 

+1

I have heard about one or two issues like this and the Wahoo guys sorted it out.

You sure its the trainer and not you losing your mind?

I think a ride outside will help this ;P

I considered that it MAY have been one of my kittens had jumped into the spokes, but I still have all of them, so it's not that.

Looks like video proof is in order before the store visit.

Will report back

• 2 weeks later...

The feedback...

Returned the trainer to CWC with a lovely 4k/60p video as proof after it happened a third time.

Collected my trainer yesterday, so was very fortunate to do a SECOND unboxing of the lovely Kickr 2018.

Did an interval session this morning, and lo and behold, there's a knock on each pedal stroke accompanied by a bell-like ding from the trainer with a definite 'buzz' into all contact points on teh bike. Perhaps there'll be a third unboxing?

The feedback...

Returned the trainer to CWC with a lovely 4k/60p video as proof after it happened a third time.

Collected my trainer yesterday, so was very fortunate to do a SECOND unboxing of the lovely Kickr 2018.

Did an interval session this morning, and lo and behold, there's a knock on each pedal stroke accompanied by a bell-like ding from the trainer with a definite 'buzz' into all contact points on teh bike. Perhaps there'll be a third unboxing?

sounds like my tacx flux experience.

after the third one gave in, I bit the bullet and upgraded to the NEO

Edited by fanievb

The feedback...

are those legit kickrs? :whistling:

I get the same, done 32km in total (bell-like ding)

I saw online there was issues with some of the 2018 Kickrs, guess we got those.

well, damn!! was it replaced?

You sure its the trainer and not you losing your mind?

I think a ride outside will help this ;P

You love an indoor ride though... Especially on Zwift  :ph34r:

well, third time's a charm... let's hope. took my trusty steed to CWC and between Charne and Ettienne, I have a third Kickr in the space of 2 weeks.

Kudos CWC for sticking through this. Let's hope this one lasts the distance...