Snakes in WC Spring Time

Grease_Monkey

2 hours ago, PhilipV said:

I've taken to spraying my legs with Peaceful Sleep before riding/running/ going into the veld.

Any mosquito spray/lotion that has DEET in it will apparently work, but PS mentioned Ticks on the bottle, so it's what I grabbed. 

Sadly  it doesn't do much to deter  snakes though. Unless you carry a can and a lighter with you. The VWS guys might not be happy with that suggestion though. 

Yes, this is the best solution or any other repellent tabard etc, for most flying insects. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I love how you guys still take the time to snap a photo of the snakes. If I ever see one, there will be no pics. Just me most likely setting some PR’s getting the hell outta there.

Same boat. My hands would be shaking too much and my pants would become to warm!!!

6 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Saw a snake flying across the ground one day at wynberg park like this. Man that thing was moving, not sure what it was but it was a fair distance away. 

The video showed this thing doing 40/20 intervals it seemed, because after it sat up, it took off at a rapid pace.

2 hours ago, PhilipV said:

I've taken to spraying my legs with Peaceful Sleep before riding/running/ going into the veld.

Any mosquito spray/lotion that has DEET in it will apparently work, but PS mentioned Ticks on the bottle, so it's what I grabbed. 

Sadly  it doesn't do much to deter  snakes though. Unless you carry a can and a lighter with you. The VWS guys might not be happy with that suggestion though. 

Just now, FootballingCyclist said:

Same boat. My hands would be shaking too much and my pants would become to warm!!!

I also use Tabard roll-on around my neck, cheeks and ears to keep the flies at bay, especially on Hoogekraal. I must admit I never considered that it would work for ticks. I think I even have a can of Tabard spray at home which I'll apply to my legs on my next ride and see how that goes.

Snakes, maybe I'm accustomed since growing up on a farm, but when I see one I normally stop and spend some time observing it from a safe distance.

I came across this fella by the beach at Glentana in January of this year, just in case anyone thought going to the beach was safe . . .

image.png.6cf3a907d25a16b1b5bca0616b2efaa5.png

So, to sum it all up:

riding on the trails is dangerous. So is riding on the road. Playing cricket is also a no-no, and now even going to the beach is hazardous. 🤣

5 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I came across this fella by the beach at Glentana in January of this year, just in case anyone thought going to the beach was safe . . .

So, to sum it all up:

riding on the trails is dangerous. So is riding on the road. Playing cricket is also a no-no, and now even going to the beach is hazardous. 🤣

and someone earlier posted about one hanging around in his garden, so you cant even stay at home.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I also use Tabard roll-on around my neck, cheeks and ears to keep the flies at bay, especially on Hoogekraal. I must admit I never considered that it would work for ticks. I think I even have a can of Tabard spray at home which I'll apply to my legs on my next ride and see how that goes.

Snakes, maybe I'm accustomed since growing up on a farm, but when I see one I normally stop and spend some time observing it from a safe distance.

Ticks in Cape are next level in Spring. I was walking the dogs who are on Bravecto in the veld. the little f00kers climb off the dogs and i find them crawling around the furniture. I havent had one on me yet but I think one bit my wife. Will try the peaceful sleep over the sunscreen. Hope it also helps with the horseflies which are also little SH$ts. Ate me up the other day.

Snakes at least get out the way .

45 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

So, to sum it all up:

A nearly two metre long Cape cobra spent the afternoon on Hout Bay beach on 10 November 2014. Picture: Jeffery Rinks.

10 November 2014 19:16

CAPE TOWN - A nearly two metre-long Cape cobra spent the afternoon at Hout Bay Beach.

https://ewn.co.za/2014/11/10/2-metre-cobra-takes-a-dip-at-the-beach

48 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

So, to sum it all up:

Wow seems like you got pretty close to that nope rope.

2 minutes ago, NeverNotRolling said:

Wow seems like you got pretty close to that nope rope.

Ja, I'm not too fussed. Growing up on a farm you learn to live with snakes. My dad was of course having a bit of a freak-out that I was getting too close to the thing, but I stayed well without it's strike range. A puffy is a fast striker sure, but it can only strike about one third of its own body length. I was about 40 - 50 cm away from it to take the pic. This snake was maybe 25cm in length.

5 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Ja, I'm not too fussed. Growing up on a farm you learn to live with snakes. My dad was of course having a bit of a freak-out that I was getting too close to the thing, but I stayed well without it's strike range. A puffy is a fast striker sure, but it can only strike about one third of its own body length. I was about 40 - 50 cm away from it to take the pic. This snake was maybe 25cm in length.

that's still about 4-5km to close. :)

Has there been a recorded case of a Cape Town cyclist being bitten by a venomous snake?

I've done quite a bit of mtb-ing and hiking around Cape Town and only ever saw one snake (bunny hopped over the tail of a definitely cobra probably mole snake at Bloemendal). 

I suppose if enough people with cameras cycle through an area that has snakes enough times, you are likely to get a good amount of pictures which makes it seem like it's a common occurrence?

Or maybe I am blind. Or lucky.

11 minutes ago, dexterdent said:

Has there been a recorded case of a Cape Town cyclist being bitten by a venomous snake?

I've done quite a bit of mtb-ing and hiking around Cape Town and only ever saw one snake (bunny hopped over the tail of a definitely cobra probably mole snake at Bloemendal). 

I suppose if enough people with cameras cycle through an area that has snakes enough times, you are likely to get a good amount of pictures which makes it seem like it's a common occurrence?

Or maybe I am blind. Or lucky.

I don't have stats on that, but I did read somewhere that for the most part people get bitten when trying to handle a snake. If you leave them alone they will never come and attack you. A snake will always try and get away from you.

I do think though that hikers have a much greater chance of being bitten than cyclists purely for the reason that snakes are generally well camouflaged and hiking trails, being very dissimilar to single track in that they are generally more overgrown, are prime places for snakes like puff adders to lie and bask when they get stepped on by hikers, and this leads to the snakes biting.

Did a bit of Bloemendal riding this morning, and at the top section next to the fence between Majic Forest and Bloemendal, there was a walker on Majic side, standing perfectly still, not even batting an eyelid. I stopped and asked what's the matter, and she managed to say "Snake". I asked which of the trail it went into, and she just pointed towards the Majic renosterveld side. I told her she should be safe, as it most probably slithered away already. Well, she started off with a hop, skip and jump that would have made any longjumper jealous, and hightailed it out of there.

Then sitting at the Clubhouse, reading my piled up messages on my cellphone, the Ladies working there was sitting at the table where the tap and hosepipe is. (I was the only cyclist there, so don't judge them.) The next moment I heard "SLANG, SLANG!!!!!!" accompanied by a few shrieks and howls. Cellphones was abandoned on the table.

I got up and had a look, and there was a beautiful, almost black, Mole Snake trying to gain access to the Male Toilet. I just closed the door in its face and crunched my feet in the stone chips on the ground to scare it off. It then made a hasty escape back into the grass next to the pallet bridge. It was about a meter and a bit long.

The staff could not believe I so nonchalantly got up to look at and then chase it off. As I immediately could see it was a Mole Snake and nothing more dangerous, I acted before it gained access to the bathroom, it would then have caused an even greater commotion, and could possibly lead to the snake being injured or killed in an effort to remove it from the bathroom.

Edited by Wannabe

5 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Ticks in Cape are next level in Spring. I was walking the dogs who are on Bravecto in the veld. the little f00kers climb off the dogs and i find them crawling around the furniture. I havent had one on me yet but I think one bit my wife. Will try the peaceful sleep over the sunscreen. Hope it also helps with the horseflies which are also little SH$ts. Ate me up the other day.

Snakes at least get out the way .

So the list of things not to do anymore is getting longer. There is no more:

Cycling in the trails

Cycling in the road

Going to the beach

Swimming at the beach

Staying at home

Playing cricket

Going to bike parks

Going to the toilets

Getting water from a tap

and according to Samuel L. Jackson, flying is also dangerous