Snakes in WC Spring Time

Grease_Monkey

So being new to Western Cape, this is my first spring time riding here. I have a very flexible schedule so I ride alone quite a bit during the week, mainly at Helderberg trails.

During my ride last week Wednesday afternoon I encountered 2 cobras withing 10km, one going uphill, the other downhill - both which I narowly avoided. Earlier this year I also nearly rode over a juvenile puffy. So very venomous snakes are a reality, and with spring upon us I'm guessing more so now than the rest of the year.

This has me feeling slightly paranoid to say the least. So what do you guys do about snakes? When are they most active (time of day)? And what is the best action to take if I am alone and do end up getting a bite on a place like Helderberg where ambulances cannot access me?

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That one pic you posted was a mole snake, not a cobra.

Seriously, your odds of getting bitten by a snake whilst walking would be one in a million, never mind riding a bicycle.

There are some big Cobras in the Eden forest in Stellenbosch, more on the lower sections towards the dam/stream. They tend to stick to the path, so keep a good look-out.

Plenty puffies and Cobras in Jonkers.

Besides that,stop stand still, it will move away.

Whereever you are riding make sure you have the emergency number for that particular area, by that I mean for SANPARKS. If you are in inaccessible area there is a Wilderness Search and Rescue team that can get to you. Please don't call a private ambulance service as they will most likely 1st try and get you and then realise they can't. If all else call 112 or 107 or 10177.

That one pic you posted was a mole snake, not a cobra.

Seriously, your odds of getting bitten by a snake whilst walking would be one in a million, never mind riding a bicycle.

Good to know. I didn't think it was a cobra when I took a pic of it (if I did think it was a cobra I never would've taken a picture!) - someone else told me they think it's a cobra. But that does make me a bit less worried because the second snake was the same as the first - so also a mole snake then.

Whereever you are riding make sure you have the emergency number for that particular area, by that I mean for SANPARKS. If you are in inaccessible area there is a Wilderness Search and Rescue team that can get to you. Please don't call a private ambulance service as they will most likely 1st try and get you and then realise they can't. If all else call 112 or 107 or 10177.

Good to know - will do. My first call probably would've been a private ambulance service...

I have been lucky in the past couple of years I have only encountered 3 or so, 1 was very small (I am no snake expert????‍♂️) and jumped over it 1 was big and black (no I am not a racist) and in the middle of path (thanks good brakes????) only really scary situation was with a fat puffy we nearly stopped on because we didn't see it.

I think bikes (or just me) makes noise and vibration and snakes will always try to avoid people. That's what I like to believe.

post-80000-0-05475900-1538976886_thumb.jpg

post-80000-0-29602100-1538977094_thumb.jpg

I think we all have our fears of snakes on the trails.

I have my personal paranoia about snake encounters.

A friend told me to go join the Facebook group "snakes of South Africa".

There is some seriously good info there and there's lots to learn about identifying snakes in your area and common misconceptions about snakes, etc, and probably most importantly what first aid tactics you can use on yourself if you do get bitten.

I feel a little more at ease now, but I know that will all go flying out the window as soon as I'm riding around a corner into a puffy in front of me

Greasy, in my 18 years of riding, I can't recall more than 10 snake encounters.

None of these encounterds was dangerous to me. Snake and I waited it out until I could safely make my way past it.

I reckon hiking has a higher probability of encountering a snake.

Golden rule, remain calm., and let them be.

If in the unlikely event that you do get bitten, try to ID the snake so that you can inform the ER staff.

There is a very nice SA Snake App that helps ID snakes and has all the info you need. I'll see if I can dig it up.

There is a very nice SA Snake App that helps ID snakes and has all the info you need. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Sounds like something handy to have!

Strange enough I have never really been paranoid about snakes, even after the first encounter - but when it becomes 2 in a day then you realise the chances for a bit are there. I know it's really rare and unlikely - but just wanna school myself uo a bit on identifying snakes in the area and what to do on the off chance...

I once saw a molslang or something at Meerendal, almost shat my pants and literally almost cried. Never want to experience that again.

So being new to Western Cape, this is my first spring time riding here. I have a very flexible schedule so I ride alone quite a bit during the week, mainly at Helderberg trails.

During my ride last week Wednesday afternoon I encountered 2 cobras withing 10km, one going uphill, the other downhill - both which I narowly avoided. Earlier this year I also nearly rode over a juvenile puffy. So very venomous snakes are a reality, and with spring upon us I'm guessing more so now than the rest of the year.

This has me feeling slightly paranoid to say the least. So what do you guys do about snakes? When are they most active (time of day)? And what is the best action to take if I am alone and do end up getting a bite on a place like Helderberg where ambulances cannot access me?

I ride early mornings, and I think this has helped me avoid snakes on the trails.

Honestly, I see snakes here pretty rarely. I live at the base of eden forest (paradyskloof) and over the last 4 years have ridden or run there about 3-4 times per week on average; generally around the forest, mont marie and g-spot. As the crow flies, this is only a few kms from where you ride. I'd say I see about 4 snakes per year, and only once has it been anything other than a mole snake. On that one occasion it was a puff adder. They (puff adders) tend to be pretty lazy (but bad tempered) snakes. So unless you stand on it or aggravate it within striking range, it wont do anything. I used to see snakes far more frequently living in Swazliand and suburban KZN. 

It's not something I think about when I'm out. I suspect the brief section of the R44 I have to ride on on my way to work is far more dangerous.  

As far as the right course of action goes, I can't help. But I would be interested to know.