Jumping lights

Andreas_187

I never cross a green traffic light unless I am sure that it is safe to do so.  The same applies to a red light.

You should not be crossing a RED at ALL. unless there are NO-one to see you do it then maybe just maybe......

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First we need public transport lanes/dropoff areas. 

<snip>

Taxis are a law unto themselves, but I wonder how much passengers add to the general malaise... Top here, pick me up here... often in the daftest places. but hey... such is life

I never cross a green traffic light unless I am sure that it is safe to do so.  The same applies to a red light.

(If it is impossible for me to proceed, mostly due to traffic density, I practice my track stand.)

Those who have problems with crossing red lights should never do the Jozi Hustle. 

What is this? Never heard of it before. Looks super chaotic and reckless, but seems that there is a metro officer on a motorbike beside the bunch.

Taxis are a law unto themselves, but I wonder how much passengers add to the general malaise... Top here, pick me up here... often in the daftest places. but hey... such is life

While I know and agree with what you mean, calling them a law unto themselves implies their actions are lawful and just. They are a menace unto themselves is more fitting, I think - this after nearly being clipped by a taxi again this morning.

edit: just removed erroneous question marks

100%. Because if taxi X isn't going to drop me off exactly where I want to be, or get me somewhere a few seconds earlier, there are a hundred more just behind it that sure will. Customer is king at the end of the day. Unfortunately it only takes one to break a(nother) law to set a new precedent. 

Bunch of fecking pricks, the lot of them. 

reminds me of the stretch of road along the Sea Point Promenade through Granger Bay. chaos at the best of times

except for the cyclists not 3 abreast

Ok, every other road user besides motor bikes is 2 abreast any way. Most of the times no one is in the second seat though...

reminds me of the stretch of road along the Sea Point Promenade through Granger Bay. chaos at the best of times

That road is the worst, the number of times I have slowed down to stop at the lights and the car behind me has to skid to stop! The cars are out of control on that road! Mayhem!

• 7 months later...

A bit of thread revival. I have to call out the three guys riding through a red light this morning on Langeberg rd going to toward Pinehurst in Sonstraal Heights this morning. Without a care in the world you three just blasted through the red light, not even slowing down a little bit, riding two abreast, with one guy in the yellow and the other in the road. One had tiletoria kit and the other Oryx. We all have a collective responsibility to try and change the minds of motorists through our actions. You just reinforced most motorists believe this morning.

A bit of thread revival. I have to call out the three guys riding through a red light this morning on Langeberg rd going to toward Pinehurst in Sonstraal Heights this morning. Without a care in the world you three just blasted through the red light, not even slowing down a little bit, riding two abreast, with one guy in the yellow and the other in the road. One had tiletoria kit and the other Oryx. We all have a collective responsibility to try and change the minds of motorists through our actions. You just reinforced most motorists believe this morning.

if only all cyclists see it this way. Unfortunately when I commute, I see this all the time. There is only a handful of cyclists on the commute that actually follow the law.

Archived