Hunting - yes or no?

leeubok

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have changed my opinion on many things.

People who who refuse to change their opinions are usually towards either ends of the spectrums. The real meat and bones (or lentils) of society however reside in the quieter more middle part of the bell curve.

The reason why you don't see it though is for a few reasons. 

Firstly, most arguments are people who are too far apart on the spectrum trying to shout the other person down. Eg: A atheist is never going to convince a deeply religious person that god doesn't exits, they are too far apart. A handlebar moustache wearing, black powder musket wielding trophy hunter in most cases, will not be convinced to go vegan. People closer to the centre need to gently nudge those who are not too far from them on the spectrum.

Then there is the ego part. People think/believe that changing your opinion when new facts are presented is an admission of being wrong. Little do people know that changing your opinion based on new facts is in fact a good thing.

Then there is the time/self realisation thing. If a vegan wants to convert say somebody like me. Present them with data, and then let them realise on their own accord that its a good idea or not. Doing a Powerpoint presentation and then saying "right, you have seen the data, you don't have a strong counter argument, now sign on the dotted line" might work for selling vacuum cleaners, but not life choices.

Short socks?

In ALL of the religion/vegan/opinion threads we see posters going wild, posting scientific studies, posting personal experiences etc etc but not in one have I actually seen anyone change their stance on a subject.

The Bikehub, where the points dont matter and where everyone is always right! Well IMHO

Something I would like to see on Bikehub is a poll where you can vote or click when you have changed your opinion on something.

After reading a lot of the Vegan posts I'm trying to up my game a bit and go from mostly plant based to almost Vegan.

I'm also not going to throw any more banana skins into the bushes and I'm going to give up my supertuck aero position.

giphy.gif

Nope, haven't heard a good argument for them yet.

No safari suit sock tan, but then I suppose there is also nowhere to put your comb

No safari suit sock tan, but then I suppose there is also nowhere to put your comb

Main problem with short socks is you cant put enough print on them. Got to be long to get the designs on!

In ALL of the religion/vegan/opinion threads we see posters going wild, posting scientific studies, posting personal experiences etc etc but not in one have I actually seen anyone change their stance on a subject.

The Bikehub, where the points dont matter and where everyone is always right! Well IMHO

Something I would like to see on Bikehub is a poll where you can vote or click when you have changed your opinion on something.

I'm not so sure. Like any Virgin Active, there be many folks here who stop by just to watch. Who knows what their experiences are.  

I have changed my opinion on many things.

People who who refuse to change their opinions are usually towards either ends of the spectrums. The real meat and bones (or lentils) of society however reside in the quieter more middle part of the bell curve.

The reason why you don't see it though is for a few reasons. 

Firstly, most arguments are people who are too far apart on the spectrum trying to shout the other person down. Eg: A atheist is never going to convince a deeply religious person that god doesn't exits, they are too far apart. A handlebar moustache wearing, black powder musket wielding trophy hunter in most cases, will not be convinced to go vegan. People closer to the centre need to gently nudge those who are not too far from them on the spectrum.

Then there is the ego part. People think/believe that changing your opinion when new facts are presented is an admission of being wrong. Little do people know that changing your opinion based on new facts is in fact a good thing.

Then there is the time/self realisation thing. If a vegan wants to convert say somebody like me. Present them with data, and then let them realise on their own accord that its a good idea or not. Doing a Powerpoint presentation and then saying "right, you have seen the data, you don't have a strong counter argument, now sign on the dotted line" might work for selling vacuum cleaners, but not life choices.

I think that it is of upmost importance for people to develop and nurture the ability to reflect on and challenge their own beliefs. It's however not something that comes naturally to most people. People rarely change their opinions because they don't go through this process. 

I'd like to share a short anecdote, if y'all don't mind. 

I used to be strongly religious. I was never the button shirt and Toughees wearing flyer pusher, but I attended church every so often and believed in a personal god and the power of prayer. My sister ended up marrying a guy who was a vocal atheist. He would constantly make little quips, post anti-religious stuff on Facebook and it drove me nuts. I got so triggered by this oke, that it eventually drove a wedge between my sister and I. However, all of the stuff that he said made a little crack in the deep recesses of my religious mind and I found myself asking myself why I believe, whether there really is a god and why I think that this god would take a personal interest in me. This was months of reflection and self-doubt, but at the end of it all, I came to the realisation that I simply believed because everyone else believed and expected me to do the same, that god never spoke to me and that there was in fact no evidence to support the existence of a god. That is how I fundamentally changed my worldview. 

Sometimes we just need somebody to show or crack open the door for us. 

That's what I've decided to do in regards to veganism. Present the facts (that being said, I've never on this forum even really touched on the horrors of factory farming), don't sugarcoat, but also be open to hear the other side and reflect on what they're presenting. That's what I've tried to do with the question Leebok posed. 

Main problem with short socks is you cant put enough print on them. Got to be long to get the designs on!

World champion stripes fit no problems, the rest is just fashion gimmickry