Hunting - yes or no?

leeubok

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, ok. "wooosh"  :whistling:

If you're going to start a topic that will cause debate and disagreement, at least be mature enough not to be insulting and sarcastic.

Edited by FrankG

If you're going to start a topic that will cause debate and disagreement, at least be mature enough not to be insulting and sarcastic.

Please quote where I insulted anyone. 

Some interesting research being done on supporting pollinator populations on monocropped farms. 

Scientist unveils blueprint to save bees and enrich farmers

Stefanie Christmann of the International Center for Agricultural Research in Dry Areas will present the results of a new study that shows substantial gains in income and biodiversity from devoting a quarter of cropland to flowering economic crops such as spices, oil seeds, medicinal and forage plants.

Christmann has spent the past five years working on a different approach, which she calls “farming with alternative pollinators” with field trials in Uzbekistan and Morocco.

The essence of the technique is to devote one in every four cultivation strips to flowering crops, such as oil seeds and spices. In addition, she provides pollinators with cheap nesting support, such as old wood and beaten soil that ground nesting bees can burrow into. Sunflowers were also planted nearby as wind shelters.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/23/scientist-unveils-blueprint-to-save-bees-and-enrich-farmers

Some interesting research being done on supporting pollinator populations on monocropped farms.

Scientist unveils blueprint to save bees and enrich farmers

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/23/scientist-unveils-blueprint-to-save-bees-and-enrich-farmers

I like seeing stuff like this, and have long thought that we need to move away from monocropping in order to preserve soil nutrient bio-availability. Properly researched with one goal: to improve the current situation. If it works, AWESOME.

Recently had an expose locally where a wine farmer had poorly applied poison to vines to restrict / control ant activity. Had mixed it with molasses and then painted it on the vines. Bees came. And died. Logical conclusion, really, and totally unavoidable if it's been done properly.

Howsit guys. Haven't been online much the last few weeks. Good to see this thread is still alive and well. Ok maybe not well, but still alive!

I attended the KZN Wildlife Conservation Symposium last week. Coincidentally there was a lot of talk about hunting and conservation. Apparently all the talks will be loaded onto youtube, so I'll post the links here as soon as they're available. These are from experts in the field, so make up your own mind if you want to believe them or some keyboard warrior expert on bikehub. Oh and by the way, it wasn't even up for discussion whether hunting is beneficial to conservation. It was however pointed out that the conservation benefit is often incidental, which is something I also tried to highlight on this thread as well. 

As for pushing my "agenda" here, and replying to some name calling posts from Odinson, I don't see the point. I've had my say. With a bit of effort I can provide 100's of peer reviewed articles and reports to back my claims, but it still won't change the minds of some. 

Hmm. "Namecalling?" 

I'm intrigued by your approach to this thread. You started it with a very smug post, as if you thought you had a Royal Flush in hand, ready to drop some truth bombs on the Hub's bunny huggers. However, some basic research by a "keyboard warrior expert" quickly showed that your argument was very reductionist and you never provided evidence to support your argument. 

Anyways, I'd love to see you provide all of these articles. From my research, there is little research that has really looked into the issue of commercial hunting on private ranches and their effect on biodiversity and conservation. 

That's my 2c for this Friday. 

• 1 month later...

Animals are not like Kruger Rands. They don't last forever. Once an animal starts to loose condition, it might be better to cull/hunt it. We don't know the whole story.

Animals are not like Kruger Rands. They don't last forever. Once an animal starts to loose condition, it might be better to cull/hunt it. We don't know the whole story.

We don’t know the whole story about that animal, but I think we know enough about the person who shot it?

We don’t know the whole story about that animal, but I think we know enough about the person who shot it?

Sorry, but I have not met her.

I've seen giraffes like that and afaik they become dark/blackish when they're very old

It would've gone somehow anyway...prolly lions

So she did the lions out of a meal.....

One of the problems of SJW posts is that it lacks perspective. Like the picture of the migrant baby washing out on the seashore.

One picture creating a total chaos in Europe.

I can argue that the shooter is a real schmuck. And that adds credibility to the anti hunters fraternity.

And then I can also argue that all vegans, environmentalists, and animal rightists are Nazis.

Because Hitler was a vegetarian. And Bunny huggers are Nazis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_welfare_in_Nazi_Germany

I see some nice names in the wiki article. Goebbels, Himmler, Goring.

Do we thus conclude that environmentalists, animal rightists and vegans are crazy militants? Because we "know what kind of people Himmler, Hitler and Goring were".

Hence my reasoning that inflammatory posts like that lacks perspective.

Edited by Goodbadugly