Munga musings from a novice - The Race - Part 4 of the Trilogy

Carlog

I am no expert on this and have not done the "research" you have done on the tyres but Schwalbe Rocket Rons would probably be my last choice. I gave up on Schwalbe a few years ago due to their lack of puncture resistance. What even "proves" it to me is your statement of having "only" 5 plugs in 2900km's of riding. My Rocket Rons ended up looking like a pin cushion with all the plugs I put in. Since switched to MAXXIS and with probably 5000kms, yes 5000..... I have 1 plug in the back because I thought they were invincible and rode over a broken bottle so stupidity on my part but otherwise I cant fault them. Probably not the lightest but I wont trade them for anything else.

Their new ADDIX Snakeskin casings are better & tougher than the older snakeskin casings on their Ron and Ralph. On the Magic Mary the Snakeskin casing used to be far tougher than on the Ralphs, for some reason. 

This is probably the only time I'd consider a set of Crossmarks for a bike, though. LOL. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always see the comments around all the bolts and bits that I should take with. I am not questioning that, as I do believe it is necessary and taking it with.

My question would be as this is my first Munga as well. The reason why bolts etc. seems to come loose on the Munga? During the last 6000km I've haven't had any issues on bolts or such. Don't get me wrong, it can happen at any time. It just seems to happen a lot on the Munga. Is it because of the road conditions or participants adjusting too much stuff before the event.

See you all at the start. Blessings

Because peeps send the bike in for service before the ride and don't test properly. Let'd face it if you gave done 2K km in the month or two before the ride, why change anything? Another 1.2K km is not going to be an issue on the bike. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well done on your finish at THE Munga Carlo - knew you would make it but I'm sure it was still very tough.  Looking forward to hearing the good, the bad and the ugly.....

As you know I made it - 3 days 23 hours.  Physically and mentally busted, but nothing time and a few beers wont fix.  It was a privilege to meet many of you on route and even more of privilege to have complete strangers rooting for me.  Thank you.  

Taking a vacation from Thursday and need some time to pen an appropriate race report, which I will do - after all - my grandchildren will need proof!

Avanti!

As you know I made it - 3 days 23 hours.  Physically and mentally busted, but nothing time and a few beers wont fix.  It was a privilege to meet many of you on route and even more of privilege to have complete strangers rooting for me.  Thank you.  

Taking a vacation from Thursday and need some time to pen an appropriate race report, which I will do - after all - my grandchildren will need proof!

Avanti!

Well done sir! We look forward in gleeful,anticipation of your race report.

Avanti!

Carlo, was great meeting you, looking forward to your race report. Avanti e ci vediamo presto!

Holiday- bit cheeky - if you’d been on a bike for 4 days understandable

Enjoy your well earned break, eagerly awaiting report which is as close as I will ever get - I found dot watching tiring

So what's the next big challenge? With a little bit more training I'm sure an Ironman is possible  :ph34r: