Who still carries a spare tube? On a tubeless bike...

ByronH

Nee boeta.... i kanna believe your story

Did u forget the comic font?

;) it was surreal..... owner came running up all apologetic and offered to pay etc... I was completely stunned and just said no worries...lil ugly mongrel looking dog too.... have spent hundreds of hours in the woods and never an incident...then this...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

;) it was surreal..... owner came running up all apologetic and offered to pay etc... I was completely stunned and just said no worries...lil ugly mongrel looking dog too.... have spent hundreds of hours in the woods and never an incident...then this...

Isn’t there a song but not going into the woods?

I have managed to downsize the saddle bag ....  :whistling:   :eek:

But I just feel "naked" leaving the car park without the basics .....

My brain KNOWS for our rides I am unlikely to need it ... and even then I am never far from the starting point (prefer shorter circular routes)

I bought a Spez tube, much thinner wall, and half the packing volume.  So with a fair bit of tools and the tube the bag is VERY small.  The peace of mind makes it well worth it .... for me.

It’s insurance... you’ll never know when you might need it.

After cutting my tyre on a piece of glass once, I’ll always carry one...

Wait until you ding a rim and the tyre won't seat onto the rim anymore. You"ll be happy you wee carrying a spare tube.

This happened to me in 2003 during a marathon race.... as it was a "big" race i was not carrying a tube to save weight  :oops:  and only 1 bomb.... luckily a little further down the track there was a shimano service station which provided a tube so i could carry on

The  new tubolito S-Tubo-MTB Tube is a bit expensive but will get one for the Transbaviaans as it is very small and very light.

post-7670-0-68600400-1542225726_thumb.jpg

The new tubolito

S-Tubo-MTB Tube is a bit expensive but will get one for the Transbaviaans as it is very small and very light.

But the price is just stoopid.

On my XC bike I fit a standard 29er tube, 2 bombs, CO2 adapter, multi tool with chain tool, plugs, 2 tyre levers, and spare masterlink into a Speedsleev Ranger. Really neat and small packaging, no bouncing, and dropper post friendly. Another 2 bombs on my frame. Some insulation tape around the base of my seatpost just for incase. All the spares I may need, even for a long ride.

On the Enduro bike I ride with a pack, so that has all of the above plus a spare hanger (has come in handy before), cable ties (also come in handy before), 1 set of brake pads, a small hand pump, suspension pump, mushroom plug, tyre boots, 1 valve core, an extra cleat and cleat bolts (they can be used for other things too), and small bottle of lube. Maybe a little excessive - but all of it has come in handy at one point or another whether for myself or for someone I'm riding with. An quite honestly, it does not take up that much space if you pack smart.

I'd rather have everything I need than have to walk home. Ezel this year proved that to me...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

I'm noticing that everyone likes their bombs... I get it, but can we try be a little more environmentally savvy?

I used to rely only on bombs for inflation, but it's such a waste (and can get pricey). I encourage us all to use a pump for primary inflation and stick to a single bomb just for reseating.

I see they are recyclable though, so I guess it's up to own integrity to ensure that they end up in the right place.

Haven't carried a tube in over 10yrs now on the MTB, that's in stage races, bike-packing, and the general riding in-between.

I do carry a pump + 2 bombs though - Save the bombs for emergencies or in races where time might matter, the pump can get you out of trouble when you run out of bombs + the Co2 isn't sealant friendly.