Momsen MUNGA - Drop Bar VIPA ULTRA

TheJ

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of an identity crisis there. I'd ditch dropper for a fixed post with a bottle cage

But I like the in-frame battery storage and rigging the fork's lockout to the left-hand shifter was smart.

Attention to detail [emoji108]

Bit of an identity crisis there. I'd ditch dropper for a fixed post with a bottle cage

But I like the in-frame battery storage and rigging the fork's lockout to the left-hand shifter was smart.

Attention to detail [emoji108]

Would have loved a dynamo hub on the front

What am I missing here? I see a dual susp. with a road bike bar & levers, hardly a ground breaking design or idea. There's a reason it didn't float in the 90's, it was a bad idea :wacko:

here i thought i was the only one looking at this thinking WTF

What am I missing here? I see a dual susp. with a road bike bar & levers, hardly a ground breaking design or idea. There's a reason it didn't float in the 90's, it was a bad idea :wacko:

Sure it's not ground breaking. I think there have been mtb's with drop handle bars in every Munga. No one is saying it ground breaking.

How do you know it's a bad idea? Have you ridden the Munga (or something similar) on one, or are you just assuming?

Edited by GaryvdM

I would be interested to know what "packing" system the rider will be using? I know you get dropper post specific seat packs. If a seat pack will be used there is no space for extra water bottles.

What is the rules regarding water carrying, 4L? So there needs to be another 2 bottles on there, or a camelback.

I would be interested to know what "packing" system the rider will be using? I know you get dropper post specific seat packs. If a seat pack will be used there is no space for extra water bottles.

What is the rules regarding water carrying, 4L? So there needs to be another 2 bottles on there, or a camelback.

Yes, it will be interesting to see the final rig.

How do you know it's a bad idea? Have you ridden the Munga (or something similar) on one, or are you just assuming?

My comment on the bad idea stemmed mostly from the fact that it never went into high production but evolved into flat & riser bars with thumb shifters. I'd be interested to know if those are just standard road bike shifters or if the internals have been beefed up handle the dirt & dust that mtbing or gravel touring brings to the equation?

No, I've never done the Munga, it's on my bucket list but I have done numerous 7 days tours on my hardtail and road bike and I've yet to find a bar that's comfortable after day 3. Those touring bars are probably the best I've seen but I've yet to try them. A bar with multiple grip points and angles to help with pressure points just makes a lot more sense to me, including the ability to add tri-bars.

thanks the banter guys --- this was an in-house FUN project we did  //// we worked with RBC in Port Elizabeth on the tweaks and final assembly.

the guys from Cape Cycle Systems ( SRAM Importers to SA ) were also very helpful with the idea of mixing ROAD and MTB to make this bike happen.

with the MUNGA only a few days away we will be following the event closely and hope to see some VIPA ULTRA's on the startline come 2019 -- the bike was designed and developed with Stage Races / Marathons and events like the MUNGA / Freedom Challenge in mind. 

general comments and feedback on the bike has been " i'd ride that! " - so who knows ... maybe we end up producing something like this?

thanks the banter guys --- this was an in-house FUN project we did  //// we worked with RBC in Port Elizabeth on the tweaks and final assembly.

the guys from Cape Cycle Systems ( SRAM Importers to SA ) were also very helpful with the idea of mixing ROAD and MTB to make this bike happen.

with the MUNGA only a few days away we will be following the event closely and hope to see some VIPA ULTRA's on the startline come 2019 -- the bike was designed and developed with Stage Races / Marathons and events like the MUNGA / Freedom Challenge in mind. 

general comments and feedback on the bike has been " i'd ride that! " - so who knows ... maybe we end up producing something like this?

i do believe the inaugral munga was one on a PYGA.