True or Fake? Cyclist with knife stuck in skull (Warning: Graphic Image)

Allrounder

if you are reading news on social media sorry for your IQ having to sift through what is wrong and what is right. Facebook is social media not news media

Even from news reporters you need to read multiple sources because they all have an agenda.

True, but sticking to our pre-conceived idea of what is true/false is the same thing as what you think you are against.  This definitely looked dodge first time I saw it on Facebook BUT it became clear from multiple sources that it isn't.  What I'm trying to get at is being skeptical of absolutely everything all the time so that you cannot see reality is just as destructive.

(My reply is aimed of the discussion here, not specifically your post)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True, my wife is a Doc at the hospital where he came in (Helderberg). She was there when he came in and took some of those pics... He has been transferred to Tygerberg.

PS. He was commuting, not cycling for exercise, that is why he is dressed like that.

Oh, and just as an aside - everyone is worked up about this because it was a cyclist - this is not even close to the most hectic thing she sees coming through those doors on a regular basis (just talking about violence/muggings/attacks). We are most of the time completely oblivious to the level of violence that happens right under our noses.

Yeah quite right.

my mom worked in a govt hospital in the days when white and black had their own Hospitals..... weekends and pay day were the worst, recall a story of a guy with a axe wound to his head, axe was still attached.

Repeated incidents in the same area. It's very difficult to avoid that section if you live in the area, and unfortunately very hard to police...

Yeah quite right.

my mom worked in a govt hospital in the days when white and black had their own Hospitals..... weekends and pay day were the worst, recall a story of a guy with a axe wound to his head, axe was still attached.

Truly scary what people do to each other when alcohol and drugs are involved. And sometimes with a simple reason like "she was looking at my husband" or "he drank my beer". But anyway, I won't derail the thread.

This guy was super lucky - but apperently the real damage happens when the knife is removed...

Without coming across as insensitive to his ordeal, after seeing his injury...wonder if he was wearing a any kind of helmet? pretty sure one can get nailed like that by wearing one i guess, but can't help but think that maybe the perp would not have gone for the head if he might have thought he would "miss" because of the helmet? Looks quite high up considering where my helmet sits. anyway, not important and probably would not have made too much difference except for maybe the depth of the wound?. I have a hardshell piss-pot helmet though.

sidenote: my wife grew up on a farm in the Karoo, after showing her this she said this was quite a common thing in the coloured workforce in town on pay weekends - ie guys pitching up with knives in their heads looking for her dad to take them to the hospital...

Without coming across as insensitive to his ordeal, after seeing his injury...wonder if he was wearing a any kind of helmet? pretty sure one can get nailed like that by wearing one i guess, but can't help but think that maybe the perp would not have gone for the head if he might have thought he would "miss" because of the helmet? Looks quite high up considering where my helmet sits. anyway, not important and probably would not have made too much difference except for maybe the depth of the wound?. I have a hardshell piss-pot helmet though.

sidenote: my wife grew up on a farm in the Karoo, after showing her this she said this was quite a common thing in the coloured workforce in town on pay weekends - ie guys pitching up with knives in their heads looking for her dad to take them to the hospital...

Most people who commute (as an only option) can not always afford a helmet. 

Incident was on e-news last night at 7...they spoke to wimpie and the lady that was attacked...so this is at least getting some exposure...Alan Winde is also apparently looking into this as the Minister for Community Safety :thumbup:  I think we should get him on our "Stellies" whatsapp group :thumbup:

I can't read the news article, since N24 has decided that since I use an adblocker, I now have to pay to read their ****...ja, 'bout that!

How about....Turn your adblocker off for their site

Scary how violent farm workers can get over pay weekend over something as simple as someone else drinking his beer. And on monday they go on as if nothing happend.

Back to the cyclist. Has there been any new reports on his recovery or how successful the surgery to remove the knife was? Truly shocking that someone is capable of doing this to someone else for money or a cellphone.