The Veganism Thread

Odinson

I have been to a couple of vegan restaurants with some family members who are vegan.

Really delicious food.

We are also planning to try the vegan thing for a month next year to see how it goes.

At this stage not to save the world, just to spice it up a bit and try some new things.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am, if the taste and texture is comparable. 

Burgers are already there in terms of taste & texture, but it's $$$

A good veggie (not meat alternative) burger is excellent, though. Sometimes I honestly prefer them to the meat ones as they're more carefully constructed and less likely to be stuffed up in the cooking process. 

Try the Veggie patty at Roco Mamas, it's delicious. 

I cannot accept this type of cruelty as part of my life. I refuse to have them unimaginably suffer for my pleasure.

https://www.facebook.com/mercyforanimals/videos/198986484367636/

This is recent footage from Mexico. SA wouldn't be any different.

That is disgusting, fullstop. I think those okes should be tied up and the same done to them.

But... is that necessary for us to eat animals - NO. So, I agree, this has to stop. But stopping this does not mean we have to cut out meat. It simply means animals that are killed for our consumption must be killed quickly and painlesly - this is possible.

Being vegan is like being gay... if you don't want to be any of those things don't. You have the choice.

And its not even Friday yet. Insane

IMO it's a societal thing, linked to those animals we (society) consider as food stock vs companion animals. For example, if I was raised in China / Vietnam, I'd probably have no problem with eating dog meat. But I wasn't, and to me, a dog is the ultimate human companion. So I don't eat dog. I would probably eat dog if forced to, through starvation and it being the only available thing if I was stuck in the wilderness and my doglet had just died, but I'm not there and I cannot say yes or no to that. 

If I had a pet pig, for example, I'd still eat pork. Just not THAT pork, until it passes away. I would do the same for sheep / ducks etc. But I don't see ducks as pets, even though they're bloody good watch-animals. Chickens are solely food. Cows, I see as fodder for human consumption. 

Companionship, I think. 

I compartmentalize

Food...- I eat these

Wildlife - I look at these

Pets - I cuddle these

2 million dogs killed each year in South Korea for food:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/dog-meat-south-korea-olympics-explainer-spd/

Heard something about it on East Coast radio on the way home a few days ago. Here's me, driving a Kia, which is a South Korean car brand, and that's what's happening in South Korea. Almost makes me regret getting a Kia.

Here's a more recent article about the matter:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/07/south-korea-dog-meat-ban-animals/

Edited by WeekendWarrior80

What got man to the top of food chain was diet an make no mistake that diet consisted of meat.

Animals are bigger contributors to green house effect than all modes of transport combined so it makes good sense to start curbing meat eating. With the chemicals an hormones used in the meat industry there are many insidious side effects of eating meat.

Now on the topic of killing animals. Yes, it’s one I tussle with. Can’t deny that. Lamb chops on the braai or lamb bunny are some of the few pleasures in life. Artificially grown meat may be the answer here.

One thing I so dislike is that vegans can be so damn militant an infringe on the rights of others.

The irony of this made me chuckle.

Try the Veggie patty at Roco Mamas, it's delicious.

My wife was vegetarian for a few years, started eating meat again when we got married, anyway when we eat out she often orders vegetarian food. Mince is something she really doesn't like so it's always a veggie burger (with bacon haha - weird looks from waiters when she orders) at Roco Mammas - it is really nice!

I'd rather eat a well made veggie patty (not soy) than a cheap meat patty.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

My wife was vegetarian for a few years, started eating meat again when we got married, anyway when we eat out she often orders vegetarian food. Mince is something she really doesn't like so it's always a veggie burger (with bacon haha - weird looks from waiters when she orders) at Roco Mammas - it is really nice!

Absolutely

Agreed FULLY that the torture and abuse of animals bred for food needs to come to an end. A happy cow is a tasty cow, after all. 

In principle and far away from animal farms it's really easy to eat meat.

Standing in a rendering plant watching animals getting slaughtered its way tougher.

I initially decided to reduce my meat consumption primarily because my wife is a vegan and eating vegan during the week is just much easier but having lived in a stress free country like Denmark for a while now the idea of killing animals to eat is becoming more and more abhorrent.

In SA it didn't bother me in the slightest - echo chamber and all that. Throw in the crime/corruption/daily stress of SA and I don't think saffers have the ability/will to worry about "smaller" things like the animals, women's/children's right and OAPs.

''other sources of the killer elements, he discovered the amazing fact that these acacia trees were capable of defending themselves from over-browsing by literally killing off the animals that ate their leaves.

To top this off, he found that they also release ethylene from damaged leaves which float downwind, and are absorbed by neighbouring trees. The ethylene acts as a warning signal – a kind of chemical SOS. The neighbouring trees then start to produce more tannin-C before they are browsed''

https://uk.blastingnews.com/world/2015/10/the-incredible-killer-tree-that-broadcasts-an-sos-to-its-neighbours-00610971.html

Trees and plants have feelings.

We not being able to perceive it does not mean it does not exist. 

I remember this from a 50/50 piece many years ago, they found the plant eating animals dying from symptoms that seems to suggest dying of hunger, yet the animals all had full stomachs. Research then showed the trees were producing chemicals to fight of the animal population due to overgrazing.

Either way the whole argument is a bit silly. Being vegan is like being gay, religious, mixed race couples etc - if you don't want to be any of those things don't. You have the choice.

You also have the responsibility to not condemn anyone who chooses a lifestyle different to yours (same applies to them).

Interesting

Please tell me more 

Ja, I agree, has to be decent. The Wimpy/Spur/Steer excuse for a patty is disgusting.