The Veganism Thread

Odinson

For some it's a lifestyle choice - for most it isn't.

https://www.mentalhelp.net/blogs/being-gay-a-life-style-choice/

Does that cover it sufficiently for you?

As per the link you supplied: 

Conclusion

As a result of everything I have read, learned and experienced as a mental health worker, I long ago concluded that homosexuality is not a matter of choice. Instead, it seems quite clear to me that there is a combination of genetic and biological factors that cause people to become gay. Choice and willfulness have nothing to do with who does and does not become homosexual. Those who are gay have no more choice over their sexual preferences than those who are heterosexual.

Vegan clearly not the same as being gay

Edited by Escapee..

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As per the link you supplied: 

Conclusion

As a result of everything I have read, learned and experienced as a mental health worker, I long ago concluded that homosexuality is not a matter of choice. Instead, it seems quite clear to me that there is a combination of genetic and biological factors that cause people to become gay. Choice and willfulness have nothing to do with who does and does not become homosexual. Those who are gay have no more choice over their sexual preferences than those who are heterosexual.

Vegan clearly not the same as being gay

Read it once more...

Last time...

Got it now?

Read it once more...

Last time...

Got it now?

Okay so is being gay a choice or not?

''other sources of the killer elements, he discovered the amazing fact that these acacia trees were capable of defending themselves from over-browsing by literally killing off the animals that ate their leaves.

To top this off, he found that they also release ethylene from damaged leaves which float downwind, and are absorbed by neighbouring trees. The ethylene acts as a warning signal – a kind of chemical SOS. The neighbouring trees then start to produce more tannin-C before they are browsed''

https://uk.blastingnews.com/world/2015/10/the-incredible-killer-tree-that-broadcasts-an-sos-to-its-neighbours-00610971.html

Trees and plants have feelings.

We not being able to perceive it does not mean it does not exist. 

Drawing that conclusion ( that plants have feelings) from that is just wrong.

The logical explanation would be evolution favoured the survival of these trees that produced ethylene when tissue were damaged as well as those that responded to it. Ethylene is a plant hormone that serves many functions, including stimulating ripening of fruit as well as in this case where tissue is damaged. Tannins (phenolic compounds) are present in plants, and serves amongst other things to protect plants.

Nothing supernatural about it.

I'm going to go with: For some it's a lifestyle choice - for most it isn't.

He is saying that some are born that way. Some born straight choose to be gay.

It is both a choice for SOME and not a choice for others.

Let's keep this thread on track...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Sexuality is far to cOmplex and research far too little to make judgement calls on at this stage....early development, genetics, etc etc etc are little understood in relation to the complexity of the human being.

Insulting or having a holier than thou attitude on either side of the fence is unacceptable.

It is a valid card in that lions are forced to eat meat - humans have alternatives.

Either way the whole argument is a bit silly. Being vegan is like being gay, religious, mixed race couples etc - if you don't want to be any of those things don't. You have the choice.

You also have the responsibility to not condemn anyone who chooses a lifestyle different to yours (same applies to them).

Eldron you keep posting studies that show that most people have no choice in being gay.

That is not what you said in this quote though

So fix this and we can all go ahead and finish our organic kale salads

I'm going to go with: For some it's a lifestyle choice - for most it isn't.

Which isn't what you said in your first post regarding this.

Here is a well balanced view on it - by people with a lot more experience and education than me:

https://borngay.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001335

That should end that discussion.

You know the American psychological association listed hmesxuality as a disease as recently as 1972....

You really think in the time since then we completely understand homosexuality... way to soon to tell.

Back to veganism, you remember not so long ago, eggs were bad, butter was bad, fat was bad and margarine and low fat diets were the healthier alternative.

Point being, one should refrain from the aujourd'hui philosophy and the supposed enlightened views that follow.

Read it once more...

Last time...

Got it now?

Popcorn :whistling:

Drawing that conclusion ( that plants have feelings) from that is just wrong.

The logical explanation would be evolution favoured the survival of these trees that produced ethylene when tissue were damaged as well as those that responded to it. Ethylene is a plant hormone that serves many functions, including stimulating ripening of fruit as well as in this case where tissue is damaged. Tannins (phenolic compounds) are present in plants, and serves amongst other things to protect plants.

Nothing supernatural about it.

Very much a choice of definitions.

Trees can't run or cry. Trying to stay alive by omitting noxious substances is a next level of evolution.

Same as with ethylene. Ingenious.