The Veganism Thread

Odinson

In other news, thousands upon thousands of sheep are now being loaded onto that Middle Eastern death trap docked in PE. $ wins out again.

Same live transport to be slaughtered there?

If so, that's abominable

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same live transport to be slaughtered there?

If so, that's abominable

Yeah, same one. NSPCA tried their best, but the Dept. wasn’t interested.

There's more cows than people in Ireland....7 million cows. A multi million € cheese factory had just been built up the road from me. Complete reduction of the meat and dairy industry would collapse the economy. There's adopting a lifestyle for yourself while there's also being practical.

In other news, thousands upon thousands of sheep are now being loaded onto that Middle Eastern death trap docked in PE. $ wins out again.

That is horrific. I feel incredibly sorry for those animals. I cant stop thinking about it. Raised in brutal conditions, shipped in brutal conditions, brutally slaughtered upon arrival. Human beings disgust me sometimes.

That is horrific. I feel incredibly sorry for those animals. I cant stop thinking about it. Raised in brutal conditions, shipped in brutal conditions, brutally slaughtered upon arrival. Human beings disgust me sometimes.

Agreed, although I don't eat meat, I have no issue if you do BUT it does not give you the right to make an animal suffer....slaughter the livestock here and ship the meat across...

If the Muslims don't like it, tough luck mate...go somewhere else.

There's more cows than people in Ireland....7 million cows. A multi million € cheese factory had just been built up the road from me. Complete reduction of the meat and dairy industry would collapse the economy. There's adopting a lifestyle for yourself while there's also being practical.

Substitute products also create jobs.

So, something from Belgium that has got me frustrated, angry and deeply saddened. 

A while back Flanders (the province of Limburg to be exact) became home to the first wolf in a long time, Naya. She moved in from West Germany. She was closely followed by the various 'boswachters' and the Nature Agency. Camera traps were set up and she was reported on regularly in the media. Later, a male also moved into the area, August. August and Naya paired up and in the spring Naya became scarce and it was realised that she had pups with August and that during this time he hunted for them and brought food back to the den. 

3ef64e6e-e44b-11e9-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.png

The past few weeks there has been concern, as Naya had not been spotted and August had started behaving erratically and no longer brought food back to the den. It was later concluded that hunters had gone into the area and killed Naya and in all likelihood her pups. There's now a €20k reward on offer for information on the hunters. 

It disgusts and saddens me that such a beautiful and natural occurrence (the return of wolves to the Lowlands) can be undone by a couple of arseholes with guns. 

How does this relate to veganism? Again, it's about the mindset that non-human animals are ours to exploit, whether for food, sport, entertainment, experimentation. We're in an abusive relationship with our fellow earthlings and that needs to end.  

So, something from Belgium that has got me frustrated, angry and deeply saddened.

A while back Flanders (the province of Limburg to be exact) became home to the first wolf in a long time, Naya. She moved in from West Germany. She was closely followed by the various 'boswachters' and the Nature Agency. Camera traps were set up and she was reported on regularly in the media. Later, a male also moved into the area, August. August and Naya paired up and in the spring Naya became scarce and it was realised that she had pups with August and that during this time he hunted for them and brought food back to the den.

3ef64e6e-e44b-11e9-abcc-02b7b76bf47f.png

The past few weeks there has been concern, as Naya had not been spotted and August had started behaving erratically and no longer brought food back to the den. It was later concluded that hunters had gone into the area and killed Naya and in all likelihood her pups. There's now a €20k reward on offer for information on the hunters.

It disgusts and saddens me that such a beautiful and natural occurrence (the return of wolves to the Lowlands) can be undone by a couple of arseholes with guns.

How does this relate to veganism? Again, it's about the mindset that non-human animals are ours to exploit, whether for food, sport, entertainment, experimentation. We're in an abusive relationship with our fellow earthlings and that needs to end.

So basically she was murdered?

Odinson, I suspect you are ahead of your time. One day your beliefs will be adopted fairly widely I believe.

On all facets.

If we are to save mother Earth , a meat based diet has to cease immediately. 8 and a half years will rush by and the point of no return will be passed. We applaud some but don't actually listen or implement the message, heaven forbid, that would mean discomfort.

Mankind is on a continual move along a morality spectrum. Certain Behaviour today is frowned upon whereas not so long ago, (sometimes less than a generation) that behaviour was considered ok. Smoking is an example. I suspect in the not too distant future (certainly within our lifetimes and we not youngsters) the eating of flesh will be denounced on a broad scale.

Human morality is a strange concept, a post I made previously in jest in that one can eat an animal but not shag (dead or alive) it  is an example of this. Morality I guess is shaped by what affects us less. While the norm is now to eat meat, morality will reflect that. In the future this will change I believe. Animals already have certain rights they did not have not so long ago.

The eating of flesh has gotten man to the top of the food chain in the evolutionary struggle to survive, but we are no longer in struggle to survive (in the primal sense) so our habits should change to reflect that. From a health perspective the science is fairly clear in that meat is and can lead to certain health risks (we eat to much meat) . We live sedentary lives (cept us cyclists)  no longer hunt etc. Protein can be acquired else where.

Odinson, I suspect you are ahead of your time. One day your beliefs will be adopted fairly widely I believe.

On all facets.

If we are to save mother Earth , a meat based diet has to cease immediately. 8 and a half years will rush by and the point of no return will be passed. We applaud some but don't actually listen or implement the message, heaven forbid, that would mean discomfort.

Mankind is on a continual move along a morality spectrum. Certain Behaviour today is frowned upon whereas not so long ago, (sometimes less than a generation) that behaviour was considered ok. Smoking is an example. I suspect in the not too distant future (certainly within our lifetimes and we not youngsters) the eating of flesh will be denounced on a broad scale.

Human morality is a strange concept, a post I made previously in jest in that one can eat an animal but not shag (dead or alive) it is an example of this. Morality I guess is shaped by what affects us less. While the norm is now to eat meat, morality will reflect that. In the future this will change I believe. Animals already have certain rights they did not have not so long ago.

The eating of flesh has gotten man to the top of the food chain in the evolutionary struggle to survive, but we are no longer in struggle to survive (in the primal sense) so our habits should change to reflect that. From a health perspective the science is fairly clear in that meat is and can lead to certain health risks (we eat to much meat) . We live sedentary lives (cept us cyclists) no longer hunt etc. Protein can be acquired else where.

Great post.