The Veganism Thread

Odinson

We can only make the best decisions possible based on the evidence available.

The key is to use actual evidence not anecdotal evidence and do as much research as possible.

For me (and this is a personal point) it involved changing my current degree slightly to incorporate nutritional subjects - specifically in the college of sciences. As well as a part time personal trainer course (although admittedly this was more to improve understanding of fitness and heart rate training) and then to read read read.

I have read so many books on plant based and omnivorous diets it is probably unhealthy. My opinion is that a plant based diet is ideal BUT as with any diet, you should pay attention to health markers. Regular testing of some of the high risk items (B12, iron, calcium etc) is necessary. I would recommend this sort of philosophy for meat eaters as well.

Ultimately, even if you reduce your meat intake the benefits are substantial. 

On the anecdotal side - my families health has improved since removing meat, although to play devils advocate, it coincided with the same timing for us becoming more health conscious across multiple areas. So we cannot attribute the benefits to the meat alone.

I do think an important distinction should be made between a healthy vegan diet and an unhealthy one. 

Slap chips are vegan - but they aint healthy. 

Its really important for each person to evaluate what they are doing to themselves and the world and make informed (as much as possible) choices into being your best version. That applies to diet and health (mental and physical). Sometimes knowing that you are contributing to a better world is helpful mentally as well.

There is no place for extremist activism of any kind. I despise aggressive activism on all fronts. Left or Right.

Basically, dont be a dick.

Wayne have you read The China Study?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think an important distinction should be made between a healthy vegan diet and an unhealthy one. 

Slap chips are vegan - but they aint healthy. 

I was having a chat to a mate who says he has a vegan that works for him. The guy is super unhealthy though which I found interesting.

Turns out he does no exercise, eats mostly tinned veg(seriously!) and eats tons of white bread.

Now the concept was pretty strange to me, I wouldnt want to eat anything he does and I always thought vegans were healthy people chomping on delicious green veggies. Apparently I was very wrong.

My vegan brother who is one year older than me rode the 94.7 in 2:39

He didn't even train hard for it due to exams. Just note he doesn't have a coach or an expensive bike. I defenitely think it's his vegan diet????

Are you referring to the few isolated cases who bought THC vape juices of eastern origin that had been thinned with vitamin E oils?

The same cases that goverments backed by big tobacco money are trying to use to have vaping banned all over the place?

Bottom line is that gathering a bunch of anecdotal "facts" and stringing them together in a post looks good but is often questionable in terms of its validity. 

Just a thought.

I had to check my bias on this one - I don't think vaping is a good idea in the first place.

The current state of play is 8 suspected deaths and 530 people with suspected vaping illness in the US (suspected by the CDC). Suspected means that there is a very likely connection - like developing a lung disease after starting vaping. They are not yet tied to any specific ingredient, and the vaping products involved do not show an obvious common ingredient between them.

The existing industry is looking for volunteers to continue with the vaping experiment until the connection is sufficiently well proven to be able to regulate appropriately.

Dates? Figs?

I’m going with dates. I can’t turn a corner here and not see those things....

Side note: I’ve grown to love eating them on rides. Pop a few in your jersey pocket, don’t choke on the pip and bam!!! Lekker energy source.

My vegan brother who is one year older than me rode the 94.7 in 2:39

He didn't even train hard for it due to exams. Just note he doesn't have a coach or an expensive bike. I defenitely think it's his vegan diet

sure

I’m going with dates. I can’t turn a corner here and not see those things....

Side note: I’ve grown to love eating them on rides. Pop a few in your jersey pocket, don’t choke on the pip and bam!!! Lekker energy source.

No no no, there are NOT to used as pockets! The saddle bag unions will strike if you put things in your back pockets!

Care to share more on this?

Sure.

But remember that this coincided with a general movement towards general health being better. So not only attributed to diet, but diet being a contributory factor and some of this is anecdotal.

• Fat loss, Muscle gain (I go for full body scans regularly. BF dropped 4% and weight stayed similar)
  • Improved athletic performance - can run a 21km in under 2 hours (around 1h50) and my recovery is a lot smoother than before (I struggled to run over 15km before making the changes)
  • Sleep better
  • Psychologically, I feel better about my choices like I am part of a solution and not contributing to a problem
  • Have been eating really well. Like seriously, Cooking at home has become WAY better than restaurants, so we save money and are having better meals.
  • My daughter has struggled with bad eczema her whole life, since going plant based, her rashes have disappeared
  • Both kids used to be really constipated a lot of the time - now they are regular.
  • My farts used to be so bad that it was a national health hazard. Now they are only a municipal hazard.
  • I used to get really bloated and sore after most meals. Especially after cheese, I used to bloat up with a big boep. That doesnt happen anymore.
  • As a family, we feel like we have a lot more energy. 

I mean, its a highlights reel and to be fair, we were not in terrible shape to begin with. Some of our friends that have gone plant based were far unhealthier to begin with and their results have been more dramatic. A good mate here in Auckland had incredibly high cholesterol and blood pressure. He was prescribed a whole bunch of meds. He cut out meat and went plant based and all of his stats are nearing the normal range (he is not quite there but getting close) Ironically, he had no idea I was plant based, and I had no idea he was doing this but at a function I noticed what he was eating and he noticed my meal choices and we realized what was going on. See, some Vegans don't feel the need to run around declaring veganism to all who care listen. (cheeky jab)  :whistling:

I think what I am trying to say is that I feel I have gained a lot more than I have lost. The equation works for me.

I recently had a physical with blood tests and all my markers were great. B12 in the upper normal range, calcium was good. Cholesterol was normal and Iron was spot on.

I don't take any supplements as such but I do drink a coffee every morning made with a B12 fortified soy milk.

Hope that answers the question.

Wayne have you read The China Study?

Yes. Its pretty good (although a slow read because its quite technical)

I also enjoyed "how not to die" by Micheal Greiger (sp?) and the accompanying cookbook which is aptly named "how not to die the cookbook" 

:thumbup: