[Event] Eroica South Africa & NOVA Eroica

Stan Engelbrecht

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okee dokee,

so nova eroica entry in, now to work out which bike to do it on!

NOVA Eroica is a cycling race open to all MODERN ROAD RACING, CYCLOCROSS AND GRAVEL BIKES with carbon, steel, titanium and aluminium frames. The bikes must have a drop handlebar. Exceptions will be made only for the shorter, non competitive routes if there are any in future. For 2018 the event has 1 route:

what exactly is a gravel bike is my next question,

a hardtail with drop handlebars?

this is the winning bike from munga 2016.

carbon hardtail, drop bars...does the suspension fork or too wide tyres disqualify it?

http://www.treadmtb.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Heinrich-Visser-Munga-MTB-Tread-Magazine-EV_04.jpg

(i'll email stan directly, but figured this is a FAQ type of frequently asked question, so others could benefit from the answer)

okee dokee,

so nova eroica entry in, now to work out which bike to do it on!

what exactly is a gravel bike is my next question,

a hardtail with drop handlebars?

this is the winning bike from munga 2016.

carbon hardtail, drop bars...does the suspension fork or too wide tyres disqualify it?

http://www.treadmtb.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Heinrich-Visser-Munga-MTB-Tread-Magazine-EV_04.jpg

(i'll email stan directly, but figured this is a FAQ type of frequently asked question, so others could benefit from the answer)

Hi Steve. Thanks for the question. MTBs with drop bars are not allowed, and neither is suspension (including Lauff forks). 

There is no limit on tyre width, but tyres can not be narrower that 28c. 

Let me know if you have any more questions.

See you in Montagu!

Stan.

Last year's Eroica was absolutely *THE* best cycling event I have ever done. This is the type of riding I enjoy, but sadly won't be on the start line this year... Have fun out there!

Oh no!

Glad you enjoyed last year so much though.

Hi Steve. Thanks for the question. MTBs with drop bars are not allowed, and neither is suspension (including Lauff forks). 

See you in Montagu!

Stan.

shot.

when you open a vintage MTB section I will go and prise this out the garage from a friend. it needs some spit and polish, but it will look the part (even if it is a bit on the small side - minor issue)!

post-1830-0-06683400-1549542751_thumb.jpg

Edited by juan pelota

• 1 month later...

Hi vintage steel riders! Eroica South Africa is a week away, and I hope you are all prepared for a great weekend. Entries will be closing this Wednesday 6 March 2019, so if there are still family and friends who you know want to join us, please get them to register as soon as possible. 

Here is some important information you need to know for the weekend of the event.

PROGRAM

Friday 15 March 2019

Registration : You can pick up your riders numbers from the MMACC from 16:00 until 20:00.

Concourse : We will host a vintage bicycle concourse at 18:00. The best and rarest and most beautiful will be judged and awarded. Please get in touch with me at info@eroicasouthafrica.com if you are wanting to enter some bicycles for display and judging. You can enter as many as you like, and entry is free. 

Dinner (not our official dinner) : There are not many options for dinner in Montagu, so in addition to old favourites like Ye Olde Tavern (+2723 614 2398) and 22 Church Street Restaurant (+27236141200), we've arranged for Rambling Rose to be open for dinner too. You can book by chatting to Cay or Sergio on +27834014503 or at ramblingrosemontagu@gmail.com

Saturday 16 March 2019

Late registration : For those of you who cannot collect your numbers etc. on Friday, you can do so between 06:30 and 07:30 on Saturday morning.

Start times : At 07:30 the 135km group will start, followed by the NOVA riders at 08:00. The 90km riders will set off at 08:30 and the 45km group at 09:00.

Routes : Each rider will receive a map, and the routes will be clearly marked. But remember, people do get lost. Don’t simply follow the riders in front of you - pay attention to the route markers. Please report to a marshal and get your map stamped at each of the rest stops so we can keep track of you all. Important - carry enough water with you, and some extra food if you eat a lot. Especially on the 135km and NOVA routes.

Massages : For those of you who would like to pre-book a massage from Susan Retief of Montagu, get in touch with her at completehealthandbody@gmail.com. Susan will be set up at the Festival venue, so you’ll be able to find her without straying too far. She’s really good!

Official dinner : Please book your tickets for the official dinner on Saturday at 19:00 as soon as possible. Remember that you cannot attend this dinner if you do not pre-book. Tickets for the 3-course Italian-style dinner are R200 each, and you can book here - https://eroicasouthafrica.com/about

Sunday 17 March 2019

Unofficial breakfast ride : On Sunday morning we will meet at the old church at the top of Kerk street and have our official/unofficial jaunt around Montagu to take in a few sights, have the chance to check out each other’s bikes one last time, and divide ourselves amongst the 3 or 4 breakfasts spots to eat something and say out goodbyes. 

See you in Montagu!

Stan.

Checkpoint checked and on point, route in phone and offline maps loaded, saddlebag packed, nutrition planned, supper in montagu booked, have to head back to ct after the ride but nova eroica here comes Mamil.

See you in Montagu!

Stan.

Hi Stan

Not sure I understand. Why say "open to all moden road racing, cyclocross and gravel bikes..."but then ban a use of a road/gravel suspension fork. Surely a suspension fork is a component that makes (some) road/gravel bikes modern?

Look forward to your reply.

Watch out for the camera wielding One Arm Bandit - that'll be me. With my recent accident, I've been demoted / promoted to grumpy team manager / photographer. But I still plan to have a great weekend even though it will not include riding myself. The Merckx will still get an outing courtesy of young D. See you all there.

Expecting more talk and buzz here, but I guess old school bike events don't do forums!

Lank excited to make my gravel bike debut at the nova. Just managed to avoid the n+1, with a borrowed beast via a family connection.

My sources on top of ouberg pass tell me it rained plenty last weekend. But it should all have soaked up by now

Quick question, apart from a payment confirmation email in Italian. Should I have received any emails about entering?

I'm on the mailing list so have been getting all of that for years

............... apart from a payment confirmation email in Italian. Should I have received any emails about entering?............

No, that's all you need, just rock up at the registration table and they'll welcome you with a smile.

Just to add a bit to the buzz, I went for a wardrobe test today and all worked well ;

See you all on Saturday!

Edit: can’t add the pic from my phone.

Edited by Barry_W

GOOD LUCK TO ALL EROICA RIDERS FOR TOMORROW.

Unfortunately, won't make it this year. First year I've missed an Eroica  ride for a good few years. To all my friends riding, enjoy, it's the fun, camaraderie and friendship.

HAVE FUN.

I've got a choice of classics I built up to do this event but sadly I'm going to miss out again due to working at the Cape Epic :thumbdown: I really wish Eroica would consider changing the date of this event as it conflicts with the Epic every year.

Enjoy the event and take lots of photos to share with us who can't make it please.

I've got a choice of classics I built up to do this event but sadly I'm going to miss out again due to working at the Cape Epic :thumbdown: I really wish Eroica would consider changing the date of this event as it conflicts with the Epic every year.

Enjoy the event and take lots of photos to share with us who can't make it please.

might be deliberate ploy, epic attracts a certain type of hype!