Sram GX / XO1 / XX1 12 Speed mileage

ct_rider

Reviving an old thread, my xx1 chain sits at .5 wear, bikeshop says xx1 cassette can still do circa 5k km. Starting to slip in smallest cog under heavy load. Can i change chain now or will it be a bad decision? Or can it just be fine tuning? 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviving an old thread, my xx1 chain sits at .5 wear, bikeshop says xx1 cassette can still do circa 5k km. Starting to slip in smallest cog under heavy load. Can i change chain now or will it be a bad decision? Or can it just be fine tuning? 

Close up photo of the small cog maybe? It sounds like that cog is pretty worn for a 0.5 chain to skip. You'll probably find that a new chain will also skip in some of the other cogs too, for the first 1000ish km until it stretches to a snug fit. A new chain will extend the remaining life of the cassette a bit, but you'll need to ride gentle(high cadence) and avoid that small cog for a while.

replace the chain now

Just replaced xx1 eagle chain after 7k km. 

Running XX1 cassette that definitely still have miles left on it. Bottom 4 cogs show signs of wear and the rest is almost spotless.

Under load the bottom few cogs slips. Under normal/high cadence its all good. The shifting up and down is fine too.

Normal?

Close up photo of the small cog maybe? It sounds like that cog is pretty worn for a 0.5 chain to skip. You'll probably find that a new chain will also skip in some of the other cogs too, for the first 1000ish km until it stretches to a snug fit. A new chain will extend the remaining life of the cassette a bit, but you'll need to ride gentle(high cadence) and avoid that small cog for a while.

Just replaced xx1 eagle chain after 7k km. 

Running XX1 cassette that definitely still have miles left on it. Bottom 4 cogs show signs of wear and the rest is almost spotless.

Under load the bottom few cogs slips. Under normal/high cadence its all good. The shifting up and down is fine too.

Normal?

Not quite should be faultless across all cogs. You probably running a chain ring that's too small (34) so spending a lot of time in the smallest sprockets and was the chain worn to between 0.5 and 0.6% wear?

I got 12500km on my gx 12speed casette with 5 gx chains. But my opinion the gx chains are crap. Kmc gold or xo1 or xx1 is the best. 5000km on x01 5000km on kmc gold and 5000km on xx1 chain and chain is on 0.75 on all 3. Clean chain every 100km - 200km depending on condition. I only use smoove lube. My 2cents

Not quite should be faultless across all cogs. You probably running a chain ring that's too small (34) so spending a lot of time in the smallest sprockets and was the chain worn to between 0.5 and 0.6% wear?

Didn't check wear before I replaced chain but assume it was heading towards 0.7. Having changed crank & chainring, I thought best chain chain as well.

No slipping issues before it was changed.

I clean cassette and chain thoroughly at least once a week. 

I was running a 34 Oval but changed to 34 round. 

0.7 is too much chain wear for eagle. It will take a while for the chain to settle into those last few sprockets. I have a cassette from my previous bike where I ran the chain too long. It’s my worn chain winter cassette now

I got 12500km on my gx 12speed casette with 5 gx chains. But my opinion the gx chains are crap. Kmc gold or xo1 or xx1 is the best. 5000km on x01 5000km on kmc gold and 5000km on xx1 chain and chain is on 0.75 on all 3. Clean chain every 100km - 200km depending on condition. I only use smoove lube. My 2cents

Got a GX Cassette and XX1 Rainbow chain now for 2000 km not even 0.5 wear. The anodising really improves that model of chains durability.

Didn't check wear before I replaced chain but assume it was heading towards 0.7. Having changed crank & chainring, I thought best chain chain as well.

No slipping issues before it was changed.

I clean cassette and chain thoroughly at least once a week. 

I was running a 34 Oval but changed to 34 round.

Sorry, a little off topic. I’m on a 34 oval at the moment and considering a 34 round when this one is worn. Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not convinced an oval makes any real difference. Your experience please?

currently on 7000km on one GX cassette and one GX chain. they both have wear but no slipping yet 

Morning.

Would someone be kind enough to explain the methodology of rotating chains to increase life span of cassette?

I currently have a chain (GX) on 1000km, but showing no measurable signs of stretch on a cassette with the same km. Do I replace chain now(before wear) or do I wait for measurable (0.5 or 0.75?) wear before changing?

your 21T sprocket looks quite worn.

funny that the 21T is actually fine but the lower 4 cogs that slip