Sram GX / XO1 / XX1 12 Speed mileage

ct_rider

That friend is very clever.  Or maybe he just had a look at the instructions on how to setup the Eagle derailleur.  SRAM made if very clear that the B-Gap tool should be used when the bike is at the desired sag position.  

Anyway, sort out that noise, I don't want to ride with someone this weekend with a noisy bike.  

Ja Coenie, jy is slim. 

Maak jou fiets al minder geraas? Ek luister al weeke lank na daai lawaai!

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will give that a go. Interestingly a friend of mine says he uses that tool with the bike at it's sag point and gets better results - your point supports that.

Yes for FS bikes one has to set the b gap with the bike loaded to the sag point

Ja Coenie, jy is slim. 

Maak jou fiets al minder geraas? Ek luister al weeke lank na daai lawaai!

Nuwe chain ring het vandag hier aangekom.  Ek join nou officially ook die bling bling club.  Hopelik gaan my bike nou mooi stil wees.

Hi all, what chain lube is best for these drivetrains?

Previously used squirt, I am finding that it's attracting a fair amount of dirt.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/188037-squirt-lube/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3764201

i tend to make my own lube to stay out of What lube fights and debates.

but yes Squirt makes a mess if you apply too much.

Smoove makes a mess if you apply too much

BAT makes a mess if you apply to much

Muchoff is a ripoff

for a cleaner easier to clean drivetrain, Finishline Wet lube is great

if using wax, expect it to pack onto your chainrings and derailleur jockey pulley wheels

Edited by DieselnDust

Boys quick Question, went to go and buy new xx1 eagle chain, checking youtube vids now.. must i shorten the chain still? Same as what i had on. 

Edited by Carmichael

Just replaced xx1 eagle chain after 7k km. 

Running XX1 cassette that definitely still have miles left on it. Bottom 4 cogs show signs of wear and the rest is almost spotless.

Under load the bottom few cogs slips. Under normal/high cadence its all good. The shifting up and down is fine too.

Normal?

So in the meantime I put my old chain back as the slipping made riding less enjoyable. Will change cassette and chain together within the next week or so...

Seems me running chain too long killed the cassette (3 cogs at least) way sooner than it should have. It should still be rideable with a chain with a +1000kms on it.

Expensive lesson learnt 

Only got 1000km on GX chain (0.5). Have replaced with XO. Plan to rotate this chain at 1000km as well. Hopefully the rotating helps me get reasonable km out of the cassette.

The price difference between the XO1 and XX1 chains is 10%,smalk enough to trump up to XX1 and then rotate 2 off. Replace both chains well before 0.5% like 0.25 to 0.3 % and the cassette will last a long time

The price difference between the XO1 and XX1 chains is 10%,smalk enough to trump up to XX1 and then rotate 2 off. Replace both chains well before 0.5% like 0.25 to 0.3 % and the cassette will last a long time

Hi 

Thanks for that input.

The reason I went with the XO1 over the XX1 was because of the article that was shared here (which  is an in depth study undertaken on the performance and durability of all the Sram chains), which indicated very little difference in performance and durability between the X01 and XX1 chains. My conclusion (and that of the person hat posted the link to the article) is that with the X01 you getting better bang for your buck.  

Did I miss something?

Hi 

Thanks for that input.

The reason I went with the XO1 over the XX1 was because of the article that was shared here (which  is an in depth study undertaken on the performance and durability of all the Sram chains), which indicated very little difference in performance and durability between the X01 and XX1 chains. My conclusion (and that of the person hat posted the link to the article) is that with the X01 you getting better bang for your buck.  

Did I miss something?

That was the conclusion of the article, correct.

Someone needs to join half an XO1 chain with half an XX1 chain and measure wear with a digital guage of each half over time...similar to what this guy did with Shimano.

https://youtu.be/ZrCp52b34Uk

Hi 

Thanks for that input.

Did I miss something?

The XX1 has consistently outlasted the X01 by a factor of 3x in my experience. I read that article and dismissed it as nonsense. Even SRAM wouldn't expected 6000km out of the X01. Their guidance was roughly 2500km and I achieved 2300 on one.

not worth the 10% saving.