Sram GX / XO1 / XX1 12 Speed mileage

ct_rider

Okay I was patiently waiting for my chain to reach .5 wear to replace it, see if it improved my shifting. BIG MISTAKE !

Now on the new chain the shifting is much better, but the small cog is un-rideable, so unfortunately back to the old chain... I'll go with it until it's ******, then I'll have to get a new cassette for the new chain :(

I can only recommend what dieselindust says, change at .3 or the second your shifting starts feeling a bit slow/bit *** instead of waiting till you reach .5, your wallet will thank you (and you'll enjoy riding your bike a lot more instead of moaning about your poor shifting for months like I did)

Shimano XTR CN-M9100 chain / XT CS-M8100 12spd cassette

KMs more or less?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can't say unfortunately I bought the bike 2nd hand. I did 1500km on it, before me the guy had it for 9 months and before him it was a demo bike. I'll finish this cassette and then put new cassette / new chain and from there count my km.

Have any of you ever tried running partly worn chains on your partly worn cassettes to stretch their lifespan? I started doing this on my 1x10. The cassette is on its second bike and is a cheap Sunrace. I've bent the 42 twice and straightened it and its missing teeth. Still works fine as long as I put a 50% worn chain on it. The issue is sourcing such chains. I have 2 x donor bikes that get fresh chains more regularly.

As mentioned in a previous post I run worn chains on the one worn X01 cassette in winter. May as well stretch the life of both cassette and chain

• 2 months later...

What is the verdict with regards to using shimano 12 speed chains on eagle groupsets?

The SRAM chains are great. The chain and cassette should match IMO. You can swop around the other stuff.

Update on X01 Eagle cassette: 12,389km.

On my third XX1 chain now. This chain has about 1,500km now and no sign of wear. The cassette accepted the new chain without issues. I did a few >800W efforts on all gears to test it and all good.

So, I'll carry on :)

Update on X01 Eagle cassette: 12,389km.

On my third XX1 chain now. This chain has about 1,500km now and no sign of wear. The cassette accepted the new chain without issues. I did a few >800W efforts on all gears to test it and all good.

So, I'll carry on :)

Wow, great mileage!

I’m on 7 544 km on GX cassette. Been rotating 2 gx chains, every month, and even though both chains are passed the 0.5 mark, no slipping at all.

Im on close to 7000km on GX cassette with 1 x GX original chain, just going to ride it till it starts slipping.  

This is a very expensive strategy.

The chain will not start slipping this way until it is too late. The cassette will wear with the chain, just a bit slower. First shifting quality will drop, the chain will do funny things with the jockey wheels, and it will also wear your chainring. Once this chain slips you will need to replace chain, cassette and chainring. 

Don't do that.

Replace your chains when they reach 0.5%.The XX1 chains last >5000km if you clean them regularly and lube them well. Keep those 0.5% chains.

Only when the cassette makes a new chain slip, then start rotating the old chains. 

This will multiply the mileage you get out of cassette and chainring.

Much much cheaper running costs.

I’m on 7 544 km on GX cassette. Been rotating 2 gx chains, every month, and even though both chains are passed the 0.5 mark, no slipping at all.

Similar answer as to the post above. If the cassette accepts a new chain better keep on using new chains. No need to rotate yet.

OK so you're going to replace the cassette and chains when you are done?

That’s the plan. Bought a cassette and two chains, new, from a guy on The Hub about 6 months ago, but I’m going to ride this for as long as possible. Shifting etc still all good.

Im on my second chain on Eagle GX. First chain (lasted 1100km and measured 0.5% with Park Tool tool). Bought a XX1 Gold chain and have now done 7500 MORE KM and not close to 0.5%. Spending more on the bling chain is very worth it. Oh and same cassette. Been through 2 chainrings. I think Absolute Black and CSIXX Ovals dont last as long as OEM.....

Edited by love2fly