Shoes - what? where?

Furbz

So it is about time for me to change my shoes.

i'm currently riding Gaerne Stilo and i love them. but at R7k plus (might be 8k now) i'm not sure i want to shell out that sort of tom.

i see Cyclelab has DMT - i like the brand, but the ones on display all look like they will not breathe enough for our hot summer days.

so the question is who stocks what?

and do they have a decent selection?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also riding with Gaerne Stilo on the road & have fairly recently (2500km or so) started using Catlike MTB shoes.

I'd definitely suggest having a look at them, they'd be top of my list if I was in the market for road shoes.

In CT Catlike are sold by Cycle Teqnix.

I am also looking for new shoes...dont know what to do about my shimano xc7 (they have been replaced once and the new ones have been sent back again)

I looked around ...did some research (clearly not enough) and found what i  thought would be the ideal shoe for both mtb and road use...they even look good.

When i first got them...i thought what an awesome shoe they have everything i need...a little tight at first but after a couple rides they fit perfect.

i found the boa system handy while riding...being able to adjust on the go...i did find they come loose on a long ride. ..but told that happens with that system.

the carbon sole sole gets a thumbs up...nice and stiff and having the rubber in the middle ...certainly helps while out on the mtb...especially when you cant clip in straight away...the only down side was walking around off the bike...not as easy as my old mtb shoes (but to be expected with a carbon sole)

having a shoe with so much bling makes you not want to get them dirty while riding in the mud.

the only downside to these shoes is the issue i have been having with them...for some reason the upper toe section creates hard ridges which after an hour in the saddle starts pushing on my toe nails.

I tried on the Gaerne stilo before i bought the xc7 ...man what a comfortable shoe...i couldnt bring myself to spend the R5400 (asking price at solomens) for a shoe i could only use for road riding...i am waiting for a response from shimano...i am at a point where i am considering just sticking to my old faithful R900 cheapie shimino mtb shoes which i have had for years and still working...and rather requesting a refund and using the money to upgrade to the gaerne road shoe.

I am also looking for new shoes...dont know what to do about my shimano xc7 (they have been replaced once and the new ones have been sent back again)

I looked around ...did some research (clearly not enough) and found what i  thought would be the ideal shoe for both mtb and road use...they even look good.

When i first got them...i thought what an awesome shoe they have everything i need...a little tight at first but after a couple rides they fit perfect.

i found the boa system handy while riding...being able to adjust on the go...i did find they come loose on a long ride. ..but told that happens with that system.

the carbon sole sole gets a thumbs up...nice and stiff and having the rubber in the middle ...certainly helps while out on the mtb...especially when you cant clip in straight away...the only down side was walking around off the bike...not as easy as my old mtb shoes (but to be expected with a carbon sole)

having a shoe with so much bling makes you not want to get them dirty while riding in the mud.

the only downside to these shoes is the issue i have been having with them...for some reason the upper toe section creates hard ridges which after an hour in the saddle starts pushing on my toe nails.

I tried on the Gaerne stilo before i bought the xc7 ...man what a comfortable shoe...i couldnt bring myself to spend the R5400 (asking price at solomens) for a shoe i could only use for road riding...i am waiting for a response from shimano...i am at a point where i am considering just sticking to my old faithful R900 cheapie shimino mtb shoes which i have had for years and still working...and rather requesting a refund and using the money to upgrade to the gaerne road shoe.

this was your first hint that you possibly didnt think this thru :whistling: 

ps there are no unicorns either

I have a pair of Fizik R1. The dual BOA makes micro adjusting on the fly very easy.

Those look the business.

I have a pair of Fizik R1. The dual BOA makes micro adjusting on the fly very easy. 

they look great,

historically Sidi have always been to narrow for my fat foot

they look great,

historically Sidi have always been to narrow for my fat foot

Try Lakeshoes.co.za

Lakes come in a wide but the std fit already has a wide toebox and forefoot without increasing the overall volume of the shoe massively like other brands

I ride with Sidi shoes for both MTB and Road... Also have a wider foot and find the Sidi Mega range to be the perfect fit!

I ride with Sidi shoes for both MTB and Road... Also have a wider foot and find the Sidi Mega range to be the perfect fit!

Are you using the most recent models.?

There were suggestions that Sidi changed its last on newer models ... most shoes supposedly a bit wider/more volume even the standard/non mega models.

May be worth a fit for anybody who had width issues previously.

No denying Sidi pedigree.

But as they say, only if the shoe fits. :)

What was the issue with your Shimano XC7s?

My XC7 shoes have been great, I've been using them for over 2 years on both road and MTB, mostly XC. I was looking for a shoe I could use for both road and MTB, plus always great to be able to walk around easily. I broke one of the BOA dial in a crash, but was able to source a replacement - otherwise they still look good. I will probably be looking at buying the 2019 version later this year.

Archived