For the aviation fans

Lotus

I recall one of the human interest stories after the AF 447 flight was about a French family of 4 (2 parents, 2 children) who always believed in flying as 1 parent & 1 child in two separate planes so that a plane crash would not get them all. Two of them perished on that flight. I just think the guilt that the surviving two family members would have must be so hard to bear that was it worth it? Sometimes cold, hard science is one thing (i.e. maximising the chance to have the family genes continue), but emotions must be another.

Not a chance in this house. Rather all of us at once than one left behind...

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly....

The ill fated Ethiopian 737 flew from Joburg to Adis on the same morning, the flight before....

The copilot, had very low hours.... 200 reportedly

The Captain had over 8000 hrs

Very unlikely the First Officer could only have had 200 hours flying time, why I could be a FO then :)

According to others that have picked up this number it seems the 200 hours is with Ethopian

Very unlikely the First Officer could only have had 200 hours flying time, why I could be a FO then :)

According to others that have picked up this number it seems the 200 hours is with Ethopian

It’s a devious scheme by some airlines to solve the pilot availability problem and to short track pilots straight from flying school to the RH seat.

Think they call it a MPL.... multi purpose license LOL

No actually it’s a Multicrew Pilot License.... not even the same as a Commercial Pilots License. Typical they have very low actual flying experience (hrs) and probably more time flying in a Simulator.

Anyway, it’s just an interesting point, don’t want to blame it on the copilot.

Interesting

The more local authorities (ie anyone other than the FAA) start doing this is, it points to their being potentially something major wrong that needs to be fixed and not just a random *** luck event.

Read some interesting stuff on the Max series which I never realised before today.... google MCAS 737 Max and why they introduced it (MCAS)

I see that overnight the UK and EU have also stopped the Max flights. KInd of leaves the FAA in the US exposed. I do recall from some of the  Air Crash Investigations (how credible they are as sources is another matter) about how much political and commercial pressure is brought to bear on the FAA/NTSB not to ground the mainstream American commercial airliners unless the evidence is overwhelming. 

I see that overnight the UK and EU have also stopped the Max flights. KInd of leaves the FAA in the US exposed. I do recall from some of the Air Crash Investigations (how credible they are as sources is another matter) about how much political and commercial pressure is brought to bear on the FAA/NTSB not to ground the mainstream American commercial airliners unless the evidence is overwhelming.

Regarding the FAA/USA

It might be that the US Operators are ahead of the game and their pilots are better prepared for the MAX.

Going though my old hard drive has made me realise I have spotted some interesting planes along the way. This must be Boeing least attractive model - 747 conversion into the  Dreamlifter for carrying 787 components around. Seen at Paine Field, on an Everett Boeing factory tour. Unfortunately no photos allowed inside. 

post-4257-0-31276900-1552457281_thumb.jpg

Going though my old hard drive has made me realise I have spotted some interesting planes along the way. This must be Boeing least attractive model - 747 conversion into the  Dreamlifter for carrying 787 components around. Seen at Paine Field, on an Everett Boeing factory tour. Unfortunately no photos allowed inside. 

The second prototype 787 was on the production line inside the factory when I visited. But that factory is just huge - if you have a few hours spare its worth doing research on in itself.

I see that Germany has banned the 737 Max 8 from flying in German Airspace yesterday.

EASA as well, via an EASA Airworthiness Directive

EASA = EU Aviation authority

Edited by SwissVan

EASA as well, via an EASA Airworthiness Directive

EASA = EU Aviation authority

FAA=Federal Aviation Administration

EASA=European Aviation Safety Agency

CAA=Civil Aviation Authority

Via Twitter:

Breaking news: @CNN has learned that at least 5 pilots in the US reported problems controlling Boeing 737 Max 8 jets during critical moments of flight in recent months, according to records in a federal government incident database.  Why are these jets still flying in the US???

https://twitter.com/javimorgado/status/1105766895662309376

Also heard a rumor that there has been at least 2 double in flight engine shutdowns. 

Also heard a rumor that there has been at least 2 double in flight engine shutdowns. 

If this plays out the way it seems to be heading at present, I will not at all be surprised if Boeing faces some insane class-action law suit by relatives of all people who died in both Lion Air and Ethiopian. Some astute lawyers will be making sure that this never gets out of sight of the interested and affected, as they most likely foresee a big payday approaching, albeit at a slow pace.