For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I glean from Avcom is that the MAX was marketed as not needing an extensive retraining exercise for present 7373 pilots, making it an attractive purchase.  But the glitch may not be just software as new engines required a change in the aircraft layout which may make it less stable in these "runaway trim" / conflicting computer input type situations.Bring back the pilot :devil:

Pure software was the Quantas Airbus 330 in 1996 or so, sending the 'plane into steep dives, barely controllable.  Good outcome though. Do Quantas boast they've never lost a passenger?

What incident was this?

As someone who has order and replace a few of these it irritates me when the reporters can get the name right. But it's also just my OCD kicking in. I will give them some points for getting it mostly right. The full correct name is DFDR(Digital Flight Data Recorder). I am also glad to see that they included the CVR in their article. 

Media get it often wrong - how many presenters on the likes of CNN and NBC etc  kept on about the engines on the Max being moved closer to the fuselage (they were moved forward for clearance) and getting confused between the 787 and the 737 etc

Anyway that aircraft must have hit mother earth some some incredible velocity given the way it was smashed up to bits like this. Imaging the horrific task of retrieving bodies and body parts.

Edited by kosmonooit

Media get it often wrong -how many on the liked of CNN and NBC etc  kept on about the engines on the Max being moved closer to the fuselage (they were moved forward for clearance) and getting confused between the 787 and the 737 etc

Anyway that aircraft must have hit mother earth some some incredible velocity given the way it was smashed up to bits like this. Imaging the horrific task of retrieving bodies and body parts.

Remember once watching an episode of Air Accident Investigation of a DC10 that went down after the cargo door ripped out and with the resulting depresurisation (spelling) the cabin floor got ripped down ripping the haudralic lines lines apart.  The Aircraft hit the ground (not vertically) at well over 400 knots.  The relatives had to identify the victims by what belongins they could find as there was hardly big enough body  parts to identify  the passangers.  Once guy found the ring of his fiance.  The rings was not round anymore.

Correct. The have never had a hull loss so are considered the safest airline in the world. They had an incident a few years back where they made a plan to fix and ferry(fly with no pax on board) the aircraft back to oz. They then retired the aircraft there. In the link above, read at the bottom under damage.

The common Rainman myth. It's correct only if you make clear that you are referring to jet aircraft. Or maybe stretch to post-war multi-engine prop planes. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qantas_fatal_accidents

Remember once watching an episode of Air Accident Investigation of a DC10 that went down after the cargo door ripped out and with the resulting depresurisation (spelling) the cabin floor got ripped down ripping the haudralic lines lines apart.  The Aircraft hit the ground (not vertically) at well over 400 knots.  The relatives had to identify the victims by what belongins they could find as there was hardly big enough body  parts to identify  the passangers.  Once guy found the ring of his fiance.  The rings was not round anymore.

As an appy I worked for a small AMO and we only worked on CESSNA piston engine aircraft. We did a lot of work on the 210 and my boss(owner of the AMO and retired SAA captain) knew the aircraft like the back of his hand. There was a crash in walkerville where a 210 that was for sale was being test flown by a very experience pilot that the owner knew, the guy wanting to buy it and his accountant. The SACAA and insurance company contacted my boss to do the investigation. The guy wanting to buy it was hindu and his religion meant he had to be buried in a certain time frame. It was barely hours after the accident and the wife and kids were at the scene picking up pieces of body to bury. They didn't know who's pieces it was but they needed something. It was so sad. The kids were still young man. I didn't agree with them being there but that is a discussion for another thread.

There’s been a few pisscat flying school planes landing on the highways around Rand airport... not sure if they were as spectacular as that Canadian effort

I can just imagine a taxi full of passengers having a plane land next to it on the highway.

As an appy I worked for a small AMO and we only worked on CESSNA piston engine aircraft. We did a lot of work on the 210 and my boss(owner of the AMO and retired SAA captain) knew the aircraft like the back of his hand. There was a crash in walkerville where a 210 that was for sale was being test flown by a very experience pilot that the owner knew, the guy wanting to buy it and his accountant. The SACAA and insurance company contacted my boss to do the investigation. The guy wanting to buy it was hindu and his religion meant he had to be buried in a certain time frame. It was barely hours after the accident and the wife and kids were at the scene picking up pieces of body to bury. They didn't know who's pieces it was but they needed something. It was so sad. The kids were still young man. I didn't agree with them being there but that is a discussion for another thread.

[Caution may disturb some folks]

Also have a horror story regarding a crash in Angola from high altitude. When they eventually found the crash site it was just a hole in the ground... my boss at the time also went as part of the accident investigation and he used the term mincemeat

On the crash topic, I watched Dave Stock fly and crash the English Electric Lightning, ZU-BEX, at TFDC Overberg Fly-In back in 2009.

That was a sad day, and I was taking pics of him rotate in-front of me on take-off. I remember seeing trailing smoke from under the fuselage, and about 5 or so minutes later, he called Pan, Pan, Pan and vectored away from the airfield. The runway nets were raised, and as he was burning away fuel, he suddenly went inverted, and rolled into a nose down attitude spiraling to the ground.

A man who was beside me was listening over a radio, and he went ash white and said he just heard Dave over the radio tell ATC his ejection seat failed, and he was going in, and to tell her he loves her, and then nothing.

Out on the horizon, a large ball of flame and then a column of black smoke filled the distant sky.

Immediately followed by a number of Oryx departing and fire trucks roaring off into the distance.

It is a day that will forever be stuck in my mind. I still remember not taking pictures of him after he spiraled, knowing his fate.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n793r

On the crash topic, I watched Dave Stock fly and crash the English Electric Lightning, ZU-BEX, at TFDC Overberg Fly-In back in 2009.

That was a sad day, and I was taking pics of him rotate in-front of me on take-off. I remember seeing trailing smoke from under the fuselage, and about 5 or so minutes later, he called Pan, Pan, Pan and vectored away from the airfield. The runway nets were raised, and as he was burning away fuel, he suddenly went inverted, and rolled into a nose down attitude spiraling to the ground.

A man who was beside me was listening over a radio, and he went ash white and said he just heard Dave over the radio tell ATC his ejection seat failed, and he was going in, and to tell her he loves her, and then nothing.

Out on the horizon, a large ball of flame and then a column of black smoke filled the distant sky.

Immediately followed by a number of Oryx departing and fire trucks roaring off into the distance.

It is a day that will forever be stuck in my mind. I still remember not taking pictures of him after he spiraled, knowing his fate.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2n793r

Spine tingling that

Sadly aviation is full of similar tragedies

Stay safe chaps ????