For the aviation fans

Lotus

For those of us that will never get to see it in real life . . . .

Contrails from an A380 seen from a 747

B747 Overtaking B737 Over Bagdad

B747 Fly Past At 36000 Feet.

A few months ago on a A380 from DXB to CDG we flew slap bang through the contrails of another jet at 90° it was quite something to see vortex coming off the wing.

We also had a little drag race with a private jet (I couldn't make out exactly what) but we lost. :P

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months ago on a A380 from DXB to CDG we flew slap bang through the contrails of another jet at 90° it was quite something to see vortex coming off the wing.

We also had a little drag race with a private jet (I couldn't make out exactly what) but we lost. :P

There was an incident 2 years ago when a German private jet flew though the jet wash/contrails of an A380 somewhere over the middel east.  The small jet got thrown around like a toy.  The passangers were seriously injured, but luckily the pilots managed to get control again of the plane and make an emergency landing.

There was an incident 2 years ago when a German private jet flew though the jet wash/contrails of an A380 somewhere over the middel east.  The small jet got thrown around like a toy.  The passangers were seriously injured, but luckily the pilots managed to get control again of the plane and make an emergency landing.

I'm sure I read about that somewhere. We felt nothing, but then it was also an amazing day over the alps and the sky looked like a chess board with all the contrails hanging around, so it could have been there for a few mins before we went through it.

Which airline? I know some airlines had the upper deck as their business or first class. We just had it as normal economy class. The lower deck had first class then business then economy. Then we did away with first and just had business and economy.

SAA in pleb class.

LOL easy money. It's colder and noisier upstairs.

Don't ruin my fond memories of glamour and stardom! :cursing:

They don't call 'em heavies for nothing ... wake turbulence,

Edited by kosmonooit

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 747 and 747SP that came into Rand airport fo the Museum?

There's vids of them landing at Rand somewhere online. I'll look when I get home.

That was a Challenger, like the baby jet I am flying now. The aeroplane was so badly damaged by G Forces during the recovery that it was scrapped. The only thing going in the crews favour was daylight and enough visibilty to distinguish between ocean and sky. The flight instruments basically packed up due to the extreme gyrations of the aerie.......very scary indeed. In the industry we believe that would have been a crash if at night or in cloud.

I pay a lot of attention to crossing aircraft to ensure that if it is an A380 we have enough separation.

Loved this bit about the drag race.

Some years back when flying the Global Express, we took off out of Luton for Los Angeles 10 minutes after the BA 747 out of Heathrow to LAX. Landed 10 mins ahead of them!! The Boss always gets a kick out of passing the airliners over the pond. (Atlantic) Normally though, we fly way north up to 70 degrees north in order to pick up the best tail winds so you diverge away from the airliners. The airliners stay in the North Atlantic Track System which tends to be around the 60 degree Latitude and south.

That was a Challenger, like the baby jet I am flying now. The aeroplane was so badly damaged by G Forces during the recovery that it was scrapped. The only thing going in the crews favour was daylight and enough visibilty to distinguish between ocean and sky. The flight instruments basically packed up due to the extreme gyrations of the aerie.......very scary indeed. In the industry we believe that would have been a crash if at night or in cloud.

I pay a lot of attention to crossing aircraft to ensure that if it is an A380 we have enough separation.

https://aviationweek.com/business-aviation/german-challenger-totaled-after-a380-wake-turbulence

I think after this incident they increased the gap that ATC now prescribe to 3000 feet between an A380 and other aircraft

https://aviationweek.com/business-aviation/german-challenger-totaled-after-a380-wake-turbulence

I think after this incident they increased the gap that ATC now prescribe to 3000 feet between an A380 and other aircraft

Nope, RVSM airspace it is still 1000 feet vertically between opposite direction traffic.

However, we require 7nm (13km) lateral separation on departure and approach from the A380. That is for our little jet in the Medium weight category.

The RVSM tops at FL410. It then reverts back to 2000 ft vertical separation of opposite direction traffic. Sadly our little Challenger is normally in the 36000 to 40000 ft (FL360 to FL400) levels. The Global was normally directly to FL430 or FL450 depending on direction. At those levels, typically above most airliners (especially early in their flights when heavy with fuel), we would get a lot of direct routings in the quieter airspace and therefore save on time and fuel.

y'all buying what Boeing CEO selling here?

On Monday, Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg explained why the company installed MCAS on the 737 Max but didn't disclose the existence of the system to pilots, all while challenging the media's characterization of MCAS as an anti-stall system.

"When you take a look at the original design of the MCAS system. I think in some cases, in the media, it has been reported or described as an anti-stall system, which it is not." Muilenburg told reporters shortly after Boeing's annual shareholder meeting. "It's a system that's designed to provide handling qualities for the pilot that meet pilot preferences."

Muilenburg added, "We want the airplane to behave in the air similar to the previous generation of 737s. That's the preferred pilot feel for the airplane, and MCAS is designed to provide those kinds of handling qualities at a high angle of attack."

"It's a purposeful design. It's something that's designed to be part of how the airplanes fly. So it's part of the certification process," the Boeing CEO said. "It's not something that's a separate procedure or something that needs to be trained on separately."

"It's fundamentally embedded in the handling qualities of the airplane. So when you train on the airplane, you are being trained on MCAS," he added. "It's not a separate system to be trained on."

I think it's a croc of utter shaite, a logical-sounding argument to wash their hands of responsibility.

y'all buying what Boeing CEO selling here?

I think it's a croc of utter shaite, a logical-sounding argument to wash their hands of responsibility.

Although the manual does state there is a system that might trim the nose down, they should have been more explicit, we will see how much they have to pay for their negligence although I think having that system depend of only one sensor is bigger mistake, also not hacing enough visual indications as to what is going on, ffs its so easy with glass cockpits. 

That's the preferred pilot feel for the airplane, and MCAS is designed to provide those kinds of handling qualities at a high angle of attack

Sounds to me like an anti-stalling mechanism. Which to me as a non-expert tells me that the Max handles like a pig on high AOA flight (without the system's intervention).

Edited by Moridin

Although the manual does state there is a system that might trim the nose down, they should have been more explicit, we will see how much they have to pay for their negligence although I think having that system depend of only one sensor is bigger mistake, also not hacing enough visual indications as to what is going on, ffs its so easy with glass cockpits. 

The problem sometimes when techies design a system, is to neglect the user interface to the system.