For the aviation fans

Lotus

I'm flying next month for the first time in many years. It may be small and insignificant compared to how much some of you fly, but I'm looking forward to it.

Going on an A320, an A319 and an ATR42 and then the same in reverse coming back. The Airbus's are SAA, so I hope you've been doing your job well LWB! :ph34r:

When I was living in London, I stayed on the Thames on the 20th floor next to the flight path for London City airport and saw the ATR42/72's coming in all the time. Have always wanted to fly on them since then and am excited to finally be trying it out.

Where the are you going that you need to get there on a ATR42?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm flying next month for the first time in many years.  It may be small and insignificant compared to how much some of you fly, but I'm looking forward to it.

Going on an A320, an A319 and an ATR42 and then the same in reverse coming back.  The Airbus's are SAA, so I hope you've been doing your job well LWB! :ph34r:

When I was living in London, I stayed on the Thames on the 20th floor next to the flight path for London City airport and saw the ATR42/72's coming in all the time.  Have always wanted to fly on them since then and am excited to finally be trying it out. 

Always. Not just a job to me, it's a passion.

I went to the Model Engineer Exhibition a few times back when I lived in the UK. Talented peeps out there! Even the 1/72nds get some amazing detail. I do try and build neatly, as in trimming edges, careful painting etc, but over all, just for fun.

When I moved from Joburg I packed a max of two per shoe box and filled the box with polystyrene bean bag fiiller! All put into larger boxes. All that broke was a drop tank came off the Phantom F4, an easy fix. It was not difficult at all to clear the small polystyrene balls out of the models with a small paint brush.

I fancy to do some of the WWII bombers, in addition to that little Heinkel, but display space is tricky for those bigger models.

I had a few 1:72 and 1:48 models.  Had the F14, F15, F16, Mig 29 among others.  I gave them to a friend just before the move as through the years I had a tough time to maintain them with kids and domestics having a good go at them.  At one stage stored them in my office as I would think they were safer just to walk in on a Monday to find that co-workers who came in for standby duty brought their little ones with into the office and they made good job of damaging my models.  But I have a to admit that the itch is starting and found a good shop in Munich to buy all what I need.  I still have an unbuilt F-22 in the cupboard as well.  Space is still a issue though.

so, your whole intro of "my first flight after many years yada yada yada" was actually just a well disguised fyn brag...

niiiice. climb easy.

I'm actually cycling around it (this is a cycle forum after all...) and up to around 4000m on one day. 

If I wanted a 'fyn brag' I would have added in that I'm going to Zanzibar on the way back :devil:

I'm actually cycling around it (this is a cycle forum after all...) and up to around 4000m on one day. 

If I wanted a 'fyn brag' I would have added in that I'm going to Zanzibar on the way back :devil:

Now you're just being nasty...

Me? Jealous? Never!

The rest of us mere plebs will have to make do with the pics you post on your adventure after you return. 

Are you doing the K2N? 

Kilimanjaro :clap:

Awesome, enjoy it.

Back in around 2004 I had a short term contract out of Dar. One of the local companies had an ATR in maintenance and they contracted our mob to fly for them. I was flying freight at the time. Was a bit different flying pax around. We operated to Kili and Arusha amongst others. I remember the SA flight attendant moaning that I had let a kid check out the cockpit while on the ground in Zanzibar as it was post 9/11 and those dangerous peeps were supposed to be locked out. I never took to the flying with Flight Attendents thing!

Enjoy the ATR, I really loved flying the old Flying Pig!

What is that jet at around 50sec and how on earth can it do that?

I think it is a model aircraft so very light, power to weight ratio is crazy on it, slightly more than MVDP's kick that dropped Nino

I think it is a model aircraft so very light, power to weight ratio is crazy on it, slightly more than MVDP's kick that dropped Nino

Yes, a model, well flown, although a little unrealistic, awesome what models can do though.

Check out the SU27 and Mig 29 for pretty cool maneuvers.

Edited by Spokey