For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apropos funny shaped aeroplanes......

I challenge anybody to watch the first 90 seconds of this and not bookmark it to watch.

A documentary on the RAF getting one Vulcan bomber (about to be broken up for scrap) ready for the then longest bombing raid: bombing the runway at Port Stanley at the outset of the Falklands war. 

Brilliant. Understated RAF humour and daring-do to plan, and execute the mission.

All good fun until the press got hold of the story and announced that they were on their way......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBJ99bIhAVk

Edited by eddy

Looks good on paper but if it was more efficient, then why has no one built one yet? It is no secret that designed properly, nothing in the wing weights anything during flight as aerodynamics takes over. That is why on normal looking aircraft they use the fuel in the fuselage first and then wing fuel. But KLM also wouldn't put down so much cash if they didn't think it would work. Will change aviation if it is successful.

Pffft what do the Dutchies know about building aeroplanes

What a shame Fokker went under. Every once in a blue moon I get a flight on Alliance Air's F100's. Little dated, but goes just as well as anything else. And a little faster than the competitors turboprop Q400's.

I think Alliance recently bought a whole new stash from Europe at bargain prices (less than $1M each if I remember) and now have the largest fleet of Fokkers around.

What a shame Fokker went under. Every once in a blue moon I get a flight on Alliance Air's F100's. Little dated, but goes just as well as anything else. And a little faster than the competitors turboprop Q400's.

I think Alliance recently bought a whole new stash from Europe at bargain prices (less than $1M each if I remember) and now have the largest fleet of Fokkers around.

That just reads funny  :w00t:

Lots going on with the D Day landing anniversary in the U.K. Today, 30min Red Arrows display over Portsmouth and a series of Daks taking off to drop paratroopers over Normandy

Fokker is still around in some form, a year ago one of our aircraft’s horizontal stabilizer was shipped to Fokker in Holland for repair. Fokker manufactured the stabilizer for Gulfstream.

Apropos funny shaped aeroplanes......

I challenge anybody to watch the first 90 seconds of this and not bookmark it to watch.

A documentary on the RAF getting one Vulcan bomber (about to be broken up for scrap) ready for the then longest bombing raid: bombing the runway at Port Stanley at the outset of the Falklands war. 

Brilliant. Understated RAF humour and daring-do to plan, and execute the mission.

All good fun until the press got hold of the story and announced that they were on their way......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBJ99bIhAVk

Thanks Amazing story

I understand that wind-shear is a reason why they "stick" them down so firmly, and OR Tambo is known for this?

Maybe Spokey can comment on that?

Sorry for the delay, have been busy flying for the Eid holidays.

On that video there are some good landings in the conditions, really not all that hard, though that first one from Atlas would rattle the fillings!

In strong cross wind conditions or gusty winds, on all the aeroplanes I have flown, large and small, we deliberately fly to the runway with as short a flare as possible. Gets trickey as you dont want an “arrival” like that Atlass Jumbo, but you cannot afford to float above the runway. You need to get it down, get the wheels spinning up so that the ground spoilers deploy and dump the lift to get max weight onto the wheels for the braking.

A stiff crosswind landing will always feel uncomfortable for passengers in aircraft that crab in and kick straight at the last moment. Cross control of aileron and rudder can produce a very nice landing onto the into wind wheel first and then the downwind mainwheel before lowering the nose wheel for the braking. But not an option on all types. For instance not a good idea on our Global as the chance of a wingtip strike is very high. That will devalue the aeroplane by sevearal million USD, cost several hundred thou to repair and also be very career limiting! Hope that gives some insight.